SaltCritters.com

AI Hydra Hanging & Coverage Opinions

callmesaul8889

callmesaul8889

Hey guys! I have a Fusion 30L and 1 Hydra52 attempting to cover the entire tank. I originally bought the light for a cube style tank, but when I ended up with a Fusion 30L, I decided to try to make it work instead of getting rid of it.

Now that I'm more settled, I'd like some opinions on how I should achieve better coverage without completely breaking the bank. I've been considering replacing the Hydra52 with 2 Hydras/Sols, or keeping the Hydra52 and adding two AI Nanos to the outsides of the tank to add some addition lighting.

I'm attaching an image of my current setup to get an idea of what I'm working with.

post-46713-0-29440800-1431543955_thumb.gif

callmesaul8889

You could also go with a pair of the AI primes

I've considered that as well. Someone is selling two AI Nanos in the classifieds right now, so that's why I mentioned them instead. I think I would get the hanging kit along with a rail and attach Prime - Hydra52 - Prime.

I would say just get another Hydra 52. Why not?

$549. That's why not. :) Wouldn't that be severe overkill for a tank that's only 12" deep? This would drive me crazy anyway because my Hydra52 is an upgrade unit from the OG Hydra. If I got another Hydra52, I'd have two slightly different lights over the same tank... that would probably drive me mad!

HarryPotter

$549. That's why not. :) Wouldn't that be severe overkill for a tank that's only 12" deep? This would drive me crazy anyway because my Hydra52 is an upgrade unit from the OG Hydra. If I got another Hydra52, I'd have two slightly different lights over the same tank... that would probably drive me mad!

Lol good point- a bit overkill (wattage and wallet).

I have an AI Nano w. new controller in the classifieds as well :P

Then again if you are nearly as CDO as I, you would need symmetry. Ugh

callmesaul8889

Lol good point- a bit overkill (wattage and wallet).

I have an AI Nano w. new controller in the classifieds as well :P

Then again if you are nearly as CDO as I, you would need symmetry. Ugh

Exactly. If I pick up a Hydra, the symmetry will be correct, but the intensity of the lights would be different. If I get another Hydra52, the intensities would match, but the heatsink on the Hydra52 is slimmer than mine. And if I get one AI Nano, I'll want another on the other side.

HarryPotter

If I get another Hydra52, the intensities would match, but the heatsink on the Hydra52 is slimmer than mine.

Explain- did the heatsinks change during the production of the Hydra 52? Perhaps you could find your version?

callmesaul8889

Explain- did the heatsinks change during the production of the Hydra 52? Perhaps you could find your version?

I purchased the original Hydra, and when the Hydra52 came out I purchased the upgrade kit that replaces the guts inside the Hydra heatsink. So I have a Hydra case and heatsink with the LEDs and optics from a Hydra52.

callmesaul8889

I think I'm liking the idea of replacing the Hydra52 with 2 Hydras or 2 Hydra26s. My only concern is that neither light produces more than 500par at max. Considering this is my first SPS tank, am I trying to blast these coral with too much light?

Would two Hydras over a Fusion 30L be limiting SPS coloration at all?

bdevillier19

What are the display area dimensions of the fusion 30?

Never mind, looked it up. At 36" wide 3 primes would cover the tank according to AI. So 2 hydras would be plenty. 3 hydras end to end would give you more even coverage than 2 primes though.

Oh and 500 par max should matter. You'll never use 500 in a tank that small.

I would trade or sell the 52 and go with with 2 hyrda 26's for better coverage. I decided to run my 120 with 5 hydra 26's over 3 hydra 52's because of coverage and self shading. The 26 are the same clusters, just half of them, but AI told me they can be run higher (not sure if they cool better) so 2 hydra 26s are more powerful than 1 52.

callmesaul8889

Oh and 500 par max should matter. You'll never use 500 in a tank that small.

Does this imply that smaller tanks don't need as much par to get similar results? Is that because smaller pieces of coral can't handle massive par values?

OOOOOOO

HYDRA--> HYDRA 52--> HYDRA

SYMMETRICAL PLUS EXTRA IN MIDDLE! HELL YEAH

B)

I would trade or sell the 52 and go with with 2 hyrda 26's for better coverage. I decided to run my 120 with 5 hydra 26's over 3 hydra 52's because of coverage and self shading. The 26 are the same clusters, just half of them, but AI told me they can be run higher (not sure if they cool better) so 2 hydra 26s are more powerful than 1 52.

This might be my favorite suggestion so far. The 26s will provide better coverage AND allow me to keep that extra power for when I need it. I think I'll post my 52 on the classified and be on the lookout for 2 26s. Thanks!

bdevillier19

From what I've read, most sps can handle 250-300 before hitting photo inhibition (I think that's what jedimasterben said) and in a small tank its much easier to hit higher par due to the shallower depth. My tank is 16" deep and I hit 150 on the sand bed and I only run at 50% on my lights without the t5s. So realistically you won't be running any where near 100%

IME with reefbreeders and now AI hydras my acros have responded best to 300-500 PAR from those lighting sources. ORA red planet for example at 250-300 had some nice green on it and at 400 turns all red. The best overall color and growth I have noticed is in that 300-400 range for me personally with lots of water flow to match.

Archived