Innovative Marine Aquariums

Electric Indigo & The Cinammon Clowns - IM Fusion 40 - #Duo +M!

charnelhouse

charnelhouse

Did some tank modifications over the weekend.

Purchased a Cad Lights PLS50 elite from a fellow N-R member. This freed up the overflow chamber that the 9004 was in for an InTank floss basket with Poly Filter and floss.

Also purchased an IM Fuge light (which is way bigger than I was picturing in my mind) and took my old, used up purigen out of the middle chamber of the media basket and am growing some chaeto in there now.

So chambers are now (L to R):

InTank floss basket Poly Filter/Floss

Heater

Return

Cad Lights PLS50 elite

InTank media basket floss/chaeto/Poly Filter

The PLS50 is pulling dark green/brown tea after less than 24 hours. It makes some micro bubbles, but only for a couple of hours after start up or feeding. I'm hoping they disappear eventually.

Water is much cleaner and clearer running floss at both overflows. I cleaned as much of the detritus out of the back chambers as I could.

I'm going to see if this set up keeps water quality in check. I might try CPE under the floss basket if it doesn't, but I think Poly Filter does a good job of pulling out organics. At least judging by what it looks like when I take it out.

Had to dispose of two torches and probably losing another one, but two are doing great, fully extended and waving in the flow.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit RAP up in OC this weekend, here's my haul. Frag rack and 9 asst zoa/paly frags $100:

2015-10-11%2010.19.35_zpsbijt9sjz.jpg

Mila got to meet some of the "Tanked" guys:

2015-10-10%2016.04.23-2_zpsp5esphs3.jpg

And she took some various pics. The full tank shot is some new "point spot" color changing LED's Fluval (I think) is putting out:

2015-10-10%2017.19.34_zpsstsqhjnd.jpg

2015-10-10%2015.37.26_zps6cwij8fd.jpg

What was the size of that clam in the top left?!?! That thing is HUGE.

The babies were probably 1.5-2" I'd say. I think the big one was a good 5-7".

Met a reefer friend at a LFS (AquaSD) on Friday and my long hunt for barnacle blennies (that I didn't have to order from LA and pay shipping for) has ended. And there was an added bonus of ASD having a 50% off fish sale ;)

I'm relatively certain what I got are two "eyebrow' or "reefsand" and one Panamic specimen. Scientific names are on page 1 of this thread. Quality Marine stocks both and I'm guessing that is where ASD shops for their fish.

Here are a few pics, I'll get some better ones of them in the barnacles later:

Still in the bag

2015-10-16%2013.35.28_zps5vhawch4.jpg

2015-10-16%2013.39.28_zpsrv5dfp3i.jpg

2015-10-16%2013.41.30_zpsr8hd7nxk.jpg

In the tank

2015-10-16%2014.02.45_zpsb41ka1t1.jpg

2015-10-16%2016.01.10_zpsaxos5hpy.jpg

2015-10-16%2016.20.35_zpsjxwt1pgh.jpg

They all seem to be doing well and are eating. They're really interesting to watch, with their heads poking out keeping an eye on everything going on around them. Stoked that I found them finally.

That's a cool pic of your barnacle blenny.

Thanks! I was pretty surprised it turned out that sharp with my phone. Turned the blues off, and his spot is pretty close to the front of the tank though...

LOVE these guys! I need to look into them. How many can you have together?

They are really interesting. I've read of people having as many as 7 together. They have a pecking order and squabble a little over holes, but it's never fatal from what I've read. I think I want to get a couple/few more A. hancocki but I am unsure at this point. One of the E. myersi isn't doing so hot, but that's because he stays in the open too much and my clowns are picking at him.

And it's not the one in the photo with the clown that is doing bad. They pay zero attention when they're in a hole.

Those blennys look a little evil with their little teeth and beet eyes

Haha.. it's funny, they do close up. But in person they look like cute little cartoon characters!

reefernanoman

Those blennys look a little evil with their little teeth and beet eyes

They are planning your doom when they are inside their barnacle. My Female MCF does it when she's in her RBTA.

• 1 month later...

I've been noticing symptoms, but kind of ignoring them in the hope I was imagining it, but I woke up today to three barnacle blennies with very obvious ich. The other fish aren't really looking infected, the citron goby has some minor signs, but I'm sure they have it too.

Waiting for Petco to open to go get a QT setup. I thought I was going to be the lucky one.... ugh.

That was fun. Just spent the last 5 hours tearing apart the tank. All the fish are in the QT now though. Salinity down to 1.019 today, will bring it down to 1.010 in the next few days. 8 week clock starts today.

since I had to tear most of the rock out to get the wrasse and goby out I left a couple of the bigger rocks that had no corals on them out. Going to take the opportunity to rescape.

Never again will I add fish without QT first.

So sorry to hear about the ich issue. Good luck! That's great that you're doing it right and treating the fish in QT. That's always such a hassle.

That was fun. Just spent the last 5 hours tearing apart the tank. All the fish are in the QT now though. Salinity down to 1.019 today, will bring it down to 1.010 in the next few days. 8 week clock starts today.

since I had to tear most of the rock out to get the wrasse and goby out I left a couple of the bigger rocks that had no corals on them out. Going to take the opportunity to rescape.

Never again will I add fish without QT first.

Dude, I feel your pain. I'm on day five of my QT/Hospital tank. Had to get my 2 wrasse, 2 grammas, and 1 starry blenny out. I really hope that in the future there is a reef safe solution that is 99.99 percent effective like copper, or hypo salinity. I am using cupramine.

I have changed my fish philosophy as well. I will always QT using copper in the future.

So sorry to hear about the ich issue. Good luck! That's great that you're doing it right and treating the fish in QT. That's always such a hassle.

It's really not a fun experience. Lost the citron goby yesterday :(. He seemed to be fine then next thing I know he was stuck to the hob filter siphon tube. My male clown is looking less than good. Not terrible, but definitely stressed. The wrasse is not happy. Hopefully no more deaths happen. Salinity is at 1.014 today. Final drop tomorrow.

Dude, I feel your pain. I'm on day five of my QT/Hospital tank. Had to get my 2 wrasse, 2 grammas, and 1 starry blenny out. I really hope that in the future there is a reef safe solution that is 99.99 percent effective like copper, or hypo salinity. I am using cupramine.

I have changed my fish philosophy as well. I will always QT using copper in the future.

Sorry to hear it man, this is by far my least favorite thing I've had to do with this tank. I've thought more than one that I might go fishless in the last couple days.

Do you have a little container with sand for the wrasse? I know it's counter productive. But I hear wrasse like sand

If you are talking about me, yes. My melanurus needs it to sleep in. My flasher couldn't give a crap about sand. He sleeps in a 45 degree PVC elbow.

righttirefire

I don't know anything about wrasse... I don't have one nor have I done research. Just bits and pieces I've picked up along the way

Do you have a little container with sand for the wrasse? I know it's counter productive. But I hear wrasse like sand

Flasher and Fairie wrasse are not sand sleepers. They sleep in a hole in a mucous cocoon they create around themselves. Mine's a flasher.

Small status update. The male clown seems to be doing better this morning, as does the wrasse. One more dilution will bring salinity down to 1.010. Doing that in a little while here. Not seeing white spots on any of the fish now either.

Archived