Pod Your Reef

Identification (found at a beach in Rhode Island)

shawnd08

Thanks guys.

It's pretty cool, I guess the beach was filled with them. not sure if it's common for stuff like that to wash up on shore here in the northeast. First time I've seen it anyways.

Thanks guys.

It's pretty cool, I guess the beach was filled with them. not sure if it's common for stuff like that to wash up on shore here in the northeast. First time I've seen it anyways.

was it hard or soft?

My coworker said it was hard. My fist thought was an sps but I wasn't sure about corals in these cold waters. I looked into it further and found some points of the cost marked where sps have been found in the ocean.

Her question to me first thing Monday morning was "should i have brought it in for you" haha to funny.

My first guess would of been ground chuck!! It really does at first glance look like hamburger meat...

yes a sponge.look on any bulkhead with decent water flow and you will see tons of these and tunicates along with macros. towards the end of summer you will also have tons of fish that shouldnt be this far up north but followed a warm current all the way up. usually alot of butterflys and gobies, but plenty of other types also.

Archived