SaltCritters.com

GSP takeover!

14biocubeGuy

14biocubeGuy

When i first started this hobby, I really dint know much about corals or the hobby in general. I went to my LFS and found GSP and thought, WOW that looks kinda cool, I want some. Little did i know, GSP spreads like wild fire. It is slowly taking over the right sight of my tank. Over the past few weeks, I have been reading threads on how to get rid of GSP. Scraping or peeling it off, Burning it off, putting salt on it, LASERS!!!

Needless to say, I can really take out my rock scape because there are only 3 main rocks, 2 of which the GSP has grown on. I can't scrape it off because the rock is too porous. I have even researched nudi's that like GSP but haven't found anything and don't want to take the risk of those same nudi's eating my other corals.

The last option, which i think I'm going to do, is to laser them off. I have literally no other option. I have been reading DIY laser threads and kits that are a bit expensive. From what i heard, the laser will burn the GSP so it won't grow back. The plan is to keep trimming it back with the laser until its gone or under control.

If you guys have any thoughts or opinions on how to trim or get rid of the GSP in my tank, i would appreciate it.

20150510_113157_zpsjbff3ino.jpg

By the way, lasers are very dangerous and you really would be safer and better off just pulling the rock out (even with all the hassle it would entail). If you have any fish or inverts, you run the real risk of blinding them. The laser end point is akin to a welding arc and will cause blindness. Not to mention a whole slew of other issues with high powered lasers. They can get away from you quickly.

Don't do it.

14biocubeGuy

how would i remove the rock? just put them in a bucket and scrape at it until the gSP comes off? i can't get under the matt. plus i don't want to destroy the acans, leather or montipora's. I'm really to scared to take it out of the tank

wrassegauche17

temporarily remove acan monti leather then go at it with a wire brush exacto knife peroxide. or replace rock

goodluck :)

Cencalfishguy56

Exacto knife, cut then put blade user and it will pop off relatively easy, then you can sell the frags haha

Under

14biocubeGuy

Thats the thing. 1. The rock is VERY porous. 2. I would have to take one whole rock out and cut it. That would take quite a while and I'm not sure how long my other corals can be out of water.

Murphs_Reef

When i first started this hobby, I really dint know much about corals or the hobby in general. I went to my LFS and found GSP and thought, WOW that looks kinda cool, I want some. Little did i know, GSP spreads like wild fire. It is slowly taking over the right sight of my tank. Over the past few weeks, I have been reading threads on how to get rid of GSP. Scraping or peeling it off, Burning it off, putting salt on it, LASERS!!!

Needless to say, I can really take out my rock scape because there are only 3 main rocks, 2 of which the GSP has grown on. I can't scrape it off because the rock is too porous. I have even researched nudi's that like GSP but haven't found anything and don't want to take the risk of those same nudi's eating my other corals.

The last option, which i think I'm going to do, is to laser them off. I have literally no other option. I have been reading DIY laser threads and kits that are a bit expensive. From what i heard, the laser will burn the GSP so it won't grow back. The plan is to keep trimming it back with the laser until its gone or under control.

If you guys have any thoughts or opinions on how to trim or get rid of the GSP in my tank, i would appreciate it.

20150510_113157_zpsjbff3ino.jpg

I think it looks awesome..

Take your time and do it a small amount at a time. Take the rock out, cut off what you can from a small area, Scrub it with a wire brush, then put super glue over it to seal off the remaining GSP. Then put the rock back in. When you have some time, repeat in another area.

music4life87

I realize this post was started because your GSP is taking over but I have to say. I really like your tank. I think It looks awesome with all that GSP. Sorry to get off topic.

wrassegauche17

my lobophyllia rock has gsp growing all over it so i took rock out placed on table, squirt peroxide on gsp areas, scrubbed gsp with wire brush, exacto knifed some areas, dipped rock in old tank water put rock back in tank. took all of 20 minutes and other corals on rock are fine.

gsp no like peroxide.

14biocubeGuy

i think I'm going to buy some rubbermaid bins and try the peroxide and wire brush. how long can Monti's acans and leather corals be out of the water? also will the feather dusters die? and will anything living in the rock die and cause an ammonia spike?

Ill take pics once i start.

As long as your quick you should be fine with regard to die off in the rock. Peal off what you want to keep like feather dusters and chuck them back in the tank. I have dusters popping up all over the place. Worst you'll do is slow them down.

As for corals out of water, a lot of people always seems to be spouting the same crap that they'll die instantly. Granted coral doesn't like to be out of water, but I had my lobo out for 15 minutes when I had to cut away some exposed skeleton (it was a bleached rescue), I dipped it in tank water every few minutes and it's fine. Also check out the 90% water change videos on utube and tell me you can't expose corals to air lol.

As already said you should be able to peal it of like a mat fairly quickly and easily once you get under it. Peroxide will upset most things so be careful not to splash anything you want to keep, but it should prevent grow back in the areas you have pealed/scrapped the GPS off.

Good luck.

FlowerMama

I like the contrast it provides against the leather so I like it but next time just glue some to the back wall. Or just have a separate rock not touching anything and let it grow on one rock, they're beautiful accents. I have one in my rock flower tank and am starting another on the other side. Once it spreads on a solitary rock it has no where to go so ti doesn't spread more.

Partially Submerged

Can you cut the rock so the GSP is isolated while still maintaining (almost) the same scape? All you need is half an inch on each side of the GSP.

wrassegauche17

my lobo rock was out of water for 20 min while i worked on it, got some peroxide on lobos as gsp was growing up on them.

it works. goodluck!

Why not just remove the rock that the gsp is growing on the get rid of it in trade to a LFS. You should be able to replace the rock at least with a trade.This way you're not killing the coral.There are a few corals that are like weeds. The xenia is another one.

you can always put the rocks with gsp in HCl....however the whole rock will be dead of everything else on it.

Put some hydrogen peroxide in a syringe. Then you can carefully control the amount and placement of the peroxide around the zoas.

Archived