ReefCleaners.org

Powerhead Placement- where & how to tell what is optimal.

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Backstory:

• I have a Vortech MP40w QD and a Vortech MP10w, and am setting up the flow in my JBJ RL-45 (29x21x19 high).
  • There are also two Cobalt 1200's for filtration, and a no name ~300 gph pump for the Carbon Reactor

Question:

How the heck does one decide where to locate the powerhead? Should I use both? What is the optimal flow pattern I should look for?

I had an idea to put in some Kent B and see the flow pattern, but don't know what it SHOULD be! My aquascape is not really set up yet, but how should I shape it for optimal flow to support a variety of corals?

Here was my 10 second (Pretty bad, I suck at this) aquascape from some LR. 30lbs of ReefCleaners is arriving today or tomorrow.

I hate aquascaping.

I hope someone can help me with this- I will take pictures of the 30lbs ReefCleaners rock when I get it and hope someone can arrange them for me por el red! (via. the internet, to you gringos omgomgomg)

IMG_0511_zpstlvbyunr.jpg

Its all about personal preference and how the corals respond I like to have a powerhead on the side of the tank close to the front of the glass about 3/4th to the top. And another one on the opposite side in the back keeping detritus from building up from the rock work. and use my returns pumps for surface agitation.

HarryPotter

Its all about personal preference and how the corals respond I like to have a powerhead on the side of the tank close to the front of the glass about 3/4th to the top. And another one on the opposite side in the back keeping detritus from building up from the rock work. and use my returns pumps for surface agitation.

Opposite side in the back lower?

I know some people have like complex flow diagrams and plan for them- but I'm like what

I have one in my biocube at the top left back pointing a bit down so it creates flow at the back of the rocks cape and over the top of the rocks. I then have a hydro flo on my return pump which creates some good random flow. I just added a small hydor 240 at the back top right pointing forward to get some flow on the right side of the tank where I noticed some cyano forming. I agree with addinali - it's going to come down to what your corals like and what your personal preference is. I don't like the look of powerbeads so I try to keep them as inconspicuous as possible and placed corals based on what the flow was in certain areas.

HarryPotter

I have one in my biocube at the top left back pointing a bit down so it creates flow at the back of the rocks cape and over the top of the rocks. I then have a hydro flo on my return pump which creates some good random flow. I just added a small hydor 240 at the back top right pointing forward to get some flow on the right side of the tank where I noticed some cyano forming. I agree with addinali - it's going to come down to what your corals like and what your personal preference is. I don't like the look of powerbeads so I try to keep them as inconspicuous as possible and placed corals based on what the flow was in certain areas.

Do you have a picture of the tank? That would help picture it a lot more :)

I do! Actually, if you go to my tank thread (click the link in my signature), the full tank shot is the first photo on the first page. I'll try to dig up a few others and send over as well.

Opposite side in the back lower?

I know some people have like complex flow diagrams and plan for them- but I'm like what

I have a Mp-10 on my left side about 3/4th to the top

a Wp-10 on the right side towards the back and around middle placement

And 2 return lines creation surface agitation.

My Mp-10 is on a custom gyre mode around 50% power

my wp-10 in on else mode

overall this creates a great flow all over my tank and keeps the detritus from building up on the rock work.

HarryPotter

I do! Actually, if you go to my tank thread (click the link in my signature), the full tank shot is the first photo on the first page. I'll try to dig up a few others and send over as well.

Thanks! Nice tank BTW- really well thought out w. the coral placement.

So far on the 45 gallon (Thing of it as two Biocubes attached to eachother :lol:) I have the stock Acellas for filtration, a cobalt 1200 to run the reactor, and a MP40w QD to provide flow.

I also have a MP10w on the NanoCube, so can move that over during the upgrade.

I have a Mp-10 on my left side about 3/4th to the top

a Wp-10 on the right side towards the back and around middle placement

And 2 return lines creation surface agitation.

My Mp-10 is on a custom gyre mode around 50% power

my wp-10 in on else mode

overall this creates a great flow all over my tank and keeps the detritus from building up on the rock work.

Sounds cool, like a big circle pattern from what I can tell.

Archived