SaltCritters.com

Ich already!

Griff

Case of the Ich already!!!

So my two clowns have Ich i don't have a hospital tank what can I do in the short term before I get one setup?

I'm so frusrtrated I have this so early in the hobby. Tank has been up a few months and had no major issues till now.

PH 8.2. Ammonia 0-.25. Nitrites 0. Nitrates 5ppm

I'll post photos of the clowns tonight. Everyone else looks ok so far but I know it's coming. I have fresh water tank I'm going to breakdown and turn into a hospital tank but won't have time till the weekend.

With Ich, waiting until the weekend might be too late. You could even use a 5 gallon bucket as a hospital tank; but you could pickup 5 or 10 gallon tank at Walmart for pretty cheap.

I'm also concerned about the presence of ammonia.

The ammonia is likely 0 it's just hard to tell based on the color. I have 0 nitrates so that makes me think the ammonia is 0 which is why I put 0 a .25

Fish all ate well last night. None of them turn their nose up at food.

Why are you so surprised? No quarantine and you were thinking ich would take longer to arrive somehow?

Get a bucket a heater and an airstone and start treatment. Search for what to do. You can even do the Tank Transfer Method with buckets.

At least 72 days fallow for the DT.

Cencalfishguy56

The ammonia is likely 0 it's just hard to tell based on the color. I have 0 nitrates so that makes me think the ammonia is 0 which is why I put 0 a .25

Fish all ate well last night. None of them turn their nose up at food.

I don't have a hospital tank, typically I leave them at the LFS for a good week then if everything checks out I go pick them up

I don't have a hospital tank, typically I leave them at the LFS for a good week then if everything checks out I go pick them up

That makes no sense. A week is not long enough for a QT period and unless they have separate tanks for every fish at the LFS, leaving the fish there just exposes it to more problems.

You run the real risk of losing all your fish. A QT need not be expensive or elaborate--certainly proper QT would be preferable to the situation the OP is in now.

Cencalfishguy56

That makes no sense. A week is not long enough for a QT period and unless they have separate tanks for every fish at the LFS, leaving the fish there just exposes it to more problems.

You run the real risk of losing all your fish. A QT need not be expensive or elaborate--certainly proper QT would be preferable to the situation you are in now.

I've never had a problem, and the fish are typically stressed out anyways when they get there so they are bound to show some sign of disease, it's the risk I take, I don't have the space plus my LFS never has fish in his tanks with any kind of disease can't see I have encountered one

I've never had a problem, and the fish are typically stressed out anyways when they get there so they are bound to show some sign of disease, it's the risk I take, I don't have the space plus my LFS never has fish in his tanks with any kind of disease can't see I have encountered one

So why are you complaining or asking for help? You know the risk, you know ich is only visible in it's final stage before dropping off and starting the process all over again, and you know in smaller tanks it's much more difficult to control When it happens there's not much you can do except to feed heavily and hope the fish survive, or set up a hospital tank and transfer while the display remains fallow long enough for the ich to die off.

Cencalfishguy56

So why are you complaining or asking for help? You know the risk, you know ich is only visible in it's final stage before dropping off and starting the process all over again, and you know in smaller tanks it's much more difficult to control When it happens there's not much you can do except to feed heavily and hope the fish survive, or set up a hospital tank and transfer while the display remains fallow long enough for the ich to die off.

I understand that, it's a risk im taking, although the only thing I don't understand is the fact I was complaining or asking for help, I was stating my opinion lol

At this point let it ride, anything you do at this point will stress the fish more, and could seal their fate. I grow tired of the "oh my god fish have ich the world is going to explode" mantra. Fwiw without a reputable fish source, or verified qt pre purchase every fish you and I have ever owned has is it or will get it at some point. It's in you're tank and was introduced from a number of ways. You can try the sterile approach to reef keeping and have an unnatural ecosystem that never lasts because "sterile" is non existent. Or realize that most fish have the natural ability to withstand ich and once they get through it they will be fine. Thousands of articles on this and it is my opinion that ich isn't scary, and I don't realize what all the fuss is about. I try to buy healthy fish, but it's Russian roulette with everything and there are no guarantees. I've seen million dollar systems with the latest and greatest or dyi Craigslist deal of the century tanks that all suffer from the same problems. Don't beat yourself up monitor the fish (don't do anything to them) feed normally (garlic) is a feel good remedy for us and rest assured they will survive. All of this depends on you're level of husbandry skills and with the assumption that you're tank is cycled, stable, and appropriately set up. In my latest tank I've had one outbreak with no loss and the only thing I did was make sure all fish were eating and my invert population was up to snuff to deal with visible ich.

My first 40B got a bad case of Ich. At the time, I also read a number of threads where people left the fish in the display, and there were no losses; so I decided to go that route. Unfortunately, I lost the entire tank of fish. I'm not saying that your fish cannot fight it. However, losses are still a strong possibility.

Cencalfishguy56

My first 40B got a bad case of Ich. At the time, I also read a number of threads where people left the fish in the display, and there were no losses; so I decided to go that route. Unfortunately, I lost the entire tank of fish. I'm not saying that your fish cannot fight it. However, losses are still a strong possibility.

The first time I ever kept saltwater fish this happened only thing that survived was my purple firefish

I decided to leave my fish in the tank to ride it out. I put in a UV sterilizer and hoped for the best, big mistake.

It won't take long for it to wipe them out.

Yep, sometimes luck will prevail, most times not so much. Offering advice to feed heavy and wait it out is more likely than not to result in the death of the fish(es). That is a true statement, take it for what it is worth.

Not treating ich because it may be stressful has little merit for most fish (IMO). The TTM is not that stressful when done correctly.

At this point let it ride, anything you do at this point will stress the fish more, and could seal their fate. I grow tired of the "oh my god fish have ich the world is going to explode" mantra. Fwiw without a reputable fish source, or verified qt pre purchase every fish you and I have ever owned has is it or will get it at some point. It's in you're tank and was introduced from a number of ways. You can try the sterile approach to reef keeping and have an unnatural ecosystem that never lasts because "sterile" is non existent. Or realize that most fish have the natural ability to withstand ich and once they get through it they will be fine. Thousands of articles on this and it is my opinion that ich isn't scary, and I don't realize what all the fuss is about. I try to buy healthy fish, but it's Russian roulette with everything and there are no guarantees. I've seen million dollar systems with the latest and greatest or dyi Craigslist deal of the century tanks that all suffer from the same problems. Don't beat yourself up monitor the fish (don't do anything to them) feed normally (garlic) is a feel good remedy for us and rest assured they will survive. All of this depends on you're level of husbandry skills and with the assumption that you're tank is cycled, stable, and appropriately set up. In my latest tank I've had one outbreak with no loss and the only thing I did was make sure all fish were eating and my invert population was up to snuff to deal with visible ich.

Garlic has never been shown to cure or even help with Cryptocaryon irritans.

"Don't know what all the fuss is about, Rest assured they will survive"? Uh, huh. :blink:

Read my post I said garlic is a feel good remedy for humans.

I read every word: "feed normally (garlic) is a feel good remedy for us and rest assured they will survive." :huh:

In MY OPINION, this is terrible advice. There is no feed normally and wait it out when it comes to ich. Eventually is gonna catch up and wipe out fish. Just because you have had one outbreak with no loss doesn't mean this is the norm... The first ich outbreak I had, before I knew better, I tried to feed normally and wait it out, and I lost 6 fish... Why would anyone want to put new fish into a tank in which you knew ich existed?

I know there are people who don't believe in using a QT, to each their own. Everyone also says don't rush in this hobby...well if you are in such a rush to add fish to your display vs a few weeks in QT to ensure health, then maybe you need to rethink the hobby.

New life spectrum just took out an ICH pellet food. It stinks at lot! It's gots medication. I would use it.

Dr Gs makes medicated food in frozen cubes and liquid suspension medicated food also.

New life spectrum just took out an ICH pellet food. It stinks at lot! It's gots medication. I would use it.

Dr Gs makes medicated food in frozen cubes and liquid suspension medicated food also.

Hmm, I'm not sure of the efficacy of these types of food. Looks to be some sort of chloroquin compound. Not sure the fish could ingest enough, long enough for it to be effective.

Any data Kat?

Any of the pellets hit your corals and they are dead ducks.

Cencalfishguy56

Hmm, I'm not sure of the efficacy of these types of food. Looks to be some sort of chloroquin compound. Not sure the fish could ingest enough, long enough for it to be effective.

Any data Kat?

Any of the pellets hit your corals and they are dead ducks.

Yea I read about those pellets I have yet to hear of one fish who readily eats them lol from all the reviews I have read at least

Yea I read about those pellets I have yet to hear of one fish who readily eats them lol from all the reviews I have read at least

It's one of those things that if actually worked, we would all know about it and the stuff would be out of stock.

To my knowledge, they have not been proven to work. I have not hear even anecdotal accounts, but I have not looked for them.

Cencalfishguy56

It's one of those things that if actually worked, we would all know about it and the stuff would be out of stock.

To my knowledge, they have not been proven to work. I have not hear even anecdotal accounts, but I have not looked for them.

True, I have however heard of a reef safe medicine that has worked but it costs like 50 bucks or something like that

Archived