Pod Your Reef

Coral Pro Salt

skimed

HarryPotter

You gonna try something else man?

Honestly I have just been skipping water changes for the last 4 months or so. I know, its terrible! Corals look better than ever though, and no fish currently.

I might try Red Sea Coral Pro, or might use the LFS natural water.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cencalfishguy56

Yea I'm gonna do the blue bucket I think, when I switched to coral pro my lps hit rock bottom the alk was so high man

Honestly I have just been skipping water changes for the last 4 months or so. I know, its terrible! Corals look better than ever though, and no fish currently.

I might try Red Sea Coral Pro, or might use the LFS natural water.

I wish my LFS had already premixed water, I'm a lady bum sometimes just waiting for it to mix haha

Lazy

So you think Public Aquariums with tens of thousands of dollars of livestock/coral and expert reef keepers such as Randy Holmes Farley are using the "tostinos" of the salt world to ensure the health of their specimens?

Sometimes most popular doesn't equate to lowest common denominator.

When I open my public aquarium I will let you know. Although I probably will just plumb the system right into the ocean.

Fact remains for me that most salt mix is finicky in mixing, inconsistent parameters when mixed, creates brown crud/sludge that no one knows what it is, can't be stored, and the dry mix degrades over time. I am not an aquarium mixing up 1000's of gallons in one shot, nor am I the most expert SPS keeper in the world--I need all the advantages I can and limiting even seemingly benign things from my system seems to work for me.

I've never been one to follow the crowd just because (and I've given sound reasons not to here).

None of what you are saying is quantifiable. Isn't there dry portions to ESV? Why aren't they degrading?

You are obviously being obtuse and reflecting the information I am trying to convey to you. The reason I am pointing out that public aquariums and expert reef keepers use basic salts such as IO is that if there was something better out there don't you think the experts would be using it? I'm not sure how you would need to be an expert in the first place when using a salt mix. There isn't much to making RODI, dumping salt in and then mixing.

Please explain to me the advantages that ESV is giving you that actually benefit the coral in your tank. So far you haven't provided any.

12_egg_Omelette

Bill - most places filter natural sea water such as Monterey bay. Texas parks and wildlife filters natural sea water for the sports fish restocking facility. Pull up some scientific papers where they state what they use a lot use IO.

If you like I can compile a list for you post the authors h factor and the journals impact factor but that would be a moot point.

People buy based on a multitude of factors. I know people who never test anything and dose and grow delicate sps coral from people who test and try to control for everything.

The fact is if you're successful there is no need to change things. That's one of the golden rules on scientific SOPs.

I don't even know why I care about this topic. I'm really just arguing to argue. I don't use Red Sea nor IO.

None of what you are saying is quantifiable. Isn't there dry portions to ESV? Why aren't they degrading?

You are obviously being obtuse and reflecting the information I am trying to convey to you. The reason I am pointing out that public aquariums and expert reef keepers use basic salts such as IO is that if there was something better out there don't you think the experts would be using it? I'm not sure how you would need to be an expert in the first place when using a salt mix. There isn't much to making RODI, dumping salt in and then mixing.

Please explain to me the advantages that ESV is giving you that actually benefit the coral in your tank. So far you haven't provided any.

I'm sorry for not being clear. Obtuse? LOL!

As i have said, my needs are much smaller than an aquarium. I don't mix an entire 200 box or bucket at a time. I make 10 gallons a shot. My needs are not the same.

All in one salt mixes have issues with the constituent components settling out in the mix as well as clumping issues over time. They don,t store well. This can lead to inconsistent parameters batch to batch when I scoop out 10 gallons worth of clumpy salt mix. ESV does not have this problem as the salt, mg, Ca, and Alk separate. My 10 gallon batches are exact batch to batch, every time. Better for corals.

I have had all in one mixes go cloudy when mixing and never clear. I've had brown floaters show up in two days using all in one mix. It was so nasty the brown crap clung to the hair on my arms. The water I was replacing was way cleaner! I dumped 70 gallons of Kent mix that did that. Why would anyone use such water? Don't care if Julian uses it. ESV mixes totally clear and stays that way.

Why are you discounting all these reasons I am giving you over and over? I'm supposed to not worry about it because no one else does? Am I supposed to just use cloudy water or water with brown crap floating in it? Why should I need to keep adjust mg, Ca, Alk EVERY time I mix a batch of salt? Why should I use a salt that I can't store?

Bill - most places filter natural sea water such as Monterey bay. Texas parks and wildlife filters natural sea water for the sports fish restocking facility. Pull up some scientific papers where they state what they use a lot use IO.

If you like I can compile a list for you post the authors h factor and the journals impact factor but that would be a moot point.

People buy based on a multitude of factors. I know people who never test anything and dose and grow delicate sps coral from people who test and try to control for everything.

The fact is if you're successful there is no need to change things. That's one of the golden rules on scientific SOPs.

I don't even know why I care about this topic. I'm really just arguing to argue. I don't use Red Sea nor IO.

Not all public aquariums are near the ocean!

I'm sorry for not being clear. Obtuse? LOL!

As i have said, my needs are much smaller than an aquarium. I don't mix an entire 200 box or bucket at a time. I make 10 gallons a shot. My needs are not the same.

All in one salt mixes have issues with the constituent components settling out in the mix as well as clumping issues over time. They don,t store well. This can lead to inconsistent parameters batch to batch when I scoop out 10 gallons worth of clumpy salt mix. ESV does not have this problem as the salt, mg, Ca, and Alk separate. My 10 gallon batches are exact batch to batch, every time. Better for corals.

I have had all in one mixes go cloudy when mixing and never clear. I've had brown floaters show up in two days using all in one mix. It was so nasty the brown crap clung to the hair on my arms. The water I was replacing was way cleaner! I dumped 70 gallons of Kent mix that did that. Why would anyone use such water? Don't care if Julian uses it. ESV mixes totally clear and stays that way.

Why are you discounting all these reasons I am giving you over and over? I'm supposed to not worry about it because no one else does? Am I supposed to just use cloudy water or water with brown crap floating in it? Why should I need to keep adjust mg, Ca, Alk EVERY time I mix a batch of salt? Why should I use a salt that I can't store?

You are the one trying to state that if you use Instant Ocean your fish will immediately jump out of the tank and your coral will refuse to grow. I have used ESV and agree that it mixed fast and clear. But that being said I haven't noticed any difference in my coral going from ESV to Reef Crystal to Blue Bucket. If you would like to spend money on a "designer" salt that is great but I feel its disingenuous to claim that ESV salt is somehow better at growing corals.

If that were true everyone would be using it. Do you think "experts" enjoy a challenge?

You are the one trying to state that if you use Instant Ocean your fish will immediately jump out of the tank and your coral will refuse to grow. I have used ESV and agree that it mixed fast and clear. But that being said I haven't noticed any difference in my coral going from ESV to Reef Crystal to Blue Bucket. If you would like to spend money on a "designer" salt that is great but I feel its disingenuous to claim that ESV salt is somehow better at growing corals.

If that were true everyone would be using it. Do you think "experts" enjoy a challenge?

:blink:

I'll stop now. You're right, I'm wrong. You win the internet.

12_egg_Omelette

Bill I'm a researcher at a research intensive which used to be called a research 1 institute. There's a lot of reasons why people use certain techniques and processes in science. When I'm doing immune blot for blocking and primary incubation I'll use carnation non fat dry milk as opposed to a high fraction of BSA. Some antibodies work great at $350 of 5ml others I have to spend $700-$800 for 30 uls (microliters).

There's a lot of other high level techniques that's I'm not bringing up. You also have to think that science looks if there is a significant difference between methods and then how repeatable and precise/accurate it is as well.

If there is no significance difference between the results but there is at the price I don't want to use it. Unless it reduces time from multiple days to one.

Not all public aquariums are near the ocean!

aviator300

I've been using Red Sea Coral Pro salt for a year and a half and still don't know anything about this (so called) precipitate when mixing too long. Sometimes i mix for almost 24 hrs and then let it sit for another 2 days (because something came up and i couldn't do the water change right then). After the 2 days, i'd mix it again for a couple hours and then use it.

I have never experienced any precipitate or brown clumps or anything like that. I've read all the posts and listened to all the red sea videos that say to mix only shortly and i still have this one big question that i can't seem to get answers that make sense to.

If RSCP salt precipitates by circulating it too long in the mixing bucket then why doesn't it precipitate while circulating in the aquarium. What's the difference??

I've used Red Sea Coral Pro and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

I've left both in the mix container for weeks and never got precipitating elements or brown gunk.

Coral always did good in both mixes. So did fish and inverts.

Don't get the bashing of the regular IO honestly. All my research points to it being one of the most consistent salt mixes out there. Reef Crystals not so much but not significantly off base usually.

• 4 weeks later...

5.1 oz of coral pro salt per 128fl. oz (1gallon) of H20 = 1.025

However I ALSO experience the brown smut that covers the white bucket i mix my water in and it covers my heater and pump, even the cables as well.

I have been told this is the caking agent, which is what they add to the mix in order to keep it from clunking up and leaving us with solid rocks instead of a powder. However I have also been told that this is normal and it doesn't affect anything in the water chemistry ...but it is a pain in the ass to clean my container afterwards.

Nanofreak79

I've gotten the brown crap on my mixing pump from every salt of tried, minus ESV, I've never used. RSCP has to high of alk, especially if doing large water changes, the jump of alk/spike from the new water sucked. I just went back to regular IO, then back to RC. I know RC is sometimes not as on point with there numbers, but I find that to be rare. Anyway, salt is a personal preference, IMO. Some think the high buck stuff is what makes there reef shine others use the cheaper salt and still have the same results. If I were to go back to Red Sea it would be there blue bucket.

I use coral pro and let it mix overnight.

I like being able to come home right after work and do my water change ASAP without having to wait at all, even 10, 20 minutes for my salt to mix. I also let it mix in my bathroom, with a lid mostly on, and the door mostly closed to keep my cat out of the water. Means it warms the water up so I don't need a heater.

Never had a problem with the water getting funky.

Same with me. I mix it up and keep some with a powerhead in a bucket if I need it throughout the week. I've had no issues with slimy stuff at all.

reefernanoman

I've gotten the brown crap on my mixing pump from every salt of tried, minus ESV, I've never used. RSCP has to high of alk, especially if doing large water changes, the jump of alk/spike from the new water sucked. I just went back to regular IO, then back to RC. I know RC is sometimes not as on point with there numbers, but I find that to be rare. Anyway, salt is a personal preference, IMO. Some think the high buck stuff is what makes there reef shine others use the cheaper salt and still have the same results. If I were to go back to Red Sea it would be there blue bucket.

What size tank do you have? do you dose? and how long have you been using RC? I'm currently using RSCP, but I don't know if I want to pay $78 for their 175G bucket again. My corals are doing fine, but like you said, all the salts seem to grow corals just fine. I have a 10G and a 28G and don't dose anything and just direct feed my corals twice a week reef chilli. Before switching, I was using KM and my corals were doing fine too. I see that the RC 160G bucket is only a few bucks less than 175G RSCP, so that's interesting.

Nanofreak79

I have a 68 gallon and a 6 gallon. I dose my 68 although it's fairly new and low on sticks so mostly alk now. The little one just gets large WC's. I order 200gallon box of RC and it's usually $45.00 at my LFS or $48? On Amazon, I'd have to check Amazon for sure price. Amazon is 46-48 shipped to my door. I feel like I've tried every salt out there minus a few shitty ones I wouldn't use anyway. I always come back to RC, I tried regular IO but needed too much dosing IMO. The bucket thing is crap, Amazon had it way cheaper and then they started charging tax and raised prices on stuff. The box has four bags in it, and I just put it Ina previous bucket. I feed reef chili and reef roids. I use ESV B ionic for two part and there mag. Use to use BRS two part for awhile but let's face it I'm lazy and hate mixing things. Lol I've used RC for years and then started farting around trying different salts, which was a waste of time and money. I used RSCP for a year or so, but I find RC cheaper and the mag, alk and all that might be lower, but the alk is super high IMO on the RSCP.

reefernanoman

I have a 68 gallon and a 6 gallon. I dose my 68 although it's fairly new and low on sticks so mostly alk now. The little one just gets large WC's. I order 200gallon box of RC and it's usually $45.00 at my LFS or $48? On Amazon, I'd have to check Amazon for sure price. Amazon is 46-48 shipped to my door. I feel like I've tried every salt out there minus a few shitty ones I wouldn't use anyway. I always come back to RC, I tried regular IO but needed too much dosing IMO. The bucket thing is crap, Amazon had it way cheaper and then they started charging tax and raised prices on stuff. The box has four bags in it, and I just put it Ina previous bucket. I feed reef chili and reef roids. I use ESV B ionic for two part and there mag. Use to use BRS two part for awhile but let's face it I'm lazy and hate mixing things. Lol I've used RC for years and then started farting around trying different salts, which was a waste of time and money. I used RSCP for a year or so, but I find RC cheaper and the mag, alk and all that might be lower, but the alk is super high IMO on the RSCP.

And then I read that someone mentioned on an online review that Alk on RC was too high? lol. go figure.

Nanofreak79

Too much reading will do that to you, as in make you wonder what's right and wrong, when it comes to reefing.

This is an interesting thread,I have just got the equipment to make my own saltwater and chose IO,price seemed decent and it's also available at my lfs that's 5 mins away. But I did consider coral pro as it had pretty favorable reviews.

Nanofreak79

IO is a great salt, and very affordable. If I were to do a change again it would be to blue bucket of RedSea.....little cheaper than RSCP. I don't think people using RSCP are stupid or there tanks are not amazing, JMO here.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SNKMVI/ref=twister_B00CI6TO6A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

So reef crystals is higher price again on Amazon....they always do this, anyways both still very affordable for amount of mix.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ocean-Crystal-Marine-200-Gallon/dp/B0002DJU0G/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1434688450&sr=1-1&keywords=reef+crystals+200+gallon+mix

RSCP

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-ARE11230-Aquarium-175-Gallon/dp/B000YJ2XCU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1434688583&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=red+sea+coral+pro+salt+175+gal

reefernanoman

Too much reading will do that to you, as in make you wonder what's right and wrong, when it comes to reefing.

Absolutely true! There seems to be just as much pros and cons!

This is an interesting thread,I have just got the equipment to make my own saltwater and chose IO,price seemed decent and it's also available at my lfs that's 5 mins away. But I did consider coral pro as it had pretty favorable reviews.

What I didn't like about IO was that even after mixing my batch (4 gallons in a bucket) for at least 24 hrs, there were still clumps of salt and some nasty looking residue left at the bottom every single time. With KM there was no salt clumps left, but there was still like crap left at the bottom. With RSCP there's absolutely nothing to left and I can use the mix after like 30 minutes of mixing (water is crystal clear). That was never the case with IO. KM would be good after like a day also.

Wow! Staying out of this one.

I have used Red Sea Pro Coral with good results, Instant Oceans and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals all with good results.

Brown gunk is supposed to be EDTA.

New paper out with higher alkalinity (RSPC) an increased coral growth in a higher nutrient system. Maybe some logic to there reasoning.

Just pick what you like and want to pay for.

Why would anyone use a mix that would do that? Or a mix that is sensitive to mixing and can't be stored? I had issues with Kent salt mix--it would get funky floating things in it if it sat overnight. It looked like brown fish flakes. I switched to the spendy ESV 4 part system and will never use another salt mix. It is expensive, but worth every penny. I mix it up by measuring to 1/10th a gram and it is dead on every time. It looks just as clear as RODI when mixed and can be stored for at least a month (the longest I have has some sit). Almost no salt creep in the tank.

Jedimaster1138 on this forum used ESV for a while and has chronic phosphate levels to the point of toxicity. Check his thread - the science reef. Last couple of posts tell you about it.

Archived