ReefCleaners.org

Need help with build!

Galli

So, I currently have a 20L, but I remembered a dresser I used to own that is currently in storage now. It's big enough to support a 75 gallon.

So, my plan now is to hollow it out to some degree, put the 20L in the bottom as a sump, with a 10 gallon above that to act as a refugium, and on top of the dresser a 40B.

So, will that work? A 40B on top with a gravity fed display refugium that gravity feed a 20L sump that pushed the water back up to the 40B?

HarryPotter

Just think of the plumbing carefully. Im assuming the display tank will be drilled, so you will need to split the flow and put a valve on the water going to the refugium. Then, the refugium has to be drilled so it can empty into the sump... Lotta work!

Perhaps skip the 10g refugium and just incorporate it into the sump?

Just my $.02, the plumbing sounds a bit overwhelming.

DurocShark

Before you even go that far, I'd start looking REAL close at that dresser. You're talking about 100 gallons of tank, with equipment and everything will weigh over 800lbs. You don't list your location, but if you live in earthquake, hurricane, or tornado country, I'd want a stand robust enough to handle getting knocked around a bit.

I had a dresser that supported a 40 gallon tank (with my lion fish and snowflake eels) for years no problem. But I've had other dressers I wouldn't put a pico tank on. You have some advantage in that you will have the bulk of the weight will be low.

Can you get it to flex? Even a tiny bit of flex would eliminate it as a tank stand. Can you and 3 of your best friends stand on it without it swaying or sagging? Would you be comfortable sleeping at the foot of the dresser with a full tank on it? If you can answer those questions to your satisfaction, then I'm jealous of your idea of a 10g refugium. ;)

Well, I'm located in Mississippi. Really nothing goes on here, haha. The plumbing to me just sounds easy, for some reason. Theoritically a pipe could run to the refugium from the DT, then from that another pipe from the refugium to the sump, then the return pipe from the sump to the tank itself.

I plan on using my 20L for a sump and I pretty much want a refugium so I can have 24hour viewing access to my precious critters, haha. DT tank light goes out, refugium comes on, refugium goes out, DT comes on.

If the dresser can't support it or won't be able to do what I want it to do, I can just build a stand. I've lurked around here long enough that I can get that done.

I'd use the 20L as a common sump for the display and the refugium; both would have separate overflows and return lines (using one return pump, with a tee and valves to control the flow). You'd just have to be careful so that the backflow of the two tanks doesn't overfill the the sump during a power outage.

Thats another thing I was considering. Basically hooking two tanks up to the single sump.

On an unrelated note;

my scooter blenny just took a piece of frozen mysis!

Pretty much nothing goes on here. But there is almost always a good selection of saltwater in my area, so that's a big plus. Major stock options and no hazards.

Okay, so after careful consideration I think I'll be going with a 40B on top of two 20L's. I want massive system stability and this will provide it. Also I wish to give my scooter blenny a huge refugium to roam around in.

Anyone know of any good dosers that are mildly affordable that can handle multiple solutions? Will also need a quality skimmer and a powerhead to push the water back up. Gah, more research.

Archived