Pod Your Reef

BTA v. 20 Long

righttirefire

righttirefire

Good evening, not for all of us. So my beautiful new BTA took a walk today while I was at work... right into my MP10

the first 48 hours

20150517_144053_zpsthxaurdi.jpg

Didn't move an inch. I loved it, but that dream was short lived. Yesterday it squeezed through the little hole in the rock and was barely visible. Just a phase I thought, I hope the torch doesn't hurt it. But today while at work it decided to walk into my MP10, half a tank away mind you...

20150519_172552_zpsyqxta0m8.jpg

top view

20150519_172602_zpsgtiftjgb.jpg

side view

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
righttirefire

Rescue mission. Turned pump off. Removed sponge cover.

Initial inspection,

20150519_172846_zpszpmlw98t.jpg

slowing picking at it,

20150519_172852_zpsilo5u9mb.jpg

it had gotten in deep

Heartbreaking

20150519_172858_zpsmjd6jlky.jpg

it began to release after a few minutes

20150519_175230_zpsxvcfarw3.jpg

After a minute of trying to get it to settle in.

Changed MP10 from reef crest to lagoon and brought it down to about 33%

Hurry up and wait. And continue research. I'm thinking a short iodine dip and a net breeder basket with some rubble rock as an observation container for the next days. To keep the leaping into the MP10 again a minimal possibility

HarryPotter

Rescue mission. Turned pump off. Removed sponge cover.

Initial inspection,

20150519_172846_zpszpmlw98t.jpg

slowing picking at it,

20150519_172852_zpsilo5u9mb.jpg

it had gotten in deep

Heartbreaking

20150519_172858_zpsmjd6jlky.jpg

it began to release after a few minutes

20150519_175230_zpsxvcfarw3.jpg

After a minute of trying to get it to settle in.

Changed MP10 from reef crest to lagoon and brought it down to about 33%

Hurry up and wait. And continue research. I'm thinking a short iodine dip and a net breeder basket with some rubble rock as an observation container for the next days. To keep the leaping into the MP10 again a minimal possibility

Oh man that happened to me but WITHOUT the foam cover. Nuked the tank!

Glad that the tank was not poisoned, but I hope it gets better!

righttirefire

I can't imagine the mess that would make... sushi BTA... I put that foam on but never expected to be digging an anemone out of it.

1 Hour Update:

20150519_182905_zpslzjupbyg.jpg

mouth gapping, some testicle bubble.

righttirefire

Using my big brain I'm curious if my torch stung the BTA causing it to lift it's foot and getting sick ed into the power head. Now it's right next to my hammer... possibly same issue?

20150519_183220_zpsz00kt8em.jpg

Thinking about moving the GSP, and putting in that corner. Nice little indent and hole for it to anchor in and away from sweeper tenticles...

20150519_183224_zpse4p5jx64.jpg

Maybe still net breeder basket would be my best bet

Yea I would put it in a separate in tank container if possible to kinda keep it away. A breeder net like you said would Def work well.

righttirefire

That's the safest thing I think about... keep it in "stable" water but maybe not the best light and flow level

I've read a couple of times now that putting the MP10 in wave mode can prevent the anemone from getting sucked in. Might be something to think about if you try again or this one heals up.

righttirefire

I never had time to play with wave mode... the pulse length is so short and the intensity is so high it drove me nuts... if the "QD" is 90% more quiet the early models have been rock crushers

I never had time to play with wave mode... the pulse length is so short and the intensity is so high it drove me nuts... if the "QD" is 90% more quiet the early models have been rock crushers

Don't tune it, just go to the blue mode, set it to your desired speed and slowest pulse, and save the settings. The MP10 is loud and annoying, I have one on a 29 right next to my 150 gallon tank with a non QD MP40 and the MP10 is all you can hear.

righttirefire

20150519_193839_zps34ojiigb.jpg

Almost 3 hours after the peel job and it's inflating trying to get away from this rock... it was attached down to that rock pretty well. So both got set into a net breeder basket... "time-out" pen... only time will tell

Thank you mark

HarryPotter

20150519_193839_zps34ojiigb.jpg

Almost 3 hours after the peel job and it's inflating trying to get away from this rock... it was attached down to that rock pretty well. So both got set into a net breeder basket... "time-out" pen... only time will tell

Thank you mark

Personally I think it's going to recover :-)

I forget who, but here on NR someone's rare BTA was sucked into a Vortech and ripped into three parts, two of which survived and prospered.

IMO Your nem looks remarkably good given its predicament

righttirefire

I got out of bed because of your suggestion mark. Thank. Set at the 5th light about 42% and slowest pulse.

The little devil looks pretty good...

20150519_201715_zps3fp94ofi.jpg

top view

20150519_201703_zpsayfboony.jpg

little curled up but hopeful

righttirefire

It was still attaching to that rock... killed my aquascape it's one of my bottom rocks.

:scarry: :scarry: omgomgomg omgomgomg :o:(

Holy crap bummer! I'm amazed it's looking as good as it does now... Good thing you had the foam cover, though that thing was stuck pretty good it looks like.

As mentioned it's a good sign that it's attaching at least. You'll probably have to nurse it back to health though. Feeding it should help, but start with really small foods. It goes without saying but keep the water quality high as well. I've used those nets before and I liked to scoop a cup of tank water and dump it (carefully) into the net several times per day just to keep things fresh. Some flow gets through the net, but not a whole lot.

righttirefire

Thanks for the tip aj. Hopefully momma will help that. She keeps her fingers out of the tank and observes for me, but she's usually a good sport about help when asked to preform a specific task. I read not to feed it for a couple days. I last feed it sunday. And planned on feeding again thursday. There seems to be mixed opinions about feeding, quantity and frequency.

Thanks for the tip aj. Hopefully momma will help that. She keeps her fingers out of the tank and observes for me, but she's usually a good sport about help when asked to preform a specific task. I read not to feed it for a couple days. I last feed it sunday. And planned on feeding again thursday. There seems to be mixed opinions about feeding, quantity and frequency.

I think feeding sort of depends on the response of the anemone. I think in a regular tank feeding too soon could potentially cause other organisms to take advantage of the weakened anemone and start messing with it - but since you have it sequestered away I suppose my initial thought would be to feed it as long as it had a feeding response (otherwise there's no point). I do know it's best to start small though, don't feed something too large for it to digest in it's weakened state.

Either way it sounds like you've done your research so most important is to come up with the best plan you can and just follow through with it.

Good luck!

CatfishSoupFTW

man was it a nice piece ! its gonna take a while, but it looks like its still alive ! I had a close call - my corals were in a bucket for a few days, and it took a toll. rbta coming back ! not with the same color though but its improved greatly.

righttirefire

I peaked in the tank while running out the door this morning. The BTA has walked around the rock to the "back" corner. I think that'll be a good place. Low flow and low light. It'll find its happier place. fro. What I could see it looked good.

righttirefire

I can't Harry. I don't know.

20150520_043208_zpsy5c0ulgi.jpg this was at 430 am. As I was walking out the door to work... it's currently 430 pm and my girl hasn't gotten home to update me yet. And I won't be home for another 5 hours... So I hope all is well

righttirefire

Finally home, showered, unwinding, and heading to bed... BUT update photos. This is about 30 hours after I discovered and peeled this little devil out of my foam MP10 power head guard.

He's been in a breeder net, following marks suggestion the MP10 is programed into short pulse mode. At about 42%, 5th light, and the slowest pulse. And AJ suggested manually exchanging the water out of the breeder net, which I've done twice and I assume my girl has done about 3 times today.

FRONT VIEW

20150520_220217_zpsdfrw52av.jpg

you can see the foot on the bottom left

LEFT SIDE VIEW

20150520_220226_zpsfuuduscs.jpg

showing promise.

BOTTOM VIEW

20150520_220259_zpshrg4qvsq.jpg

righttirefire

So. Come friday.

1 I'm thinking about turning off the MP10.

2 Removing rock and BTA from basket.

3 Removing basket from tank.

4 Removing metal straps that hang basket

5 Drill 4 holes, 1 by each corner

6 Install 4 suction cups

7 Install modified breeder basket over MP10

8 Turn on MP10.

DON'T SLEEP UNTIL MONDAY.

Just watch

Archived