Cultivated Reef

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

Looking good buddy. You must have a nice LFS. Mine are decent but they don't carry stuff like the Osmolator or Vortechs in stock. They also try and push their crappy import LEDs.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

Looking good buddy. You must have a nice LFS. Mine are decent but they don't carry stuff like the Osmolator or Vortechs in stock. They also try and push their crappy import LEDs.

Yeah I have so many stores around me, its amazing. VIP reef for Rock Anenomes and fish, Exotic Aquariums for high end equipment (Apex, Vortech, AquaIllumination, etc.), and House of Fins for all my marine fish needs.

Theres also ReefCleaners 2 hours away, Reef Savvy 30 minutes away, Ocean Aquatics, etc. all close by :)

HarryPotter

The LFS had a mated pair of Adult ORA Darwin clowns that I was drooling over.

Only thing was that it's $340 for the pair! I asked them to get some more from their source, and they said the smaller ones would be $30 each.

Tentative fish list:

2 Darwin Clowns

?????

?????

?????

HarryPotter

Aww man I woke up to a dead cleaner shrimp :(

I did a two hour acclimation, and the parameters tested perfect AGAIN this morning. I don't know why, but I'm going to wait till next weekend to move stuff over.

Meanwhile the Zoa frag is going crazy- a single head two weeks ago (roughly cut from the base and glued on) has five more coming out. I'm probably going to give it to Andy718, who just finished his (uber long and careful) cycle

HarryPotter

Any ideas why this happened?

I don't want to be a jerk with just a bump, so here's a picture of a Racing FPV Quadcopter that I am putting together.

IMG_9325_zps7wdmzvfx.jpg

And my puppy's guilty face- he knows he shouldn't be chomping on the pillow :lol:

IMG_4507_zpssvrrd4sj.jpg

HarryPotter

Hahaha the guilty puppy face! Dude the tank is really looking sharp.

Thanks, any idea what killed the shrimp? I'm pretty sure it wasn't acclimation, and the basic parameters (ammonia, nitrate,

Nitrite) tested fine

You're positive it was the shrimp and not a molt? Otherwise I am not sure as I have a cleaner but don't know much about them. What were your parameters?

HarryPotter

You're positive it was the shrimp and not a molt? Otherwise I am not sure as I have a cleaner but don't know much about them. What were your parameters?

Yep, 100% not a molt :(

I'm thinking it was either stress of the acclimation, or there is an equipment failure of some sort.

I am planning on testing Cu as well, since perhaps a screw fell in or there's rust within the new equipment

Parameters:

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

Ca 430

PH 8.2

Temp 79

HarryPotter

A bit of action in the RL-45! omgomgomg

IMG_0519_zps87kqssrc.jpg

And an update of the Cube! Pardon the mess- I just fed CoralSnow and a cube of Mysis. The battle against GHA is almost done, but slower now that the reactors are on the RL-45

IMG_0522_zpsvabzqwzy.jpg

thecoralbeauty

A bit of action in the RL-45! omgomgomg

IMG_0519_zps87kqssrc.jpg

And an update of the Cube! Pardon the mess- I just fed CoralSnow and a cube of Mysis. The battle against GHA is almost done, but slower now that the reactors are on the RL-45

IMG_0522_zpsvabzqwzy.jpg

I really love the scape on this. And ah! your caps! I actually ordered one of gena's today. =) so stoked!

As far as the shrimp, No idea. I had a strawberry/fire shrimp, whatever you call it, and a peppermint, and a cleaner, and they were all fine (but i took about FOREVER acclimating them to my tank because I read somewhere that they were sensitive). Ultimately, my powerhead claimed their lives though. Sad days.

HarryPotter

I really love the scape on this. And ah! your caps! I actually ordered one of gena's today. =) so stoked!

As far as the shrimp, No idea. I had a strawberry/fire shrimp, whatever you call it, and a peppermint, and a cleaner, and they were all fine (but i took about FOREVER acclimating them to my tank because I read somewhere that they were sensitive). Ultimately, my powerhead claimed their lives though. Sad days.

Thanks- the main rock is a single piece from the LFS, and there is also a piece of tonga from the Cichlid tank. The Lucinda Pedestal (Clam rock) is pretty terrible, but Im hoping to move the clam. Its pretty stuck though....

How does one remove a clam from its rock? I don't want to razor the Byssal threads due to fear of hurting it, but that rock has to go.

I ALMOST ordered one of Gena's Caps but I didn't realize that the fancy shipping was necessary for Florida. The LFS ended up having around the same pricing (Actually a tiny bit cheaper) and no shipping, so I jumped at the chance.

Yeah I acclimated the cleaner shrimp for about two hours with a drop per second. It looked fine at first, but this morning nope. I hope that it was just stress/ a bad acclimation (somehow) rather than an issue with the water!

thecoralbeauty

I've always acclimated by hand with a turkey baster- i think i went a small squirt per half hour. hard to recall. I'm hoping it was stress too!

yea, cali to florida is a trip. colorado isn't so far.

As far as moving your clam- i would bother it constantly for a few days to see if it decides to let go. just wiggle it around a bit for a few minutes whenever you can. one of mine at least detached that way. Then I learned my lesson and made a little disc out of putty for it to sit on so I can move it when I need to. lol

HarryPotter

As far as moving your clam- i would bother it constantly for a few days to see if it decides to let go. just wiggle it around a bit for a few minutes whenever you can. one of mine at least detached that way. Then I learned my lesson and made a little disc out of putty for it to sit on so I can move it when I need to. lol

Ahh! You tell me now? If only earlier when I asked for all of your clam advice!

I am going to be away next weekend, so am not sure if I can make the transition this week or if I should wait till my return. Ill see how the water looks, I guess

HarryPotter

The Zoa polyp(s) all look great, and the water tested perfect again. Debating if I can just do an immediate transfer of EVERYTHING, including the SPS and clams tomorrow when my ReefCleaners rock arrives. Maybe aquascape tomorrow, and then corals the day after?

Next test coral options:

• Duncan
  • Frogspawn
  • Pipe Organ
thecoralbeauty

The Zoa polyp(s) all look great, and the water tested perfect again. Debating if I can just do an immediate transfer of EVERYTHING, including the SPS and clams tomorrow when my ReefCleaners rock arrives. Maybe aquascape tomorrow, and then corals the day after?

Next test coral options:

• Duncan
  • Frogspawn
  • Pipe Organ

aquascape first, then corals, is my vote. clam last.

HarryPotter

aquascape first, then corals, is my vote. clam last.

Yeah I know that, I meant what should the timeline be?

ReefCleaners arrives this afternoon, so I'll make the scape. I really suck at that, so will try it out-of-tank first and post some pictures

Pic update: Duncan looking sexy

IMG_0526_zpscpo4ca1f.jpg

thecoralbeauty

oh. Idk, i mean i think your test coral idea works well, and it's more of a wait-till-dust-settles issue than anything else, right? I'm paranoid, so I might end up waiting a day or so, but also, I can be impatient, and I might also just wait overnight. do what feels right!!

Also, I have sugar fine sand, so anything I do takes forever to calm down. My timeline could be skewed because of that.

HarryPotter

oh. Idk, i mean i think your test coral idea works well, and it's more of a wait-till-dust-settles issue than anything else, right? I'm paranoid, so I might end up waiting a day or so, but also, I can be impatient, and I might also just wait overnight. do what feels right!!

Also, I have sugar fine sand, so anything I do takes forever to calm down. My timeline could be skewed because of that.

The zoanthid polyps look MUCH better than they were in the NanoCube- very interesting.

Perhaps my lack of water changed was/is having a negative effect on the aquarium!

I also just began using Marine Snow, which my trachphyllia apparently LOVES! After researching, many say that direct feeding it is not great, and that they enjoy phyto and detritus. :)

As of now the RL-45 is clear, even after mixing up the sand for the third time. I think my schedule will mainly depend on how long it takes me to get a nice aquascape.

I am going to be posting pictures of the rocks and the proposed scapes around 3ish :)

HarryPotter

Today's haul:

5 gallon RO/DI

1 stick epoxy

1 green slimer frag (A $4.99 steal- it's already encrusted over the frag plug AND is 3" tall)

The ReefCleaners rock is getting delivered any minute, so be prepared for a desperate aquascaper's photo bomb

Nice, looks like you're getting a good start. I'd recommend finding a way for little to now shadow. You have a lot of flat rock which is nice, but build a base leading up so you have real estate for corals without shadowing. Not sure if I read, but the nano osmolator works great...

thecoralbeauty

hmm maybe try the flatter pieces lower down to create lower ledges instead of one big overhanging flat landing. I have one flat rock as the base of one of my islands (the goby/pistol live under it) and another flat piece sticking out mid-way in my tank for a ledge.

Archived