Coral Vue Hydros

Thinking of going T5 fixture on my new tank

tjwaggoner

tjwaggoner

Ok I've been wracking my brain trying to decide on lighting for my new build. 24"x20"x20" rimless. Mixed reef and I don't mind being somewhat restricted with sps placement but I do mean somewhat.

My question or at least my main question is what would work best? Something like the aquatic life 24" 4 bulb unit? I like the way it sits on legs (maybe others do that). I don't want to hang a light from my ceiling.

I just have to admit to myself that no matter how much I love the idea of LED that I see a well lit T5 tank and think "wow that looks nice" maybe that's just my personal preference but since it's my tank, well, you know.

Anybody care to chime in and discuss? Provide experiences? Anyone went from led to T5?

I've gone from LED to hybrid LED/T5. LED for intensity and penetration and T5 for color and wider spectrum. Doing it this way allows for less number of T5 tubes required to get same amount of light.

I run my LED on a 12 hour ramping schedule with my T5 only coming on for 6 hours a day during the midday burst. Also helps with keeping bulbs longer before I trash them.

tjwaggoner

The more I look at tanks lit with these set ups the more I like the idea. I have several ecoxotic panorama pro modules with their one touch controller that should be pretty simple to retro into a 4 bulb 24" t5 fixture. I could do a similar thing as you. Ramp the led up earlier and use it for moonlighting and have the t5 on their built in timer run fewer hours. Hmmm very interesting indeed.

The more I look at tanks lit with these set ups the more I like the idea. I have several ecoxotic panorama pro modules with their one touch controller that should be pretty simple to retro into a 4 bulb 24" t5 fixture. I could do a similar thing as you. Ramp the led up earlier and use it for moonlighting and have the t5 on their built in timer run fewer hours. Hmmm very interesting indeed.

Problem with that is that those panorama pro are basically ambient lights on most tanks and not actual coral sustaining lights. The kind of LED retrofit I am talking about are the kind that can grow even the most demanding coral by itself without the T5.

tjwaggoner

Well I've been keeping acros and growing montipora like weeds with them in my biocube for a few months now. These are the higher wattage modules, not the stunner strips that the same company makes. Which are more for color, and I also have one of those. They're not crazy powerful for sure but they aren't complete junk either. After using them for some time I think they will compliment some t5 tubes very well. I could of course be wrong but like I said they do ok for what they are and what they cost of course. Not saying there aren't much better options but I was thinking as something to compliment the t5 rather than acting as a totally independent light system

I guess what I mean is using them kind of in place of a dimmable t5 fixture. Ramp the led up slowly then have the t5 on during the peak time along with led at full power. Then when the t5 turns off the led could ramp down for a dusk effect. That was my thoughts anyway, kind of a homemade dimmable t5 fixture with a little extra oomph and shimmer as a bonus.

Problem with the aquatic life fixture is poor ventilation and mediocre reflectors. The ATI sunpower has great ventilation which will allow bulbs to last nearly a year, and the reflectors can put 150 PAR on my sandbed in my deep tank with the light hung 13 inches above dirty glass tops. :) You do get what you pay for when it comes to T5 fixtures. I know you don't want to hang a fixture but it gives you more options and the ATI units hold their value quite well. I would go with an ATI 24" X 8 fixture and supplement with some LED's to add the missing shimmer.

tjwaggoner

I love the ati fixtures but unfortunately I'm not considering them due to the hanging issue. I simply do not want a light hanging from my ceiling. Maybe if I could devise a slick wall mount to hang one from. Like a shelf.

I thought the reflectors were supposedly good in the aquatic life fixture?

I love the ati fixtures but unfortunately I'm not considering them due to the hanging issue. I simply do not want a light hanging from my ceiling. Maybe if I could devise a slick wall mount to hang one from. Like a shelf.

I thought the reflectors were supposedly good in the aquatic life fixture?

They are decent, but not in the same league as the ATI. Under the ATI you can literally see 3 bulbs for each bulb just about anywhere in the tank, which explains why they can be so darn bright. The aquaticlife are bent and don't cover as well. The biggest reason to get an ATI is the cooling. Air blows down on the bulbs cool spot and then runs the length of the bulb and out the side of the fixture. It's all about keeping the bulbs running at their ideal temperature in order to extend life and get the maximum PAR.

blasterman

Again, show me a spectral graph where tubes have a wider spectrum than LEDs.

The only advantage the tubes have is a hazmat warning when you break them.

Again, show me a spectral graph where tubes have a wider spectrum than LEDs.

The only advantage the tubes have is a hazmat warning when you break them.

Hi!

tjwaggoner

So what's the thoughts on a 4 bulb vs a 6 bulb for a 20" wide front to back tank? I'm leaning toward needing a 6 bulb fixture but the availability of fixtures that I like and have feet to set on the tank rather than hang is lacking from what I'm finding. Looks like a lot of places that sold them have closed up shop or moved to led maybe.

You'll want a 6 bulb minimum IMO.

Keep in mind one of the classic mistakes made by newer reefers is buying equipment and then regretting they didn't buy better. I've been there and done that. My solution for T5 over my 40 gallon was the AquaticLife 2 bulb expandable fixtures. Bought 3 of them and married them together. No fan, horrible heat issues, big regret.

Im using an Aquaticlife T5 4-24watt fixture with a built in timer w/ legs. Im using ATI bulbs in the unit though. I have a biocube so it is much more compact in regards to size. I had the same issue as you do about the ATI and hanging from the ceiling. I have semi vaulted ceiling so I didn't want to hang it. I found a good deal on the Aquaticlife website where they have reconditioned units and just went that route. Im liking it but everyone is different.

I used conduit for mt T5s, bought a pipe bender, bent it, screwed it to the stand, returned the pipe bender. lol.

Like Markalot said,a 6 or 8 bulb would work just fine. Take out the 2 middle bulbs and throw some clusters in there.

I personally went from leds to t5's and I'm happy with the switch. But I may grab some of Dave's led strips and take out a bulb,or just done some clusters. From my cruddy FNI T5 fixture I'm still getting 100+ par on the bottom of my tank,with ATI bulbs,which is surprsing to me.

Or you could do metal halide with t5 supplements !! I've got one if you wanna buy it :D lol.

bdevillier19

I used conduit for mt T5s, bought a pipe bender, bent it, screwed it to the stand, returned the pipe bender. lol.

Bought the pipe bender and returned it? That's just wrong!

I used the bender in the isle and put it back on the shelf. Lol. ?

I've used aquaticlife t5 units before. always performed well and I love the program settings, moonlights and the fact that it operated using one plug. still, what markalot said is true. ati, tek and catalina make far superior lights. but would you be able to really tell the difference on your tank? maybe, maybe not. and yes, go with the 6 bulb, you won't regret it.

tjwaggoner

I ordered the 6 bulb 24" fixture today actually. I too like that it has one plug and the built in timer. My plan is to use the bulbs it comes with up then when it's time to change, go with some better quality bulbs like the ati. I'm excited to get the new tank plumbed and ready to go.

I had the 4 bulb Aquaticlife fixture for a few months. While the features are great, single cord, programmable, tank mount legs.. My sps struggled under them, some were doing,... ok. Others browned from not enough light. Was using all ATI bulbs. Wish i had taken par readings when i had it.

Archived