inTank Media Baskets

If you could restart and had a fist full of cash?

music4life87

music4life87

So I have a dilemma on my hands here. I’m sitting here at my desk looking at a pile off stuff to start a new tank and I’m not sure what I want to do. What started off as a 10 gallon build has now turned into a 20 gallon build and I got everything I need to do this. All I need to do is add water and were off to the very slow races. However as of last night my summer vacation plans that I have been saving for all year have canceled. I’m not all that bummed out about the vacation thing but I’m not sure if I want to hold off on starting the 20 gallon tank and take that money and invest in a really nice set up. Already I'm looking at the JBJ 45 RL all in one tank and a Maxspect Razer 160w LED lighting, but I’m not sure what route I want to take and what equipment to buy since this had never really been an option in the past. I really want a set up that is going to last for years to come. I really like the look of the cube all in one tanks and I know from past experiences that I don’t want anything bigger than 50 gallon. I hated having a sump in my larger tank so I would prefer not to do that again. I want a nice, simple, clean, elegant looking system.

So here is my question to everyone. Based on your experience so far and knowing everything that you know now… If you could hit the reset button and had around $2,000 cash what would you buy? Tank, lights, skimmer, powerhead, heater???? And any pictures or links would really help so I can have visuals.

Thanks

Paul

If I didn't have anything and started from scratch, I would probably get the following for a nano:

I know you said you don't like sumps but I would get a Red Sea Reefer Tank (probably the 170 - 34G). It has everything except a light/ skimmer/ return pump.

http://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/reefer/

I would still get the Nanobox DUO.

http://nanoboxreef.com/duo.html

Return Pump would still be a DC return pump (maybe 6000) but I never test fit which model could fit in the Red Sea Sump.

Not sure which skimmer I would get. Probably Reef octopus or Vertex.

Jabeo Powerheads 2x RW-4s (possibly upgrading to MP10s)

http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-RW-4-Wavemaker-Contorller-130-1000/dp/B00MVI3BLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431621933&sr=8-1&keywords=jabeo+RW4

ATO is included in the Reefer Series but I might end up add on to it so its more than a gal or so.

I'd go to Oceans By Design in Renton and pick up their 30 gallon(MAYBE 40?) All In One with stand. They have 3 versions sitting in their shop right now. All starphire glass. BEAUTIFUL tanks and stands. Shoot Mike an email and ask for some pictures. Then grab a Radion or Kessil and go to town with rock and coral. Prices on them range from $1000-$1600 I believe. Might be less. It has been about a month since I saw them and I tried not to swoon too much.

Or a nanobox. I think you would need a Quad on these tanks though.

music4life87

I'd get an SCA 66 gallon starfire setup. $1000. Build up from there.

I was just looking at the SCA 50 gallon. I didn't really want a sump but that set up looks like a really good deal.

Cad Light Artisan 2015 50 gallon, bio pellets, Radion 30 pro wide angle lens

Fist full of cash and you would buy a Cadlights?
Weasel Baron

I would give reefing a big f-you and get into poison dart frogs or back into chameleons.

EpKZl.gif

This hobby is too expensive :lol:

12_egg_Omelette

Fist full of cash and you would buy a Cadlights?

I've been a student from 2002-finishing a phd, I've learned to live on a very limited budget haha.

I would give reefing a big f-you and get into poison dart frogs or back into chameleons.

EpKZl.gif

Death by a frog is what the news paper would read if I got into that hobby.

Honestly, I'd get an Apex and then build what ever reef I had and upgrade later. The automation has made this hobby soooooo much more enjoyable and vacations so much more worry free. All my tank sitter has to do is switch the ATO container every 3 days.

$2000 set up?

20L rimless, drilled and sumped

Gyre XF130

40B sump with baffles (only filled halfway with water)

Filter socks (a few so as to rotate them)

Nice Skimmer (no model in particular, as they change all the time)

Tunze ATO set up, 10g reservoir

Reactor for activated carbon

Heavy duty return pump

2x100W heaters (one as a back up)

Nanobox Quad w/ bluefish mini, hanging kit (screw the gooseneck!)

DIY custom stand, my own design

1/2" Tropic Eden reef flakes sand

18 lbs LR

RO/DI line

Rest would all be for livestock. I think it'd be a good set up with a $2000 budget

I've been a student from 2002-finishing a phd, I've learned to live on a very limited budget haha.

Death by a frog is what the news paper would read if I got into that hobby.

I was meaning if you had a fist full of cash buy a quality product instead of junk :).
SchnauzerFace

I'm just a few days away from getting my nano build wet, and I've been careful to choose the right equipment from the very beginning this time -- rimless display (ADA 60p), controllable full-spectrum lighting (XR15w), quiet return (Sicce sincra 1.5), unobtrusive overflow (X-aqua In/Out), attractive cabinet (custom), controllable powerhead (RW4), easy-to-clean reactor (BRS Nano), customized refugium (10g). And most importantly ... dry rock!!

One day I'll get an Apex :)

LebaneseDlight

I've restarted a 'budget' tank (after years) with careful research first. My IM Fusion 20 (tank, stand, nanobox duo, apex, tunze ato, 2x RW-4s, two part dosers, RODI, salt mix, dry rock, sand, some frags and a few fish) has cost me over $2K already. $2000 aint nothing!

I've restarted a 'budget' tank (after years) with careful research first. My IM Fusion 20 (tank, stand, nanobox duo, apex, tunze ato, 2x RW-4s, two part dosers, RODI, salt mix, dry rock, sand, some frags and a few fish) has cost me over $2K already. $2000 aint nothing!

And then have the corner blow out and you lose everything. Why spend so much and put it into a low quality tank?

LebaneseDlight

And then have the corner blow out and you lose everything. Why spend so much and put it into a low quality tank?

I haven't heard of many/any issues with the Fusion 20. But I went with the IM because of combination of looks and value (same with the RW-4s instead of the MP10s). It's always a balance - If I had an unlimited budget, I'd have something custom and built in to my wall.

As my post said, this is a budget tank and has cost over $2K.

I haven't heard of many/any issues with the Fusion 20. But I went with the IM because of combination of looks and value (same with the RW-4s instead of the MP10s). It's always a balance - If I had an unlimited budget, I'd have something custom and built in to my wall.

As my post said, this is a budget tank and has cost over $2K.

Hopefully the issues are fixed but I just heard about yet another Nuvo rupture last night.

That said I guess it could happen to anyone with any tank. I've just heard of it happening to IM tanks far more often.

music4life87

EpKZl.gif

I have a very stressful job. When I had my 75 gallon set up I would come home everyday, sit in front of the tank, feed the fish and zone out for a while. So getting back into this hobby means a lot to me.

And $2K is not my max. That's just what I have in hand. I brought up the option of a bigger tank in the wall and my wife shot that down before I could finish my sales pitch :( She said she does not want anything big. She said I got carried away the last time I had my 75 gallon set up. She told me 50 gallon max. She wants a simple, clean, modern look to it. Oh and it has to have an open top.

Right now I'm leaning towards a SC Aquariums 50 gallon cube

http://www.scaquariums.com/product-p/sca-50gpnp.htm

And the Maxspect R420 Razor 120w 16k http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25292

I think this would be a good combination plus I would still have some money left over for rock, sand and a decent RO/DI System. I think ill start the 10 gallon nano tank just for fun and put it in the bedroom as a night light. Then turn the 20 gallon and the stand I started building into an RO/DI water prep station in my laundry room. Then get this nice SCA 50g set up for my living room.

That is unless someone can talk me into something better with the same type of set up. :)

What are you thoughts on planet aquarium builds lawnman?

In Arlington Texas? Awesome quality tanks from what I have heard.

Hopefully the issues are fixed but I just heard about yet another Nuvo rupture last night.

That said I guess it could happen to anyone with any tank. I've just heard of it happening to IM tanks far more often.

From what I have heard you want to stay away from the IM tanks with the curved glass corners. The new fusions are doing okay doesn't seem to have the same issues since they went to a corner seam instead of the one piece of glass with curved corners.

a large Cube, maybe 80 gallons. Rimless. with floating canopy and matching stand and Sump with all the bells and whistles... oh and def an Apex

12_egg_Omelette

In Arlington Texas? Awesome quality tanks from what I have heard.

Yes sir. I'm debating on their 24 or 36 inch one for when I move.

nismo_sky32

AIO route, I would get a custom tank or 20 gallon from pico aquariums. Either a radion xr15 or nanobox duo to light it up. Sumped, I would get a red sea reefer nano with the same light options.

Archived