Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ric/Mushroom Tear

ReefSafeSolutions

ReefSafeSolutions

Hey everyone,

I was moving around a few corals today to try and find places in the tank they'd like more, and unfortunately, the little ric/mushroom/whatever this thing is tore. It was glued to a super thin piece of rock, which was glued to a frag plug. and the thin piece of rock broke and took a piece of the coral with it. Here's a pic:

FEF6398A-18AB-4C60-B2D6-2FB5C0CB881A_zps

I glued the piece that tore off onto the plug in hopes that it would grow, sort of like a crude fragging procedure.

My question is, will the original coral survive with this chunk missing? And will the chunk that broke off start to grow, by any chance?

I hope this coral isn't ruined, I think it's a pretty interesting one. I don't even know what it technically is, but I dig it.

Thanks for any information you can share.

12_egg_Omelette

Congrats you'll have two.

I occasionally slice mine into 4th and let them heal three days later they are great and I pass them along to the local guys here in town.

ReefSafeSolutions

Awesome, I've heard they need to be split at the mouth, but I guess not. Very cool, thanks!

Jellyingabout

Try to get them under a tub on the sand bed full gravel. They won't stay glued to the rock. they prefer to fix themselves to the rock naturally and will detach themselves from the glue with mucous, then they'll get blown about the tank and you'll never get them back.

ReefSafeSolutions

I should have mentioned...the piece that tore off came with the chipped piece of rock, so it was attached to the rock still. I just glued the rock back to the frag plug, and it hasn't gone anywhere :D

It's actually starting to grow into a little circular shape now, pretty cool to observe each day!

And while we're here...is this thing a mushroom or a ric?

Ric's are a type of mushroom I believe so your right ether way lol.

Yes it is best when fragging mushrooms to divide the mouth evenly between your frags, however like some anemones (particularly pest anemones), when mushrooms move they can leave bits of their foot behind which then grow into new mushrooms.

My ric decided it wanted to change rocks the other day and I now have a little baby one conveniently on the small rock the original came on so that is in my coral bay to grow out a bit quicker as it was being shaded by its 6+ inch parent (it hadn't moved far).

Archived