inTank Media Baskets

Added 3 animals in 1 days into my 6 gallon Fluval Edge. Water chemistry?

iammrhappy123

iammrhappy123

I added another ocelaris (now I have 2 total), small bubble tip anemone (1-1.5 inch diameter), and an orange linckia starfish in 24 hours

Tank is 1.5 months old. No corals.

Salinity - 1.026

Livestock:

2 Young Ocelaris

1 Skunk Shrimp

1 green bubble tip anemone

1 orange linckia starfish

Water Chemistry Situation/Question/Concerns:

I did a 10% water change after adding the orange linckia starfish (which was the last animal I added today).

All the animals seem to be very active. I fed them brine shrimp. Clowns ate it up. Skunk ate it up. Even the anemone ate his piece of brine quickly. The starfish is moving around alot, and the bubble tip is full bloom.

Questions:

Since I added 3 animals in the span of 1 day, should I be doing small water changes everyday for about a week until I see stable chemistry? I've been doing 15-20 percent water changes every week. I want my salinity to be around 1.025 and my ammon and nitrates to be low as possible.

How much and how often should I be feeding the ocelaris?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advanced.

iammrhappy123

Honestly...too much too fast for a tank your size.

ugh. what do I do? I can't return the animals. I don't live near an ocean to bring them to the ocean.

What do you suggest?

ugh. what do I do? I can't return the animals. I don't live near an ocean to bring them to the ocean.

What do you suggest?

Well at this point as Evanski is Def.correct I would continue changing the water as you stated as often as possible. A tank that small and young is going to be a challenge to keep low nutrient levels.

Also,never release pets in to the wild.

Unfortunately, I think the problem is going to correct itself. I cannot imagine both clowns will be able to live in that tank. I hope you have a BANGING biofiltration going.

Unfortunately, I think the problem is going to correct itself. I cannot imagine both clowns will be able to live in that tank. I hope you have a BANGING biofiltration going.

I agree with above statement. That's so much in there.

iammrhappy123

I have about 20-30 pounds of live rock and 5 pounds of live sand. Running HOB filter.

I have about 20-30 pounds of live rock and 5 pounds of live sand. Running HOB filter.

That's what we're saying 20-30 pounds of rock displaces alot of water so everything is more concentrated. Honestly I probably have 30 or so in my 40 gallon breeder. What are you running in the filter?

SchnauzerFace

In th span of a few hours, we have threads of people adding a sea apple and a linckia to their tanks. Yikes.

Not to sound dramatic, but you've got to rehome the clownfish quickly if you want them to have a shot. linckia don't tend to do well in any tanks, regardless of size or system maturity, so he probably will have a rough time no matter what.

Again, I don't want to sound dramatic, but I strongly suggest researching all future purchases thoroughly before becoming responsible for the well being of a living creature. A 6-gallon can hold a small goby and really not a lot more than that, at least imo.

6 gallons is too small for a clown fish let alone a pair. And NEVER say you're going to release a pet into the wild again and don't ever do that. Florida has a serious lionfish problem now thanks to people deciding they don't want their lionfish.

Honestly, I would get a 10 or 20 gallon tank, and use something like Seachem's Stability and hope they don't die during the cycle (make sure you do water changes). Or keep them in the 6 gallon while the 10 or 20 is cycling and do crazy water changes (and add something like stability or microbacter to hopefully boost your biofilter). You're really just in a tough situation.

And as far as rock volume, it must be pretty dense to cram that much in a 6 gallon tank. I had 3 pounds in my 5 gallon tank and I have 50 lbs in my 85. How much open space is there and how much actual water is in the display?

iammrhappy123

Wait, you have 20-30 lbs of rock in a 6 gallon tank? Is there room for water?

Yea lol. I just got really dense rock. 2-3 really big dense rock.

Is this enough?

Wait, you have 20-30 lbs of rock in a 6 gallon tank? Is there room for water?

Thats what I was thinking

iammrhappy123

Here is a photo of my bta. Looks healthy?

The fish are running around healthy as well. One is trying to show dominance on the other right now.

post-87943-0-69370500-1432088716_thumb.jpg

Yea lol. I just got really dense rock. 2-3 really big dense rock.

Is this enough?

The issue is: is there water in the tank and how much water is actually in the tank? Rock that dense is also not going to house a lot of bacteria. Pourous rock is best. Poundage isn't really as important as to how pourous the rock is.

iammrhappy123

The issue is: is there water in the tank and how much water is actually in the tank? Rock that dense is also not going to house a lot of bacteria. Pourous rock is best. Poundage isn't really as important as to how pourous the rock is.

True, It's quite pourous. Alot of holes in the rock. At least half of the rock.

Ugh, Now I'm considering buying a 12 gallon long due to all these concerns.

If I do that can I just transfer the old water to the new tank, and add 6 gallons of new water? then put my animals in?

get different rock a bigger tank. The 6 edge also sucks for reef because there is a loss in gas exchange with the way its designed. with your rock you maybe have 4 gallons of water. I would just get a 20 gallon for all your live stock to be healthy or take back the clowns or just one of them.

you should get a piece of live rock from an established tank to add bacteria. Also the BTA shouldn't be added until at least 3-4 months of an established system. Reef keeping is fun but you have to be patient or your animals will suffer and your wallet will suffer.

smeagol108

Yea u prob shouldn't have put two clowns in six gallon. I have a six as well with some gobies and a pink streaked wrasse. If ur clowns are small they will be fine for a while and plenty of people do keep clowns in tanks that small (I do not agree with this), but they should be fine for a good while until you figure out future plans to either rehome or upgrade. Over the next week feed super light, every other day if that, and change a gallon a day of same temp and salinity. As others said u should prob def take the star out and donate to fellow reefer or back to lfs.

True, It's quite pourous. Alot of holes in the rock. At least half of the rock.

Ugh, Now I'm considering buying a 12 gallon long due to all these concerns.

If I do that can I just transfer the old water to the new tank, and add 6 gallons of new water? then put my animals in?

I would get a 20 long. But yes, theoretically you can move everything over and it should be fine. Just make sure you match the extra water.

HarryPotter

Lol I thought this was a joke at first- that many critters in a 6 gallon?

BTW unless the rocks are made of solid lead, there is no way you have 30lbs in a 6g tank. Maybe the math is off?

iammrhappy123

BTW unless the rocks are made of solid lead, there is no way you have 30lbs in a 6g tank. Maybe the math is off?

Yes my math is wrong. I have 15-20 max. probably 15.

You think I'm good for a few months on 10% water changes every other day and light feeding every other 2 days?

Here is my tank

I'm so sad now. I was so excited, now im sad knowing that I have to move everything within a month or 2

post-87943-0-39338600-1432089901_thumb.jpg

Why would you think you're okay with 10% water changes for a few months? Everyone has been saying you need a bigger tank if you plan on keeping them alive and long term. I hope that was sarcasm.

Clownfish need to eat every day. They eat quite a bit. So, no you can't just feed them less and call it good due to your not proving them a large enough tank to live in.

what light are using? that doesn't look like enough for the anemone or coral. If the anemone dies it will pollute your tank pretty quick killing everything

iammrhappy123

Why would you think you're okay with 10% water changes for a few months? Everyone has been saying you need a bigger tank if you plan on keeping them alive and long term. I hope that was sarcasm.

Im asking if I can do water changes daily to keep them alive and ammon zero until I find a better living situation for them. A living situation that needs to be cycles etc.

what light are using? that doesn't look like enough for the anemone or coral. If the anemone dies it will pollute your tank pretty quick killing everything

3 watt per led- Led modules with 3 led's on each module

I have about 8 Modules - 24 Led's total.

Archived