Innovative Marine Aquariums

ReefCleaners Dry Rock- hands down the best in the Market!

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Ive compared Marcos rock, BRS Pukani & Reef Saver, and ReefCleaners rock to conclude that ReefCleaners is the best in the market.

Why?

Marcos rock is like putty, looks fake, and crumbles when one attempts to aquascape it.

BRS Pukakani & Reed Saver leach considerable phosphates, and are expensive for the volume.

ReefCleaners rock is unbelievable- it looks completely natural and does not leach ANY phosphates. In addition, when you consider the volume you get for the money, the lightness of the rock causes it to be cheaper to fill your tank and have a TON of room for bacteria.

No, I do not represent John nor did/does/will he discount the rock I bought/am buying/will buy. I am simply an avid fan who loves his company and customer support, and hope you go with Maloney :)

There are ~150lbs ReefCleaners rock in my 300 gallon Cichlid tank

IMG_0109_zpseeqlokbt.jpg

IMG_0111_zpswvi4wmzn.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

Hands down the most porous rock I have seen. It's like a fractal of holes--the closer you look, the more holes you see!

HarryPotter

Hands down the most porous rock I have seen. It's like a fractal of holes--the closer you look, the more holes you see!

Yep! Im hoping to go with more ReefCleaners on my upgrade- it'll be awesome! Maloney is so nice and cherry picks what you need

totally agree! i've only used dry rock once (with reef cleaners) and it is the absolute best decision i've made!

HarryPotter

I wish I was closer to Maloney at ReefCleaners! Im like a 1.5 hour drive away :(

I want to custom pick the dry rock and get a CUC w/o shipping. I'll make it a trip i guess next time I'm going to Ft. Lauderdale

(I have 100+ lbs ReefCleaners in a Cichlid tank, all ReefCleaners in the Nanocube, and want more for my JBJ RL-45 build!)

There is one problem with ReefCleaners rock:

Things disappear in all the holes! I have a brittle star and all I ever see are the tips of it's legs. I run BB and my narcissus snails all disappear into the rock and only come out when I feed. They are quick buggers when motivated!

I wish I was closer to Maloney at ReefCleaners! Im like a 1.5 hour drive away :(

I want to custom pick the dry rock and get a CUC w/o shipping. I'll make it a trip i guess next time I'm going to Ft. Lauderdale

(I have 100+ lbs ReefCleaners in a Cichlid tank, all ReefCleaners in the Nanocube, and want more for my JBJ RL-45 build!)

I drive to work 1.5 hours every day. I wish I was that close to RC! Yeah, boo-hoo, next time you have to schlep down to Ft. Lauderdale you can swing by. Some folks would consider that a vacation! ;)

Perspective is everything.

HarryPotter

Your brittle star is in the rocks? Wouldn't they be in there no matter what? I have a couple dozen in the rock and they stick out their middle *tentacles* at me too when I want by :lol:

Checked maps, its 2.2 hours away. Good point on perspective- I'm going to check their hours and see if I can do it some time next weekend :)

Hopefully theres some awesome friggin rocks- what do you think Mr. Maloney?

HarryPotter

My JBJ RL-45 arrived today and I finally splurged to get the RMS mount- looking sexy!

I have 30 pounds ReefCleaners dry rock shipping on Monday, a new Vortech MP40w Quiet Drive, and Vortech Battery-Back-Up!

The 30lbs new ReefCleaners rock will supplement the rock I already have, I will update on the AquaScape as soon as I can!

Mr. Maloney-

Any chance you will be selling sand any time soon? Dry or live :)

IMG_0467_zpsyjbucg6n.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

Grabbing reef cleaner rock! I want something that won't leach phosphates for months! Gonna put in my order next week hopefully!

Cencalfishguy56

Thanks for the kind words!

Just placed my order at 3 in the morning here in CA lol excited to start cycling this rock in a bucket!

Had some PayPal credit I forgot about

johnmaloney

Thanks everyone, hope you like the rock we send. You don't have to cycle it in a bucket unless you would like to.

Cencalfishguy56

Thanks everyone, hope you like the rock we send. You don't have to cycle it in a bucket unless you would like to.

Really? Is it seeded with denitrifying bacteria that become activated once in the tank? Nevermind stupid question since it's already cured

HarryPotter

Really? Is it seeded with denitrifying bacteria that become activated once in the tank? Nevermind stupid question since it's already cured

No, no bacteria. It is just 100% clean. At ReefCleaners they soak the rock FOR you, to the point that all leaching is done.

To get it to be "live" rock, you just need time. I have some beautiful pieces of his rock that have colored up wonderfully- covered in coralline and the occasional sponge. If you wish to speed up that process you can get a small piece of LR to speed up the process, but make sure the LR is SUPER pest free and healthy or the point of using dry rock may be lost

There will be no die off with the RC rock, so no need to do the nasty cycle in bucket thing where you have a bunch of dead organic matter to deal with. Just blast it off well with a garden hose then put it in tank and start your cycle.

HarryPotter

There will be no die off with the RC rock, so no need to do the nasty cycle in bucket thing where you have a bunch of dead organic matter to deal with. Just blast it off well with a garden hose then put it in tank and start your cycle.

During my upgrade, I am hoping to have an instant cycle by using live sand, old media, and live rock from my NanoCube. Do you think that even with the dry rock this is possible?

I'm torn whether I should just do this all at once, which will hopefully be perceived as a 40% water change, or I should slowly cycle again. Ugh

johnmaloney

During my upgrade, I am hoping to have an instant cycle by using live sand, old media, and live rock from my NanoCube. Do you think that even with the dry rock this is possible?

I'm torn whether I should just do this all at once, which will hopefully be perceived as a 40% water change, or I should slowly cycle again. Ugh

No it isn't unfortunately, the rock has no beneficial bacteria or any organics on it, it is not live at all. It can be added to a tank just like you would add a piece eggcrate or plastic without curing it, but it also wouldn't have filtration capacity either until it is colonized with bacteria. Rock that needs to be cured has organic material on it that has to be decomposed before it is safe to add to aquaria. The decomposing organics cause ammonia to climb. Because this rock has no organics on it, it does not need to be cured. "Cycled" is something else, and refers to the process of bacteria colonization of the rock. That has to be done still with our rock, but it can be done in tank provided you have the room to add them and are not removing the rock that is currently filtering the tank to do so.

There are three issues that may arise doing it in the tank.

1) If your pH is low, it may cause it rise to an acceptable level at an unacceptable rate. Adding a rock every few hours ensures this is not an issue.

2) Rock dust can cause some cloudiness and irritate inhabitants. You can hose this off. The hosing process is to remove rock dust, it has nothing to do with cycling and can be done with freshwater or compressed air. As the rock is transported or stored the pieces rub against each and create the rock dust from friction. It is inorganic.

3) New surface area in a tank is likely to colonized by faster growing life forms, in an established tank that usually means whatever algae you are currently dealing with, rather than coralline or some high end coral that you wish would gobble up the real estate. I know a guy in the algae business if that is an issue. :)

After that there isn't anything you have to worry about with this rock. It may or may not be the same case with other rocks even if dry. You have to check how they were prepared.

This ^ Just to tie it in with the above,

Cencalfishguy56

No it isn't unfortunately, the rock has no beneficial bacteria or any organics on it, it is not live at all. It can be added to a tank just like you would add a piece eggcrate or plastic without curing it, but it also wouldn't have filtration capacity either until it is colonized with bacteria. Rock that needs to be cured has organic material on it that has to be decomposed before it is safe to add to aquaria. The decomposing organics cause ammonia to climb. Because this rock has no organics on it, it does not need to be cured. "Cycled" is something else, and refers to the process of bacteria colonization of the rock. That has to be done still with our rock, but it can be done in tank provided you have the room to add them and are not removing the rock that is currently filtering the tank to do so.

There are three issues that may arise doing it in the tank.

1) If your pH is low, it may cause it rise to an acceptable level at an unacceptable rate. Adding a rock every few hours ensures this is not an issue.

2) Rock dust can cause some cloudiness and irritate inhabitants. You can hose this off. The hosing process is to remove rock dust, it has nothing to do with cycling and can be done with freshwater or compressed air. As the rock is transported or stored the pieces rub against each and create the rock dust from friction. It is inorganic.

3) New surface area in a tank is likely to colonized by faster growing life forms, in an established tank that usually means whatever algae you are currently dealing with, rather than coralline or some high end coral that you wish would gobble up the real estate. I know a guy in the algae business if that is an issue. :)

After that there isn't anything you have to worry about with this rock. It may or may not be the same case with other rocks even if dry. You have to check how they were prepared.

This ^ Just to tie it in with the above,

Yea I figured that! Thanks guys lol I was just gonna use the bucket to cycle my rock not cure it, I won't have the new tank for a couple of weeks so I want the rock ready for when it gets here, and the last dry rock I used from my LFS leached phosphates like CRAAAZZZZY! it's like rock now but got it in a separate bucket right now till I can clean it up and sell it, the pieces weren't really stackable, it was from over a year ago I just went crazy and bought rock without thinking lol but thanks again guys!

Live*

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is a few months old but ohwell. After dealing with Fiji rock being round and hideous, Marco rock leaching phosphates until I wanted to pull my hair out I think I am going to order some RC rock, I haven't heard a SINGLE negative review about. Just too bad John doesn't count his rock like his CUC, I think 10-15 lbs should be plenty for my 20x20x12.

I know this thread is a few months old but ohwell. After dealing with Fiji rock being round and hideous, Marco rock leaching phosphates until I wanted to pull my hair out I think I am going to order some RC rock, I haven't heard a SINGLE negative review about. Just too bad John doesn't count his rock like his CUC, I think 10-15 lbs should be plenty for my 20x20x12.

You won't be disappointed. Give it a dunk in RODI to get the dust off, and you're all set

• 1 month later...

Just ordered another 30lbs myself. The first 30 was great stuff and now doing a upgrade so more is needed. Rocks go together so nicely and look natural not like some other stuff out there that looks like a jumbled mess......

• 3 months later...

Fifteen pounds on the way for my new ArtFully Acrylic AIO-16. I never specified the tank dimensions in the order. Will I have an opportunity to do this when I get my human email?

Archived