Coral Vue Hydros

feeding corals

Amy

xenia is like a weed, just keep good parameters and decent lighting and you shouldn't have issues growing them. As addinali mentioned Cyclopeez are more for LPS or Softies like Zoas that can get ahold of them where as I personally see a lot of cyclopeez hitting the sand bed wasted and creating uneccesary phosphates into your tank.

Weasel Baron

xeniids dont have a well developed digestive tract, cant effectively capture food particles, and get almost all their nutrition from their zooxanthellae. If you want to feed them try getting an amino acid mix, they wont get much (if anything) from cyclops.

If you have other things in your tank, they may benefit from regular feedings

Xenia also utilize (and benefit from some) nutrients in the water. Some people even use them in a refugium to reduce nutrients in the water column. However, I wouldn't purposely increase nutrient import for the sake of Xenia.

Hey Seabass, nice to hear from you. Oh gosh no I would not increase nutrients for the sake of the xenia, if it does well in my tank that is good and if not that is okay too. I just love the look of the pom pom xenia I might be eating those words oneday but for now it sure is pretty.

I don't think I want to be dosing that in a 3 gallon. My regular water changes should take care of that

I don't blame you for being cautious. I throw in one drop of lugols once in a while in my 3G pico. I think i do have some xenia in there but i also have macros which like iodine. In my 65G volume tank i throw in 5 drops at least 3X week. I'm not trying to maintain any levels, but my coral coloration speaks for itself.

Spiderguardnano

I don't blame you for being cautious. I throw in one drop of lugols once in a while in my 3G pico. I think i do have some xenia in there but i also have macros which like iodine. In my 65G volume tank i throw in 5 drops at least 3X week. I'm not trying to maintain any levels, but my coral coloration speaks for itself.

How much would you add for a 32g zoa tank

Do you think it will benefit them?

Test first - if you can't test it, don't dose it

Truthfully, there aren't any studies showing positive or negative effect of iodine. From my personal experience, it enhances colors. It's also an anti-bacterial, which is why it is used in dips and when fragging corals.

This guy loves it for his xenia

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/xenia-amp-iodine-dosing-results-169564.html

I use my Xenia for nutrient export. It enjoys life in my dirty tank.

Archived