Pod Your Reef

Some Xenia for my nano

JabaReef

Picked up a little piece of Xenia from my buddy today can't complain about a free piece of coral. I've heard some horror stories about this stuff taking over but my buddy says it's easy to pluck away as needed, so we will see how this goes

post-88130-0-74442000-1432072491_thumb.jpg

Did you get pulsing xenia? The pulsing variety is pretty cool to watch. I have spoken with Than at Tidal Gardens at great length about pulsing xenia. He said that he sells a ton of it.

Did you get pulsing xenia? The pulsing variety is pretty cool to watch. I have spoken with Than at Tidal Gardens at great length about pulsing xenia. He said that he sells a ton of it.

Yeah it's the pulsing variety and I agree it's awesome to watch! It was in the tank about 5 minutes and had already adapted and started pulsing was cool to see how hardy they are.
clownfitch

Opinions about xenia definitely differ. I think it adds great texture and diversity. It is in both of my tanks and has actually migrated and colonized at the top of my over flow in one tank and all along the back of another right at the water line. it hasnt moved to my rock work at all in either tank in the years they have been set up. However, we did add a branch to my son's SpecV on his live rock. 3 months later the tank was so full of xenia the other corals were smothered and you could not see the rock at all. We ended up taking all of his xenia covered live rock to the LFS and traded for clean live rock , a few nice frags and a pistol shrimp/ goby pair. So yes it can definitely take over a small tank relatively quickly but can also be controlled if it is kept off of the rock work.

Archived