Pod Your Reef

Electric Indigo & The Cinammon Clowns - IM Fusion 40 - #Duo +M!

charnelhouse

Aww. I'm so sorry about the ich. Will you keep the tank fallow for three months?

Everything I've read says 8 weeks so that's what I was planning. It isn't 12 is it?!?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything I've read says 8 weeks so that's what I was planning. It isn't 12 is it?!?

Lots of people say 12. I personally think eight is sufficient.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/

The lifecycle of the parasite is interesting and important to understand when evaluating a treatment. The stage where the parasite is attached to a fish is called a trophont. The trophont will spend three to seven days (depending on temperature) feeding on the fish. After that, the trophont leaves the fish and becomes what is called a protomont. This protomont travels to the substrate and begins to crawl around for usually two to eight hours, but it could go for as long as eighteen hours after it leaves it's fish host. Once the protomont attaches to a surface, it begins to encyst and is now called a tomont. Division inside the cyst into hundreds of daughter parasites, called tomites, begins shortly thereafter. This noninfectious stage can last anywhere from three to twenty-eight days. During this extended period, the parasite cyst is lying in wait for a host. After this period, the tomites hatch and begin swimming around, looking for a fish host. At this point, they are called theronts, and they must find a host within twenty-four hours or die. They prefer to seek out the skin and gill tissue, then transform into trophonts, and begin the process all over again (Colorni & Burgess, 1997).

7+1+28+1=37 day life cycle (max per this particular article). 37 days = 5.29 weeks. I think it's safe to say 8 weeks is a good fallow period.

If anyone has different info, please chime in.

If anyone has different info, please chime in.

I have no different info, but better safe than sorry? I think I would go an extra week or two. But I'm also impatient. Good luck!

thecoralbeauty

There was a rather heated discussion on my thread about ich in the last 4ish pages. What I was dealing with apparently was not ich- as the spots have no re-appeared, but regardless, the information in that discussion might be interesting/helpful/informative for you. :)

I have no different info, but better safe than sorry? I think I would go an extra week or two. But I'm also impatient. Good luck!

It's not a matter of impatience for me, It's more a matter of getting 6 fish out of a ten gallon tank into more comfortable living conditions as quickly as safely possible. If the life cycle is 6 weeks then I'm already waiting an extra 2 just to be sure ;).

There was a rather heated discussion on my thread about ich in the last 4ish pages. What I was dealing with apparently was not ich- as the spots have no re-appeared, but regardless, the information in that discussion might be interesting/helpful/informative for you. :)

Thanks Morgan, I'll check it out. I saw some of it, but did not read in detail.

No real news, everybody is still alive and looking better. Feeding response seems improved in all of the fish. They all seem to have settled into the more cramped quarters and are figuring out how to stay out of each other's way.

Seven more weeks....

Sadly we lost the A. hancocki blenny yesterday. The infection and trauma of the move were too much. It never really started eating again and I came home to a corpse yesterday :tears: .

I am sorry. Have been following. Hope the rest do well.

Thanks, I appreciate it, the rest of them seem to be doing good. They're all eating normally. I had seen the hancocki eat a little so thought it was recovering, but it just never regained strength.

Rescaped today. Here's a crappy fts:

post-85523-0-23734600-1450573654_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping at some future point after the fish are back in I can use the front island rock to isolate an RBTA. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Some tank update info:

Almost through week 4 of QT/hyposalinity. The clowns, flasher wrasse and E. myersi are all doing well. They feed well and act and look normal. One bonus in this process is that the (wild caught) E. myersi are now taking NLS spectrum pellets along with everybody else.

The DT is doing fine. I remembered this morning that I had my (already underpowered) Current Orbit Marine at less than full power (80% blues/30% whites) and decided to up the levels to see if it helps my surviving softies grow. I went 100% blues 35% whites. Maybe I'll get some accelerated growth out of my zoas and palys.

I am most likely going to rehome the flasher wrasse to my friends 280 gallon after the ich treatment. I think it will be happier there than my tank, with far more room to swim. In replacement of the citron goby and A. hancocki that passed due to ick and the rehomed wrasse, I am pretty sure I want to try a pair of ORA Electric Indigo dottybacks. They would make the stock a pair of A. ocellaris, a pair of E. myersi and the dottybacks. I think that will be an interesting combo. the 40 should be enough room to keep them from getting crazy.

That's all for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I found one of the E. myersi dead in the hospital tank this morning. I do not have any idea why. He was fine yesterday and eating. I have some suspicion my female clown might have killed him. She has hounded this particular one since the first day I put him in my DT.

Sucks.

• 2 months later...
charnelhouse

Try as I might, I ended up not saving any of the fish from the first go round in this tank.

Back in the saddle though.

I purchased an electric indigo dottyback about 6 weeks ago. Had him holding in our 6 gallon for a while, but he's been in the 40 for a couple of weeks now:

20160313_121640_zps2wnlybzr.jpg

20160313_121644_zpsif4scgdj.jpg

Also put another GBTA in about a month ago which is doing well. It's a nice "acid rain" with purple tips. It's a bright fluorescent green under the blues.

After doing some reading I decided we would do a pair of cinnamon clowns to match up with the 'nem and be able to stand their ground with the dottyback. They went in the tank last night and the bigger one took right too the 'nem. The little one has been relegated to the powerhead for now, but hopefully they'll pair up eventually and he'll get to move in too.

Here "she" is (they're still babies, haven't even completely lost the back stripes yet):

20160313_121704_zpsex8zu2gn.jpg

And here's a pic of some of the corals that are still in the tank:

20160313_121711_zpsrqrpxvwf.jpg

There's also a new crappy FTS at #1.

• 2 weeks later...
charnelhouse

Added another GBTA on Tuesday so the smaller cinnamon clown can have a place to hide from the dottyback. He's getting harassed by both the bigger cinnamon and the DB. The second GBTA took a walk to the back of the tank yesterday but seems to be settling down in a spot now. Hard to see it where it is though.

That's all for now.

charnelhouse

Making one final addition then leaving this thing alone for a good long time to grow out. Couldn't pass this frag up for $15:

post-85523-0-25431700-1459204736_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Too bad you lost all your fish! I do like your new choice in the cinnamon clowns, they are so cute! I just saw a bunch at the LFS today on my lunch break. Tempted to trade my regular clowns in for them, but I wouldn't know how to explain that to my daughter. lol So cinnamon clowns are naturally attracted to BTAs?

Too bad you lost all your fish! I do like your new choice in the cinnamon clowns, they are so cute! I just saw a bunch at the LFS today on my lunch break. Tempted to trade my regular clowns in for them, but I wouldn't know how to explain that to my daughter. lol So cinnamon clowns are naturally attracted to BTAs?

Yes, in the wild A. melanopus is most commonly found in E. quadricolor. I really like my cinnamons, they are still doing great and have grown a lot. The tank isn't in the best shape though. I had a dino outbreak and lost the nems and hard corals. Softies are still struggling, but recovering. I have a great crop of GHA though.

This hobby is hard ><.

Yes, in the wild A. melanopus is most commonly found in E. quadricolor. I really like my cinnamons, they are still doing great and have grown a lot. The tank isn't in the best shape though. I had a dino outbreak and lost the nems and hard corals. Softies are still struggling, but recovering. I have a great crop of GHA though.

This hobby is hard ><.

Yeah this hobby is hard, but the rewards are worth it. All my friends and family don't understand why us reefers do all this work just to keep fish, or appreciate the beauty of corals. Hope your tank turns around, there are lots of methods to get rid of GHA, use them all! Good luck. My first tank succumbed to GHA, and now I do everything possible to keep phosphates/nitrates in check, even if the tank is pest free now, I try not to let maintenance slide.

Archived