Pod Your Reef

Biocube 29 LED update

andrepeixoto

andrepeixoto

I'm doing the LED update on my BioCube29, here is what I was thinking of getting:

14000k - 199 lumens

20000k - 199 lumens

Blue - 149 lumens

I'm not plaining on doing any hard corals. What do you guys think?

andrepeixoto

Confused. What do these 14Kk, 20Kk, and blues mean?

Those are the color temperature, and I update a little bit.

14000k - 250 lumens

20000k - 250 lumens

Actinic Blue - 250 lumens

6500k - 100 lumens (refugium)

tjwaggoner

I'm getting ready to tear down my biocube 29 but I retrofitted the hood with 3 ecoxotic panorama pro modules and 1 stunner strip all ran off the ecoxotic controller. If you are keeping lower light demanding stuff in the tank, it's about as simple and easy an led retro you can do. No chopping the hood to pieces or anything. Pop the bulbs out, mount the strips, plug them all together, put the splash shield back on and you're done.

Honestly I liked the "look" of the tank best when it had the factory pc bulbs and 5 10k and 5 blue LEDs in with them. The way it looks with the full led set looks a little too blue for my tastes. But it was a cheap retrofit (did it mainly for heat control) and easy to do and undo later.

I'm thinking of just trying to sell the hood on here instead of trying to sell the whole tank locally then just trash or give away the tank itself. Probably have about as much luck selling it.

If you want a first class led hood for a biocube, send Dave at nanobox a message. Really cool guy and makes in my opinion the best led upgrade path for the stock hood. Others may tell you different and that's just my opinion Of course.

If you want a first class led hood for a biocube, send Dave at nanobox a message. Really cool guy and makes in my opinion the best led upgrade path for the stock hood. Others may tell you different and that's just my opinion Of course.

I agree, Dave did an excellent job on my retro.....

tjwaggoner

I should insert a disclaimer: I haven't used the nanobox retro. It was a little more money than I wanted to spend at the time and then I outgrew the biocube in a few months. Doesn't change my opinion that from what's out there in a ready to use retro fit package, it's the best.

rone_kevin66

Nice setup. If you have the coin the nano box retro is the best one you can get. His led pucks are one of the best out their. Send him an email he will get back to you and tell you everything you need to know

Archived