Pod Your Reef

~$1600 budget CADLights

Ryan_E

So, as the title says. I am considering buying a cadlights versa 42 as my first tank. I posted awhile back about maybe getting a biocube, but after further research, I decided that I want a sump and a little bit bigger tank to house more livestock. Since this is my first tank, I could use A LOT of advice/insight from everyone with my current equipment list/cost estimate (especially with lighting). I want equipment that I can grow into with regards to corals without having to upgrade too much once I start to get the hang of things. Anyway, here is my list. Let me know if there are better options within my budget!

Cadlights Versa 42 gallon: $699

LED light: ???? (about $250-$300)

Eheim Jager Tru Temp 150w: $30

Hydor Korolia Evolution powerhead: $40

Protein Simmer: ???? (about $150)

Red Sea Test kits: $50

Refractometer: $50

Live Rock 40 lbs: $200

Sand 45 lbs?: $45

Fuge Light: $20

Miscellaneous Equipment/QT: $100

ATO: ???

Total: $1684

My total is close to $100 dollars over my total $1600 dollar budget. Being a little over is not that big of a deal to me, but would love to hear some of your opinions. I have seen what can be done with these tanks and I have enjoyed learning about some of yours.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say it....but I don't think you have enough of a budget for a tank of that size. You'll need more flow than that power head will give you. You'll be closer to $200 for something that will move enough water. MP 10 or a Gyre.

Definitely get a quality ATO.....love my Tunze. Couple hundred bucks.

LEDs. ...probably double your estimate. You could get two of the Ocean Revive units.....controllable/programmable.... $300 - $400 for two.

Look here on the classifieds.....you can get most of the stuff for good prices.

I hate to say it....but I don't think you have enough of a budget for a tank of that size. You'll need more flow than that power head will give you. You'll be closer to $200 for something that will move enough water. MP 10 or a Gyre.

Definitely get a quality ATO.....love my Tunze. Couple hundred bucks.

LEDs. ...probably double your estimate. You could get two of the Ocean Revive units.....controllable/programmable.... $300 - $400 for two.

Look here on the classifieds.....you can get most of the stuff for good prices.

Yeah I was afraid of that. I'll be starting off just as a FOWLR then working into corals. I was hoping to buy everything I woukd need up front, but I might end up having to slowly add items.

CAD 50G artisan is $899. For 200 more you get a plywood cabinet instead of MDF, a fuge light and a skimmer.

Haha yeah that was my next question! Seems like you save a little with that one...

Steensj2004

Yeah I was afraid of that. I'll be starting off just as a FOWLR then working into corals. I was hoping to buy everything I woukd need up front, but I might end up having to slowly add items.

Haha yeah that was my next question! Seems like you save a little with that one...

I 100% agree with Kat, get the 50 gallon if you are dead set on a CADLights. 900.00, and that leaves you 700.00 for additional equipment. IF it were me, I would get( assuming my mind was set on a CAD tank and my budget was the same)...

Cad Lights Artisan 50 Cube: 900.00

Heater Eheim Jager: 50.00

Used MP10 :170.00 ( there is even a new MP10QD in the classifieds for 200.00)

That leaves you about 500.00 left over for your budget. You could use it all up for a really nice light and do corals off the rip, or get a simple light and stick with FOWLR as you said. Better to buy HIGH quality items off the rip, and slowly add more as you can afford it. Don't skimp out and buy things twice, you'll regret it! As always, buying used will save you LOTS of money.

On a side note, call CAD and ask if they have some left over tanks from last years line. They might have a Artisan tank from 2014.

Skip Cad and get a quality tank instead. On paper they are nice but real life is what matters and real life experiences from what I have seen leave much to be desired. You might spend a little more on a quality set up but it will be worth it....

SchnauzerFace

Buying dry rock from BRS @ $3/lb will save you $80 on your rock budget. And if you get something really lightweight like pukani, you could get away with ~25 lbs for a 50g tank, which would only be like $100 shipped (or something like that). I ordered 25 lbs recently and it was more than twice what I needed.

If you want to stay within budget for LEDs, you could try these TaoTronics: http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics®165w-Dimmable-Aquarium-Lights-Seaweed/dp/B0092LXQRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431892503&sr=8-1&keywords=taotronics+reef+led

I know a lot of people will sneer at knock-off LEDs, but I've had these for over a year and I like them. Good growth and I like the colors. Not programmable of course, but they're reliable and in your budget.

Skip Cad and get a quality tank instead. On paper they are nice but real life is what matters and real life experiences from what I have seen leave much to be desired. You might spend a little more on a quality set up but it will be worth it....

What quality brands would you recommend? Anywhere between 40-50 gallons with a stand and sump.

I 100% agree with Kat, get the 50 gallon if you are dead set on a CADLights. 900.00, and that leaves you 700.00 for additional equipment. IF it were me, I would get( assuming my mind was set on a CAD tank and my budget was the same)...

Cad Lights Artisan 50 Cube: 900.00

Heater Eheim Jager: 50.00

Used MP10 :170.00 ( there is even a new MP10QD in the classifieds for 200.00)

That leaves you about 500.00 left over for your budget. You could use it all up for a really nice light and do corals off the rip, or get a simple light and stick with FOWLR as you said. Better to buy HIGH quality items off the rip, and slowly add more as you can afford it. Don't skimp out and buy things twice, you'll regret it! As always, buying used will save you LOTS of money.

On a side note, call CAD and ask if they have some left over tanks from last years line. They might have a Artisan tank from 2014.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try and get ahold of them. I definitely want to buy quality that has more than I need at the beginning. That way I don't have to keep upgrading/replacing like you mentioned.

What quality brands would you recommend? Anywhere between 40-50 gallons with a stand and sump.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try and get ahold of them. I definitely want to buy quality that has more than I need at the beginning. That way I don't have to keep upgrading/replacing like you mentioned.

SC Aquariums has some pretty nice setups.

This. I know people out there love their cad tanks, but I have hated every piece of cad equipment I have ever owned. EVERYTHING I have gotten from them had something wrong with it. I have had a tank, skimmer and reactor from them. never again.

Steensj2004

@ 1600.00, you can really get a nice tank started! Like I said above, you can have Ecotechs, good heaters, and a light that will grow about anything. IMHO, 3 places you NEVER skimp out:

1. Lighting

2.Skimmer

3.Powerheads/flow

you may want to investigate a LFS, and see if you can snag a Deep Blue rimless tank and a stand to go with it, sometimes you can snag some killers sales. Just be sure to shop around, write down the numbers, and build a setup-up 2-3 times before finalizing. I designed, re-designed at least 10x before I bought the first thing for my build.

@ 1600.00, you can really get a nice tank started! Like I said above, you can have Ecotechs, good heaters, and a light that will grow about anything. IMHO, 3 places you NEVER skimp out:

1. Lighting

2.Skimmer

3.Powerheads/flow

you may want to investigate a LFS, and see if you can snag a Deep Blue rimless tank and a stand to go with it, sometimes you can snag some killers sales. Just be sure to shop around, write down the numbers, and build a setup-up 2-3 times before finalizing. I designed, re-designed at least 10x before I bought the first thing for my build.

That is what I have been doing. Local LFS has all CAD tanks. I have priced out quite a few options and there hasn't been one in my budget that I feel 100 percent confident in. There is always at least one piece of equipment that I feel is not right. I liked the look of the cadlights tanks, but have heard a decent amount of people say they aren't very good quality. I have also seen a lot of people who love theirs and have been really successful with them. I have been researching quite heavily for a couple of months now, and the deeper I get, the more questions I have. I feel like I get further and further from knowing what I want.

Steensj2004

How against an AIO tank are you? Like say, a Innovative Marine 30 long? I just put together a IM 30l tank from Marinedepot with a Digital aquatics controller, Ecotech powerhead, heater, sand, rock, reactor, and DIY, dual float auto top off for 1200.00 shipped. That leaves you 400.00 for a light.... Could get a Nanobox :lol:

An AIO will make setup easier, and if you decided you don't like the hobby way less work in setting up, easy to get rid of. You could probably cut the price @1200.00 down to 1000.00 buying some used stuff too. And all that equipment can be used on another tank in the future if you upgrade!

How against an AIO tank are you? Like say, a Innovative Marine 30 long? I just put together a IM 30l tank from Marinedepot with a Digital aquatics controller, Ecotech powerhead, heater, sand, rock, reactor, and DIY, dual float auto top off for 1200.00 shipped. That leaves you 400.00 for a light.... Could get a Nanobox :lol:

An AIO will make setup easier, and if you decided you don't like the hobby way less work in setting up, easy to get rid of. You could probably cut the price @1200.00 down to 1000.00 buying some used stuff too. And all that equipment can be used on another tank in the future if you upgrade!

I originally was looking at an AIO, but after talking to a couple of friends and a guy at the LFS, they all said they would prefer a sump. So I started looking into that. I would be open to AIO or a full setup, but I would prefer to be around the 40-50 gallon mark.

Steensj2004

I originally was looking at an AIO, but after talking to a couple of friends and a guy at the LFS, they all said they would prefer a sump. So I started looking into that. I would be open to AIO or a full setup, but I would prefer to be around the 40-50 gallon mark.

Gotcha. Ever consider a 40 breeder drilled and sumped?

Gotcha. Ever consider a 40 breeder drilled and sumped?

My space is limited to about 30" width maximum and I like rimless. I guess my major question now is that if you all had about $1600 dollars to spend with a little flexibility, what tank/stand and light would you get that would allow you to get everything else within budget? In my opinion from what I have seen, the light makes or breaks the display. Then the tank itself is personal preference aesthetic wise. My problems with finding the exact setup I want have all revolved around what tank and what light would be my best for me to have decent livestock, be able to grow into with corals, and be beginner friendly. You guys are really helping me out here. Thanks a lot.

Those are awesome! that deal of the day is so tempting right now...

Exactly. OP - If you like pissing away money get a CAD. Some of the worst tanks on the market. Low quality "Low Iron" glass and almost every single item they send out has some sort of problem.

*edit*

I second the Deep Blue. Beautiful tanks. For some reason you can get screaming deals on them. One of my LFS just had one with a AI Nano, tank, stand and sump for $600. It was 40ish gallons. Not exactly sure on the size but it was very nice.

Steensj2004

Exactly. OP - If you like pissing away money get a CAD. Some of the worst tanks on the market. Low quality "Low Iron" glass and almost every single item they send out has some sort of problem.

*edit*

I second the Deep Blue. Beautiful tanks. For some reason you can get screaming deals on them. One of my LFS just had one with a AI Nano, tank, stand and sump for $600. It was 40ish gallons. Not exactly sure on the size but it was very nice.

Check out my tank thread, I have a35 gallon shallow from deep blue, nice tank! They have a large line of reef ready, rimless tanks. My 35 gallon tank( reef ready) 20 long DIY sump, and DIY stand cost me all of about 500.00. That leave you 1100.00 for equipment. The more DIY you can manage, the better off you will be money wise.

As far as the Light, If you do things right, you can afford a NICE light like a NanoBox or Similar.

IMG_1385_zps8jlocefn.jpg

IMG_1388_zps6vvuf0a7.jpg

Check out my tank thread, I have a35 gallon shallow from deep blue, nice tank! They have a large line of reef ready, rimless tanks. My 35 gallon tank( reef ready) 20 long DIY sump, and DIY stand cost me all of about 500.00. That leave you 1100.00 for equipment. The more DIY you can manage, the better off you will be money wise.

As far as the Light, If you do things right, you can afford a NICE light like a NanoBox or Similar.

IMG_1385_zps8jlocefn.jpg

IMG_1388_zps6vvuf0a7.jpg

That stand looks great. I wish I was that good at wood working. If I can snag that SCA 45 PNP on a deal of the day I will probably jump on it. I priced it out and I could get that, a nanobox duo, and a used mp10 with everything else besides water and live stock for just over $1600.

Visualscapes

I know Cadlights has very mixed reviews here, but I have to say when I was ordering my tank last year I found their customer service to be responsive and was impressed with the quality of my tank when it arrived. The plumbing is a little weird so I adapted it to standard sizing, but other than that I didn't have any issues, and I'm still happy with the tank. My experience, ymmv. ;)

I know Cadlights has very mixed reviews here, but I have to say when I was ordering my tank last year I found their customer service to be responsive and was impressed with the quality of my tank when it arrived. The plumbing is a little weird so I adapted it to standard sizing, but other than that I didn't have any issues, and I'm still happy with the tank. My experience, ymmv. ;)

Yeah I have heard about half and half good/bad reviews. A lot of people saying their customer service has been great recently.

CatfishSoupFTW

wouldnt a kessil a360we do you just on that tank? its close to your budget but a bit over. Or maybe two a160we for better control on spread?

PAR38 can run somewhat cheap, if you get the right colored bulbs and combos they can do you just, plus a goose neck and dimmer and timer But somehow I feel like that would turn into an upgrade.

Nanobox is hella expensive, especially if I were to order it and convert it to cad. lol But Kessil and par38 would be my guess for good lights on a reasonable budget.

wouldnt a kessil a360we do you just on that tank? its close to your budget but a bit over. Or maybe two a160we for better control on spread?

PAR38 can run somewhat cheap, if you get the right colored bulbs and combos they can do you just, plus a goose neck and dimmer and timer But somehow I feel like that would turn into an upgrade.

Nanobox is hella expensive, especially if I were to order it and convert it to cad. lol But Kessil and par38 would be my guess for good lights on a reasonable budget.

I actually had a Kessil as my first option in my last couple estimates. What do you mean by converting a nano box to cad?

CatfishSoupFTW

oh as CAD currency, Canadian currency. lol sorry I should have specified better. But our dollar is to poop right now, 1.20 per dollar. So 200 bucks is 240. and nanobox's being more expensive, you could imagine the fluctuation, plus taxes, and shipping etc. 0__0 a duo would run me about 600-700 I believe.

As for the kessil, if you have never seen one in action, I would suggest to. the dense matrix pretty much makes the disco partying obsolete. Radions are minimal on this, but the 30 pro does way better than the 15pro. But its still there. Nano box, no idea, razor(er?) does it as well I believe. Plus dat shimmmer shimmmaa on the kessil adds lots of movement to the tank. I think two a160we would be pretty neat. Having just ONE light would be nice, i.e. the a360we, but you would have to have it on the perfect spot due to the nature of the dense matrix.

Dont forget controllers though, not all lights offer this out of the box. While its not insanely important, youll want one eventually. lol

Archived