SaltCritters.com

Canister Filter vs. Media Reactor

lonemountain

lonemountain

I have a mature (2½ years old), modified BioCube 29 – LED lights, upgraded pump, Hydor skimmer, and In-Tank media tower. The media tower has, from top to bottom, sponge pad (cleaned once or twice a week, replaced weekly), media bag with 35 grams of RowaPhos or PhosLock, Purigen pillow, and finally Azoo ceramic cylinders and small coral pieces. We do a weekly water change of 18-20%. My nitrates typically run 10-12 ppm (Red Sea test) and my phosphates are typically in the range of .08-.12 ppm (Hanna photometer test). I’d like to pull both those numbers down, if possible. I don’t think the media tower is as effective as it could be due to the fact that the water trickles down through it. I’m sure the Purigen and GFO are not nearly as effective as they could be. I have been contemplating installing a small media reactor, e.g. Innovative Marine Desktop, and using it with bio-pellets. What do you think of that, and what bio-pellets (if any) do you recommend?

As an alternative I’ve considered a small canister filter, e.g. Hydor Professional 150, with Purigen and GFO, and probably some Azoo ceramic cylinders, in it. The plumbing might be a bit more difficult compared to the drop-in Desktop reactor. I know there are pros and cons with the canisters, and they have to be maintained or they’ll turn into a nitrate factory. I can't help but feel that the canister would be more effective than the media tower, since the water is essentially forced through the media. We're pretty religious about regular weekly maintenance.
The tank population is: pair of smallish Snowflake clowns, azure damsel, yellow clown goby, green clown goby, hi-fin banded shrimp goby, neon goby, flame angel, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp. The coral seem to be doing well, including a montipora that has gone from the size of a quarter to the size of a saucer with multiple shelves. The zoas and mushrooms do well.
The benefit of your expertise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Canister filters are a pain. I had one on a reef for a while and it became such a chore. I hate them so much my next freshwater tank will have a sump...

If you are are looking to control nitrate and phosphate I think the best (and easiest) option would be liquid carbon dosing. I bet if you used something like nopox or the traditional vodka/vinegar you would see pretty good results in reducing both phosphate and nitrate. From what I've read about biopellets is they aren't very effective at reducing phosphate and can cause cyano outbreaks.

If your phosphates still arent low after Nitrate bottoms out you could think about adding gfo then.

Not sure you really need the ceramic cylinders. If you got enough live rock in the display these do not gain you very much, and may be a source of nitrates. I run a similar setup with a light bioload with only Purigen, Chemipure Eleite and GAC, that I change out monthly anlong with weekly 10 - 15% water change. Tank has been very stable and Phosphates are <0.03 ppm and nitrates and < 0.2 ppm, lower limits of test kits. As I said I only have two fish, soft corals and snails. I like the lighter bioload as it is far more forgiving.

Happy Reefing!

Archived