Pod Your Reef

Shrinking Zoanthids.

Sunstar

I have some zoanthids that are seemingly getting smaller. Thinner. They have wide happy looking heads, but they just look smaller when closed.

Other zoas in the tank are a lot wider and happier. Suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
brandon429

If the connective tissue is receding leaving unconnected stalks that was always starving and or low light in my tanks. zo success imo is flow, feed diversity and light intensity low hydrodynamic profile all connected (colonial) good to go

I am thinking possible fungal issue. I have done some dipping and they seem 'cleaner' looking.

Flow is not an issue in this tank. Light is not really an issue either. I had to lower it a bit due to bleaching. feeding - none of my zoanthids appear to be interested in what I have to offer

I have been doing a furan-2 dip on three colonies.

I am thinking possible fungal issue. I have done some dipping and they seem 'cleaner' looking.

Flow is not an issue in this tank. Light is not really an issue either. I had to lower it a bit due to bleaching. feeding - none of my zoanthids appear to be interested in what I have to offer

I have been doing a furan-2 dip on three colonies.

NONE of your zoanthids appear to be interested in what you have to offer as food? What have you tried?

brandon429

Ive never seen them feed, its the planktonic diversity thats avail in the water, and some N and P as well

are you stripping p04 in this tank? if you have fish, their associations likely make enough food for the colonial zos but adding roids or any other fine micrometer feed covers that base. the oils from feeding mysis, cyclopeeze all count. they do ingest whole particles but they are very small, do you have a full tank shot so we can see other details that matter

I have attempted the juices of mooshed up mysis or brine shrimp. Microvert and zooplex. I do not have any method of removing phosphates other than nightly waterchanges. I do have a neon goby.

I turned the whites up a bit. Some stuff is a little sleepy looking as the lights just went on 10 minutes earlier.

IMG_20150520_122711_1.jpg

brandon429

Nice tank!

For sure it's not nutrients I agree. the dsb and fish show that, and, zos look great in that pic all nice fat low profile and connected. I can't even see any problems with them in that nice pic.

They did seem to improve after a furan-2 dip. The unhappy ones are on the rack for ease of access. I am not up to date with all the acronyms.. DSB?

Archived