Cultivated Reef

Infested (Aiptasia)

hochunk

I had an Aptasia anemone sneak in on something and now they threaten to take over my tank.

Here is what I have come up with to hopefully get rid of them:

1. The Pulp Fiction option (pliers and a blowtorch)

2. Bio-warfare: something that eats it

3. Maybe some kind of dip? Acid? Bleach? Peroxide? The only one I can think that wouldn't kill the liverock is the peroxide.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I hate these ugly things. I also don't want to do something ineffective and end up with more of them.

I had an Aptasia anemone sneak in on something and now they threaten to take over my tank.

Here is what I have come up with to hopefully get rid of them:

1. The Pulp Fiction option (pliers and a blowtorch)

2. Bio-warfare: something that eats it

3. Maybe some kind of dip? Acid? Bleach? Peroxide? The only one I can think that wouldn't kill the liverock is the peroxide.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I hate these ugly things. I also don't want to do something ineffective and end up with more of them.

how many you got, there are several options but I keep seeing more ways in my aiptasia collection of how to remove the little anemones.

There are probably at least 10 I can see with my naked eye, plus god knows how many more I can't see. Vile things.

1. Pliers will only spread the nasties. A blowtorch will kill them if you can remove the rock from the tank, and they aren't too close to desirables.

2. Peppermint shrimp and berghia nudibranchs.

3. Get a syringe. You don't need a needle, so you don't need a prescription. Boil some white vinegar. Suck up the hot vinegar into the syringe. Get the syringe close to the mouth of one of the aiptasias. Squirt the hot vinegar into the mouth.

righttirefire

I like to microwave water. Remove the substrate the aptasia is on and use a syringe from my test kits to keep blasting hot water until it drops off

There are probably at least 10 I can see with my naked eye, plus god knows how many more I can't see. Vile things.

that's small, I have made dozens upon dozens grow in my tanks, some grow quicker than others. I notice they occasionally drop off for no apparent reason, sometimes a day after a huge meal they will do that. Strong currents can annoy them to move to a different spot by detaching, putting salt crystals near their base will usually make them move to safety, peppermint shrimp I hear but haven't ever tried. Some crabs will take them out over time. There are other methods that will work for small populations, the babies are the ones that cause the most issues because you don't see them initially. The more you touch them the worse they get.

I personally love the little guys, they are quite pretty.

You realize if I were trying to grow them, the damn things would never grow, right?

I just don't like the way they look. If they were at least vibrantly colored it wouldn't be so bad. Except for them crowding out other stuff I want.

How big do they peak out at amphipod? Pics?

I don't know how big Amphipod's are, but I have 2 or 3 that are a good 2-3" in length. I suspect they don't get much bigger than that, but not sure.

Bet his are bigger. It's the canned gravy he feeds them. Chicken I believe.

I think I just threw up in my mouth. LOL

How big do they peak out at amphipod? Pics?

mine are around 1 inch resting, I don't feed mine More than 4 times weekly so they aren't at maximum potential, here is a full tank shot you can see some of my bigger ones, I seen my biggest get almost 2 inches after I gave it a piece of dead earthworm. The gravy is pretty nice, it gelles up nice also so I have been feeding my crabs the delicacies also.post-84861-0-22582600-1432255011_thumb.jpg

Good memory, it was chicken gravy.

I think I just threw up in my mouth. LOL

what's wrong?

Archived