Top Shelf Aquatics

Step by Step guide to curing dry rock?

LilCope

Hi Nano-Reef peeps!

I have read all over of the materials used for curing dry rock and I have decided to go with the muriatic acid route (and possibly Lanthanum chloride if recommended). However, there is a lot of conflicting information. What I would like to know is a detailed step by step process curing with muriatic acid. I'm looking to cure about 20lbs of BRS Pukani/ reef saver and not have any phosphate issues.

Much thanks,
Peter

HarryPotter

Put rock in acid. Wait. Wash rock. Put rocks in water with neutralizer. Wash. Cure rock in Salt Water and test until no more leaching, changing water as neccesary.

Thats what I did, and it was great.

CatfishSoupFTW

all that stuff just seems so scary and sketchy. lol if its dry rock - just chuck her in. Chances are its gonna leak something casually, but im sure it will be fine. I did that with about 40 pounds of dry rock, and fast forward a few months (3-4), its doing well, has coraline on it now, and goodies are growing on it. Water changed may do you just at the beginning, or you may not have any issues at all. But the idea of baths and what not just feels like you're putting in a dense sponge in there thats bound to hold in some acid.

if you do decide to do it, follow up ! or do a test. lol One with bath, one without.

-Harry: details would help me greatly.

-Did you dilute the acid when you put the rocks in? 9water :1acid ratio?
-For how long did you let the rocks sit? Noticeable acid erosion? comments on that?

HarryPotter

Details:

Rock was directly from my 300 gallon Cichlid Aquarium, so I used a 8:1 ratio in order to be SURE (Yes, I am paranoid) that all biological material would be removed.

I let the rocks sit until bubbles stopped, which if I recall was about half an hour. This was over a year ago, so double check that.

In terms of acid erosion, I found it to be noticeable yet QUITE nice. It gave the rock a much more natural look- opening interesting pores and shapes.

No real notice loss in volume, I did not consider that I "Lost" any rock but rather "Refurbished" it

HarryPotter

No problem! Try to take some pictures so you can make a "How-To" guide and help the next reefer(s) that comes along :)

Hi Nano-Reef peeps!

I have read all over of the materials used for curing dry rock and I have decided to go with the muriatic acid route (and possibly Lanthanum chloride if recommended). However, there is a lot of conflicting information. What I would like to know is a detailed step by step process curing with muriatic acid. I'm looking to cure about 20lbs of BRS Pukani/ reef saver and not have any phosphate issues.

Much thanks,

Peter

This is what I did with my first tank. I don't remember the mixture but the acid is pretty potent stuff. I used just the acid and water. If it's fizzing then it's working. It makes a nasty mess in the bucket. Just remember your safety gear. You don't want to breath the fumes or get it on your skin but you really don't want it in your eyes. I think I cooked it for about 30 minutes. Make absolutely sure wash it good afterwards. Don't want that in your final tank. I cooked mine in the acid then cured it to become live rock in plastic bins before putting it in my main.

Archived