Innovative Marine Aquariums

Newbie to saltwater and a few questions on setup

whiteblaze11

whiteblaze11

So im a newbie to the whole saltwater but have kept numerous freshwater and dart frogs and have a few questions on my setup I'm planning

Im using a 12x12x12 rimless acrylic cube and planning on building a custom glass lid for it.

my questions are:

1. Is a Zoo med canister 501 nano filter good enough for saltwater or should I use an aqua clear?

2. Im using a left over Ehiem Led 7 watt white fixture and plan on adding the blue fixture too so i can grow corals, is this enough?

3. Will a Hydro Koralia nano circulation pump be too strong?

4. I am planning on using my 25w Cobalt Neo-Therm heater, will this be sufficient enough?

5. Since I'm only planning on stocking it with some soft corals and mushrooms what else could i add? Was thinking a pistol shrimp and goby pair?

I attached a picture of the light fixture also

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks!

post-52180-0-89040200-1432084878.jpg

1. Is a Zoo med canister 501 nano filter good enough for saltwater or should I use an aqua clear?

Either way; although most people feel that HOB power filters are easier to maintain than canister filters.

2. Im using a left over Ehiem Led 7 watt white fixture and plan on adding the blue fixture too so i can grow corals, is this enough?

Any specs on the bulbs (like the number of LEDs, their color spectrum, and optics)?

3. Will a Hydro Koralia nano circulation pump be too strong?

That's a 7.5 gallon tank. A 240gph powerhead would provide 32 times turnover. While that's not too much by itself, when added to the flow provided by the filter, it might be. The flow from just an AquaClear 50 (@ 200gph) would provide 27 times turnover (which should be good).

4. I am planning on using my 25w Cobalt Neo-Therm heater, will this be sufficient enough?

It might work, but I'd probably use a 50W heater.

5. Since I'm only planning on stocking it with some soft corals and mushrooms what else could i add? Was thinking a pistol shrimp and goby pair?

That should be alright.

thecoralbeauty

Pistol shrimp and goby pair!!! I love mine. Just make sure you get a candy stripe pistol and not a tiger stripe- I don't have experience but have heard many a tale of people's tiger pistols being jerks.

I agree with seabass. I think the light will be enough for softies and shrooms but it may not give you the color that you want. As for the power head it may be too much for the lower flow required coral that you mentioned. Good luck with the set-up I hope all goes well for you.

whiteblaze11

Here are the Led details:

The EHEIM PowerLED high output light with 81 interconnected diodes ad 7 watts. It generates 1,200-1,300 LUX at 6,500K. I have been using this one on my freshwater tank, I will be adding a Actinic Blue bulb too and it is 7 watts too. I attached a photo of there details. I would be using the freshwater bulb along with the actinic blue.

​For the filter would a aqua clear 20 be ok?

post-52180-0-89192300-1432155785_thumb.png

Pistol shrimp and goby pair!!! I love mine. Just make sure you get a candy stripe pistol and not a tiger stripe- I don't have experience but have heard many a tale of people's tiger pistols being jerks.

I have a yellow watchmen goby and tiger and they're fun to watch. My tiger is relaxed though. Just digs all day haha

The EHEIM PowerLED high output light with 81 interconnected diodes ad 7 watts. It generates 1,200-1,300 LUX at 6,500K. I have been using this one on my freshwater tank, I will be adding a Actinic Blue bulb too and it is 7 watts too.

It should be bright enough. 6,500K is good for algae, so I would prefer a 10,000K to 12,000K spectrum for a daylight bulb (plus the actinic). But I expect it'll work alright.

For the filter would a aqua clear 20 be ok?

Should be fine.
whiteblaze11

Thanks for all the help guys! Now I'm just trying to figure out how build a custom glass lid for it!

Archived