Coral Vue Hydros

Coral Pro Salt

skimed

Cencalfishguy56

I use this salt and store for up to a week with no issues. I normally only mix for about 30 minutes and than it sits ina bucket with a lid and a heater for up to a week before I use all of it. Havent had any issues yet and been using it for four months. I am going to test the alk right after mixing and than a few days later and see if anything changes. I am to curious why they say not to mix for longer than a certain period of time.

I am too, I would love to store it but just never wanted to attempt it so let us know man!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think brown stuff is really a problem just ugly. I used reef crystals before I switched and it always had brown crud.

I don't think brown stuff is really a problem just ugly. I used reef crystals before I switched and it always had brown crud.

Yeah, but what is that stuff?

Probably organic precipitate. I understand your point but the fact is there are 100's of excellent tanks using salts that leave a brown residue. I believe we can all safely assume its harmless.

Probably organic precipitate. I understand your point but the fact is there are 100's of excellent tanks using salts that leave a brown residue. I believe we can all safely assume its harmless.

I'm not one to follow the crowd.

aviator300

I've used RSCP since i started reefing about 18 mo ago and never have any problems storing it for up to a week..

I use a postal scale and 5.7 oz per gallon of distilled water gives me 1.025 and 35ppm every time.

I'm not one to follow the crowd.

I'm the opposite with my tank! I scan all the successful tanks I love and try to copy them as much as possible :lol:

I'm the opposite with my tank! I scan all the successful tanks I love and try to copy them as much as possible :lol:

Yeah, I am sure that the brown floaties are the key to success... :huh::D

Yeah, I am sure that the brown floaties are the key to success... :huh::D

I used to use ESV three tanks ago and it was very nice. Just can't justify the price and limited availability when it arguably doesn't matter which salt you use as long as it matches the parameters you are aiming for.

I used to use ESV three tanks ago and it was very nice. Just can't justify the price and limited availability when it arguably doesn't matter which salt you use as long as it matches the parameters you are aiming for.

I disagree that all salt is the same. The price I don't really care about. I spend $150 a year on salt mix, not a BFD big picture. I'd rather not have mystery organic matter magically appear in my saltwater and build up in my equipment. I also like the clarity of the ESV water (can't tell the difference between salt and RO/DI) and salt creep in non-existent. I get dead-on consistency batch to batch. The mix does not go bad over time as there are no settling/clumping issues of the mix. I can store the mixed water for at least a month without issue at all.

I have had issues with all of these things with other salt mixes in the past.

All of these things are nice but does lack of salt creep make my acro grow faster? I haven't experienced any deviation in batches in any salts I've used. I stored reef crystals for over a month and never had problems unless you consider brown crud a problem.

Trust me I get it ESV is nice. For me personally, I am cheap and like to save money anywhere I can in this expensive hobby. To me blue bucket is better than ESV because it matches the parameters I aim for and its cheaper.

ESV is actually losing customers because many zeo and ULNS people would switch to ESV but the alk is too high.

I disagree that all salt is the same. The price I don't really care about. I spend $150 a year on salt mix, not a BFD big picture. I'd rather not have mystery organic matter magically appear in my saltwater and build up in my equipment. I also like the clarity of the ESV water (can't tell the difference between salt and RO/DI) and salt creep in non-existent. I get dead-on consistency batch to batch. The mix does not go bad over time as there are no settling/clumping issues of the mix. I can store the mixed water for at least a month without issue at all.

I have had issues with all of these things with other salt mixes in the past.

This is all well and good but the best SPS tank in the world at the moment, see history of lunars reef on RC, uses IO. Floaties or lack of in a mix seem to have no bearing on success. So IMO it makes no sense to spend extra on salt.

Now what is this about salt creep?

This is all well and good but the best SPS tank in the world at the moment, see history of lunars reef on RC, uses IO. Floaties or lack of in a mix seem to have no bearing on success. So IMO it makes no sense to spend extra on salt.

Now what is this about salt creep?

Hmm, so I need to be the best SPS reefer in the world to make IO work for me? Was that my problem? :huh: I just don't see enough cost savings for me to be using finicky salt mixes that grow brown crap overnight. If it matters not as you say, I'll take the salt mix that is stable, mixes easy, and remains crystal clear. Call me silly.

As for the salt creep, no idea why this would be. The ESV doesn't really have any issues with salt creep for me. Tropic Marin was the worst I have used. I just now ran my fingers around my tank (34g cube DIY AIO) and there was none. I don't know what would be different to make it less prone to creep, but it seems so much better. With TM, I would have to worry about chunks of salt dropping into the tank (they can really piss off corals) I never have enough such salt creep with ESV that I don't even think about it. My 10g QT has an AC70 that has great flow and even then there is no creep that I notice.

Hmm, so I need to be the best SPS reefer in the world to make IO work for me? Was that my problem? :huh:

I think you are missing the point. IO is by far the most popular salt in the world. It's not just that the best SPS tank uses it but really most tanks you see use either IO or Reef Crystals. IMO way too much is put into brand of salt when parameters are all that matters. Many salts are actually produced in the same factories with different alk, calc and mag numbers as specified and a different label on the bag.

If something wasn't working for you I think you would be hard pressed to substantiate the claim that it was instant ocean. Usually people having "problems" with a salt really have other underlying chemistry or lighting issues that are causing the problem.

12_egg_Omelette

You know that shit .99 pizza tostinos. Believe it or not they are the number one seller of pizza in the world. Just because you move the most volume of a product doesn't mean it's the best nor even satisfying. However drunk and hung over shits great and it's 99 cents. Value is based on perception. The free market for people to sell salts has lead to an increase in high quality products and many products at a diverse price range.

What salt do I use. I use Aqua vitro salinity but I have a 12 gallon nano. If I had a 100 to 250 gallon tank there would be no way in hell I would drop that kind of money on salt I would be using IO.

Cencalfishguy56

You know that shit .99 pizza tostinos. Believe it or not they are the number one seller of pizza in the world. Just because you move the most volume of a product doesn't mean it's the best nor even satisfying. However drunk and hung over shits great and it's 99 cents. Value is based on perception. The free market for people to sell salts has lead to an increase in high quality products and many products at a diverse price range.

What salt do I use. I use Aqua vitro salinity but I have a 12 gallon nano. If I had a 100 to 250 gallon tank there would be no way in hell I would drop that kind of money on salt I would be using IO.

Tostinos is only good if you're drunk though lol I hate it if I'm sober it's like cardboard with a half ass cheese job and cheap ass pepperoni bits lmao but In all seriousness you're right! By the way do you guys prefer the blue bucket or RSCP? I'm starting to think about switching to blue bucket the alk in coral pro is a tad high for my taste

If I were to use any red sea salt it would be the blue bucket. I used rscp for years and dumped it because the elements were way too exaggerated. plus, I was tired of the inconsistent batches and the precipitation of major elements from letting it mix too long. since I live in az, my garage gets pretty hot during the summer. I switched back to the tried and true, plain Jane instant ocean.

Cencalfishguy56

If I were to use any red sea salt it would be the blue bucket. I used rscp for years and dumped it because the elements were way too exaggerated. plus, I was tired of the inconsistent batches and the precipitation of major elements from letting it mix too long. since I live in az, my garage gets pretty hot during the summer. I switched back to the tried and true, plain Jane instant ocean.

So you think Public Aquariums with tens of thousands of dollars of livestock/coral and expert reef keepers such as Randy Holmes Farley are using the "tostinos" of the salt world to ensure the health of their specimens?

Sometimes most popular doesn't equate to lowest common denominator.

Cencalfishguy56

Yea I'm thinking of switching back to IO reef crystals or the blue bucket, seems like I have more headaches with this mix param wise compared to IO

HarryPotter

Haha I have IO, and never have been able to "make" it!

Sucks- the water goes COMPLETELY opaque even after sitting w. powerhead and heater for a WEEK!

WTF! omgomgomg

Cencalfishguy56

Haha I have IO, and never have been able to "make" it!

Sucks- the water goes COMPLETELY opaque even after sitting w. powerhead and heater for a WEEK!

WTF! omgomgomg

You gonna try something else man?

Yea I'm thinking of switching back to IO reef crystals or the blue bucket, seems like I have more headaches with this mix param wise compared to IO

I switched to blue bucket and so far I love it. Calc and Alk are perfect...mag is a little low but you can just bump it up.

Cencalfishguy56

I switched to blue bucket and so far I love it. Calc and Alk are perfect...mag is a little low but you can just bump it up.

Archived