Cultivated Reef

~$1600 budget CADLights

Ryan_E

oh as CAD currency, Canadian currency. lol sorry I should have specified better. But our dollar is to poop right now, 1.20 per dollar. So 200 bucks is 240. and nanobox's being more expensive, you could imagine the fluctuation, plus taxes, and shipping etc. 0__0 a duo would run me about 600-700 I believe.

As for the kessil, if you have never seen one in action, I would suggest to. the dense matrix pretty much makes the disco partying obsolete. Radions are minimal on this, but the 30 pro does way better than the 15pro. But its still there. Nano box, no idea, razor(er?) does it as well I believe. Plus dat shimmmer shimmmaa on the kessil adds lots of movement to the tank. I think two a160we would be pretty neat. Having just ONE light would be nice, i.e. the a360we, but you would have to have it on the perfect spot due to the nature of the dense matrix.

Dont forget controllers though, not all lights offer this out of the box. While its not insanely important, youll want one eventually. lol

Haha ohhhh all of this talk about cadlights and shortening it to cad and then canadian currency. Got it. Yeah to be honest, lighting is where I lack in knowledge, but I know that theyre what makes everything look so great. I know there are a lot of nano box fan boys on here, and the fixture itself looks great. Has bluefish too. I see a lot of talk about the shimmer that a Kessil gives. It's about even price wise when you throw in controllers and what not. I'll have to look into them all more.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What quality brands would you recommend? Anywhere between 40-50 gallons with a stand and sump.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try and get ahold of them. I definitely want to buy quality that has more than I need at the beginning. That way I don't have to keep upgrading/replacing like you mentioned.

Deep blue seems to be good other then the 60g, other then that I like custom stuff.... Pico, Miracles, reef savvy if your not in a rush to get a quote back lol

I'm sure there are other decent companies that don't make so many mistakes and use moronic plumbing like CAD, I just don't know of them. Heck if you have a LFS they may have a decent builder locally that can set you up with exactly what you want as well..... but definitely spring for starphire its worth the extra ;)

Steensj2004

I disagree, starfire glass is like HD and Blueray. It's nice, and it seems fancy, but when it really comes down to it, when you look into the tank you won't be thinking about how it's slightly more clear, you're looking at the corals and fish. Save you money on that gimmick.

Steensj2004

wouldnt a kessil a360we do you just on that tank? its close to your budget but a bit over. Or maybe two a160we for better control on spread?

PAR38 can run somewhat cheap, if you get the right colored bulbs and combos they can do you just, plus a goose neck and dimmer and timer But somehow I feel like that would turn into an upgrade.

Nanobox is hella expensive, especially if I were to order it and convert it to cad. lol But Kessil and par38 would be my guess for good lights on a reasonable budget.

Hella expensive compared to what? a Reefbreeders fixture maybe...

Starfire doesn't make or break a good deal for me. Also, the nanobox duo comes out at almost the same price as a lot of the other lights once you add in a controller, or a second light. So i agree with you that it doesn't end up being that expensive compared to others.

I disagree, starfire glass is like HD and Blueray. It's nice, and it seems fancy, but when it really comes down to it, when you look into the tank you won't be thinking about how it's slightly more clear, you're looking at the corals and fish. Save you money on that gimmick.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever owned a starfire tank? I notice it every time I look at my tank.(assuming the glass is clean) Now that I own a starfire tank, I could not go back as it just makes everything that much more impressive.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever owned a starfire tank? I notice it every time I look at my tank.(assuming the glass is clean) Now that I own a starfire tank, I could not go back as it just makes everything that much more impressive.

Nope! BUT, every tank I have considered has starfire glass so I'm not worried :) I have seen them in person and they look pretty dang clear to me!

Steensj2004

Clarity difference doesn't become extremely noticeable until 3/8-1/2", actually. And I've look through more than my share of starfire glass side by side with normal glass. That's why I wouldn't use that as a make or break factor when I buy tanks.

Clarity difference doesn't become extremely noticeable until 3/8-1/2", actually. And I've look through more than my share of starfire glass side by side with normal glass.

There are quite a number of people on this forum that would disagree with you. You keep looking at your fish and coral(and TV) in good ol' fashion standard def and I will keep on looking at mine in HD!

Steensj2004

There are quite a number of people on this forum that would disagree with you. You keep looking at your fish and coral(and TV) in good ol' fashion standard def and I will keep on looking at mine in HD!

So because they agree with you, that makes it so? Sound logic...

So because they agree with you, that makes it so? Sound logic...

Look, I am not looking to start some kind of internet debate here with you, just a difference in opinion. It just so happens I have a lot of people that would agree with me, otherwise they would not have shelled out the extra cash for their starfire tanks that are not over 1/2" thick. And I didn't say you are wrong and should immediately go out and buy a starfire tank. All I said was to each's own, keep on looking at your non-starfire tank because that is what makes you happy, and I(and many others) will keep on looking at my starfire tank because that is what makes me happy. It's up to the OP as to who's advice they weight heavier on their mind.

Steensj2004

Ok, fair enough.

To the op, unless you just have to have it, save the money for other parts of your tank. It's like buying a flatscreen TV. When you are looking at the 720 and 1080 TV in the store,the salesman will borrow the comparison on how much better the 1080 looks. Once you get it home, you cease to actually notice that big of a difference, because you have no comparison. Since you are on a budget, you should be considering price and what is needed and what isn't IMHO. Starfire is a gimmick, and the idea that without another, non-starfire tank sitting next to starfire you will,"Notice the difference every day" is a big stretch IMHO. The price difference may mean a better light, skimmer, or pump.... Which actually will help with water quality instead of making you feel fancy. Although all your tank ideas have been starfire, so if it's what you like, bonus! Good luck!

Ok, fair enough.

To the op, unless you just have to have it, save the money for other parts of your tank. It's like buying a flatscreen TV. When you are looking at the 720 and 1080 TV in the store,the salesman will borrow the comparison on how much better the 1080 looks. Once you get it home, you cease to actually notice that big of a difference, because you have no comparison. Since you are on a budget, you should be considering price and what is needed and what isn't IMHO. Starfire is a gimmick, and the idea that without another, non-starfire tank sitting next to starfire you will,"Notice the difference every day" is a big stretch IMHO. The price difference may mean a better light, skimmer, or pump.... Which actually will help with water quality instead of making you feel fancy. Although all your tank ideas have been starfire, so if it's what you like, bonus! Good luck!

Thanks for all of the advice and insight Steens! It has all definitely been helpful.

CatfishSoupFTW

wasnt comparing it directly to another fixture, but at least here in canada, I find that the light is very expensive. I mean, everything is here. a kessil a160we is 300 over here. lol if I were to get a nanobox, it would be a duo, which is about 6-700. A radion xr15pro is about 550 or so. Those Chinese lights are about 200? 300? a 360we is about 450 before tax.

As for starfire, im a fan of them. more specifically starfire rimless. I have met some people here that dont enjoy rimless tanks, or others that dont bother spending the extra cash for starfire. Which is understandable. The cheapest I have seen starfire is from Fire AQ, a chinese supplier, but that aside, you wont be getting a tank for a dollar per gallon unless its a used starfire and the seller doesnt care.

Isn't america beautiful you can disagree and no one has to care that you are happy with SD when you coulda had HD :D Its not really a gimmick tho when the difference is CLEAR!

Once you get it home, you cease to actually notice that big of a difference, because you have no comparison.

By that logic why go with a 40-50g when you won't be able to compare it to a 5g side by side in your home lol Guess I shoulda stuck to my 40B off the petco shelf for $40 instead of splurging for my $1800 150, I mean they are basically the same thing right :lol: FWIW my wife who doesn't care about the tanks noticed the huge difference between cheap glass and the 150 from Miracles w/ starphire and she couldn't care less LOL Her actual words "Damn that is a lot clearer then the 40g!" ;)

Isn't america beautiful you can disagree and no one has to care that you are happy with SD when you coulda had HD :D Its not really a gimmick tho when the difference is CLEAR!

By that logic why go with a 40-50g when you won't be able to compare it to a 5g side by side in your home lol Guess I shoulda stuck to my 40B off the petco shelf for $40 instead of splurging for my $1800 150, I mean they are basically the same thing right :lol: FWIW my wife who doesn't care about the tanks noticed the huge difference between cheap glass and the 150 from Miracles w/ starphire and she couldn't care less LOL Her actual words "Damn that is a lot clearer then the 40g!" ;)

Actually, I didn't even think of it before, but my wife made a very similar comment(and she could also care less) when my CAD 34G Mini was delivered.(which is 8mm glass btw) There really is a difference, even in 8mm glass. Just like there really is a big difference between 720p and 1080p. Even my 5yo son knows to change to 1080p in youtube when its available...

CBernhardt23

So, as the title says. I am considering buying a cadlights versa 42 as my first tank. I posted awhile back about maybe getting a biocube, but after further research, I decided that I want a sump and a little bit bigger tank to house more livestock. Since this is my first tank, I could use A LOT of advice/insight from everyone with my current equipment list/cost estimate (especially with lighting). I want equipment that I can grow into with regards to corals without having to upgrade too much once I start to get the hang of things. Anyway, here is my list. Let me know if there are better options within my budget!

Cadlights Versa 42 gallon: $699

LED light: ???? (about $250-$300)

Eheim Jager Tru Temp 150w: $30

Hydor Korolia Evolution powerhead: $40

Protein Simmer: ???? (about $150)

Red Sea Test kits: $50

Refractometer: $50

Live Rock 40 lbs: $200

Sand 45 lbs?: $45

Fuge Light: $20

Miscellaneous Equipment/QT: $100

ATO: ???

Total: $1684

My total is close to $100 dollars over my total $1600 dollar budget. Being a little over is not that big of a deal to me, but would love to hear some of your opinions. I have seen what can be done with these tanks and I have enjoyed learning about some of yours.

Are you set on a rimless tank? If not, Marineland makes a very similiar tank to that, 30 x 18 x 16" tall, I have one that I paid like 79.99 for. You could save alot of money right there.

Steensj2004

Actually, I didn't even think of it before, but my wife made a very similar comment(and she could also care less) when my CAD 34G Mini was delivered.(which is 8mm glass btw) There really is a difference, even in 8mm glass. Just like there really is a big difference between 720p and 1080p. Even my 5yo son knows to change to 1080p in youtube when its available...

Yeah, a huge difference when they are sitting side by side, pretty sure we covered that. Of course your son changes the definition @ 5 years old, because dad taught him too, lmao. Please tell me you pay attention to definition when watching a show, instead of paying attention to the storyline,lol. :lol:

Good for you, I'm not sure the OP cares about how deep your pockets are. Physical size, and clarity aren't exactly the same thing, applying logical fallacy to justify spending extra money you don't NEED to doesn't make you right. It makes you look silly.

IF you would have been paying any attention to the OP's original post, they had a specific budget range. Saving the money on the starfire, means more equipment, better equipment. Unless your magic glass can skim organics, move water, tumble media, or control the tank electronics, it's just glass. How about giving them good advice on how to build the best system with the best equipment instead of bragging about how much money you spend? :rolleyes:

Yeah, a huge difference when they are sitting side by side, pretty sure we covered that. Of course your son changes the definition @ 5 years old, because dad taught him too, lmao. Please tell me you pay attention to definition when watching a show, instead of paying attention to the storyline,lol. :lol:

Good for you, I'm not sure the OP cares about how deep your pockets are. Physical size, and clarity aren't exactly the same thing, applying logical fallacy to justify spending extra money you don't NEED to doesn't make you right. It makes you look silly.

IF you would have been paying any attention to the OP's original post, they had a specific budget range. Saving the money on the starfire, means more equipment, better equipment. Unless your magic glass can skim organics, move water, tumble media, or control the tank electronics, it's just glass. How about giving them good advice on how to build the best system with the best equipment instead of bragging about how much money you spend? :rolleyes:

Once you are used to seeing the pure beauty of a crystal clear tank, its kinda hard to go back, regardless of whether you have something next to it to compare to. And the same goes for tv. When you are used to seeing the crispness that comes with 1080p on a quality display, you notice when it is not in full HD. Of course, when I am watching TV, I do not sit there paying attention to the pixels over the content, but if I walk into the room and my wife is watching a show on the standard def channel, I will notice almost immediately that the picture is not in full HD. And it will bother me enough to change it before I can truly appreciate the content. Again, though, this is a debate over perception. If you are used to watching standard def, you are not going to care as much. Same goes for if you are used to standard glass. As for my son, yes I may have taught him that, but he is also now used to a crystal clear image, and therefore changes it to full HD when its available. Why would you not?

As for your comment about spending extra money on something that is not needed making you look silly....by that train of thought we would all look silly for even spending money on this hobby. We do not NEED tanks in our house, but we choose to put our hard earned money towards them because it is something we all enjoy and feel is worth it in our eyes.

AGAIN, this all boils down to perception. I am not here trying to start a fight with you. I am not trying to steer the OP in one direction or the other. I am just trying to spell out correct information and let the OP(and others that may eventually read this) make a good, informed decision. If they just purely went by your suggestions, no one would enjoy the beauty of starfire glass, only because YOU think there is no difference. There is a big difference between YOU not thinking its worth the money and there being no difference between standard glass and starfire glass. There is nothing wrong with you giving your opinion, just don't go around spreading falsities, not expecting someone to call you out on it.

Uhh guys - it's spelled "Starphire", not "Starfire"...

Ryan, welcome to N-R. Sounds like you have the ability to put together a pretty sweet system. IME your tank should be your favorite part of this build... If you don't love the tank itself the lights or any other equipment aren't going to matter!

Why don't you do this... It's apparent that you've done some research but you still feel a bit overwhelmed when it comes to equipment - IME that's normal. Take a moment and think about the characteristics you want this tank to have. Everything from where in the room you want to put it, the style of livestock you want to keep, do you want a sleek high end look or do you want a more traditional natural look? Obviously you want a sump, but why? Will it just house the skimmer and some filter socks, or do you want a refugium, or just chaetomorpha? Asking these questions early on should help you determine what equipment you'll need as well as what you don't need - or at least provide a way to prioritize.

Uhh guys - it's spelled "Starphire", not "Starfire"...

Ryan, welcome to N-R. Sounds like you have the ability to put together a pretty sweet system. IME your tank should be your favorite part of this build... If you don't love the tank itself the lights or any other equipment aren't going to matter!

Why don't you do this... It's apparent that you've done some research but you still feel a bit overwhelmed when it comes to equipment - IME that's normal. Take a moment and think about the characteristics you want this tank to have. Everything from where in the room you want to put it, the style of livestock you want to keep, do you want a sleek high end look or do you want a more traditional natural look? Obviously you want a sump, but why? Will it just house the skimmer and some filter socks, or do you want a refugium, or just chaetomorpha? Asking these questions early on should help you determine what equipment you'll need as well as what you don't need - or at least provide a way to prioritize.

To be honest, since it is my first tank, I don't know exactly where I want to end up with the final product. I don't think you ever have a final product in a hobby like this. With that being said, I want my setup to be able to provide more than I need early on leaving me plenty of options to do anything I want in the future. That is why I want a sump. Maybe one day I will want more equipment down there, or a nice fuge. It also gives me more water volume which may be more forgiving/harder to mess up my parameters. At first I plan on keeping all of the stereotypical new guy small fish in there with a small frag here and there. Then go up from there!

Steensj2004

Once you are used to seeing the pure beauty of a crystal clear tank, its kinda hard to go back, regardless of whether you have something next to it to compare to. And the same goes for tv. When you are used to seeing the crispness that comes with 1080p on a quality display, you notice when it is not in full HD. Of course, when I am watching TV, I do not sit there paying attention to the pixels over the content, but if I walk into the room and my wife is watching a show on the standard def channel, I will notice almost immediately that the picture is not in full HD. And it will bother me enough to change it before I can truly appreciate the content. Again, though, this is a debate over perception. If you are used to watching standard def, you are not going to care as much. Same goes for if you are used to standard glass. As for my son, yes I may have taught him that, but he is also now used to a crystal clear image, and therefore changes it to full HD when its available. Why would you not?

As for your comment about spending extra money on something that is not needed making you look silly....by that train of thought we would all look silly for even spending money on this hobby. We do not NEED tanks in our house, but we choose to put our hard earned money towards them because it is something we all enjoy and feel is worth it in our eyes.

AGAIN, this all boils down to perception. I am not here trying to start a fight with you. I am not trying to steer the OP in one direction or the other. I am just trying to spell out correct information and let the OP(and others that may eventually read this) make a good, informed decision. If they just purely went by your suggestions, no one would enjoy the beauty of starfire glass, only because YOU think there is no difference. There is a big difference between YOU not thinking its worth the money and there being no difference between standard glass and starfire glass. There is nothing wrong with you giving your opinion, just don't go around spreading falsities, not expecting someone to call you out on it.

1. It isn't a fallacy just because you like the glass.

2. My company, British Aerospace Engineering( BAE) tested low iron glass on a Electronic Optical Sight for a 25mm cannon system, decided it wasn't worth the change for clarity. Now, while I am not the person who tested it, I run the MK25mm program on the east coast for the guns, so I was made well aware of them turning it down.

This isn't a fight, pushing the OP in a direction that has him spend extra budget money on a ,"System Novelty" and not an essential, preventing him from getting better equipment that will actually aid him down the road is crappy. The fact you like it, or I like it is irrelevant, its a gimmick. The tank being slightly more clear does nothing for keeping the system stable. Period.

No one ever said having starphire will make you a better reef keeper, but for me it makes it more enjoyable as I can see the colors in my tank much clearer and they don't have a cheap nasty green tint to them. Its ok tho, I don't expect you to understand as you've clearly never owned a starphire tank to really be able to appreciate the difference ;)

1. It isn't a fallacy just because you like the glass.

2. My company, British Aerospace Engineering( BAE) tested low iron glass on a Electronic Optical Sight for a 25mm cannon system, decided it wasn't worth the change for clarity. Now, while I am not the person who tested it, I run the MK25mm program on the east coast for the guns, so I was made well aware of them turning it down.

This isn't a fight, pushing the OP in a direction that has him spend extra budget money on a ,"System Novelty" and not an essential, preventing him from getting better equipment that will actually aid him down the road is crappy. The fact you like it, or I like it is irrelevant, its a gimmick. The tank being slightly more clear does nothing for keeping the system stable. Period.

1. your claiming there is no difference and you can't see the difference if the other isn't right next to it which is complete and utter bullshit.

2. I don't know shit about cannons, but I'm guessing a green tint isn't going to make a difference in the cannons accuracy. You can still see through it, shits just got a green tint, that said I am also guessing the price difference would be pretty insignificant on a per piece for a scope/ viewfinder. There is a visible difference in clarity in a display tank and IMO and MANY others starphire is clearer and looks much better in person. Its not a gimmick, its legit, you are just trying to claim it is a gimmick because your apparently ignorant to the clear difference anyone who has actually owned the two can see! I see your period and raise you an exclamation point :lol:

Steensj2004

No one ever said having starphire will make you a better reef keeper, but for me it makes it more enjoyable as I can see the colors in my tank much clearer and they don't have a cheap nasty green tint to them. Its ok tho, I don't expect you to understand as you've clearly never owned a starphire tank to really be able to appreciate the difference ;)

1. your claiming there is no difference and you can't see the difference if the other isn't right next to it which is complete and utter bullshit.

2. I don't know shit about cannons, but I'm guessing a green tint isn't going to make a difference in the cannons accuracy. You can still see through it, shits just got a green tint, that said I am also guessing the price difference would be pretty insignificant on a per piece for a scope/ viewfinder. There is a visible difference in clarity in a display tank and IMO and MANY others starphire is clearer and looks much better in person. Its not a gimmick, its legit, you are just trying to claim it is a gimmick because your apparently ignorant to the clear difference anyone who has actually owned the two can see! I see your period and raise you an exclamation point :lol:

Wait, so because I don't own one, I couldn't have possibly looked through one before, right? Because don't own one, and I didn't get those special glasses that make it super special with my, "Special glass" membership I can't see the difference, right? Maybe I haven't bragged enough about how much my tank cost? Hmmm, oh well.

I know you don't know anything about cannons, the EOS isn't a scope, Its a Large( about the size of that super fancy tank you bought) FLIR, Targeting camera....

I never said you can't ever see the difference, sure you could, if you were actually thinking about it. I can see the difference in Blu-Ray too, but nobody sits there, while trying to pay attention to a 2 hour movie and thins only about how GREAT it looks. If they are, why do they have a TV to watch? The idea that you think about how clear the tank is every time you look into it is ,"Complete and utter bullshit." Again, I own a very nice, very current flatscreen that is as current as definition gets for TV's. I'm not going to sit here and bullshit you and tell you how every time I turn it on I think about how clear and awesome it looks. Lol, I haven't noticed that more than MAYBE 5x since I left the store when I bought it....lmao....

WOW you guys are kind of getting off track here aren't you? I personally couldn't care less about standard or starphire but if I have the extra cash in the budget why not right? On the other hand I am currently looking at a CAD Artisan 70 gallon system which comes with low iron glass anyway. Good luck with your new set up I hope you get it all figured out. I am in the process of getting everything around for a new set up and I have bought a bunch of stuff just to have my plans change so the best advice for you is to plan the hell out of it and get what you want the first time.

Archived