SaltCritters.com

Effect of Using Well Water for Top-Offs.

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Hi NR members-

So in my tank I do minimal water changes and yet it is splurging, to the extent that I am almost making a return on my investment just in frags!

Yes, not conducting water changes is an odd and typically unsuccessful method, but I am curious if my tank is able to compensate from that from the well water.

I live in Miami, Florida, and the water column is characterized by limestone and high calcium. I have yet to conduct my own testing on the water and am planning on checking Mg, Ca, KH, NaCl (Salinity) levels today.

Do you think that topping off with well water (Directly) effects my aquarium? Could it be contributing to my coral growth that occurs despite a lack of water changes?

If we can, lets limit the commentary about the lack of water changes to a minimum and attempt to identify/ ponder/explain if and how the "Hard" well water is effecting my aquarium.

(PS: there is so much calcium that if you wet a black car with a hose, it will be white the next day from calcium buildup)

HarryPotter

But it does not effect nutrient export, correct?

I do dose kent A&B, but that alone does not explain the unbelievable growth rate to me. A Duncan grows a head every two days, my Zoas spread so fast I am a constant supplier to the LFS, etc.

Like I'm not complaining, but am curious what my Top Off water is doing to the tank. It is well maintained (blush) and VERY bright lighting (Radion XR30w Pro w. TIR lenses at 55%), yet the LFS and I are shocked at the sheer growth rate!

In the middle of my tank you can see a duncan that was a single-headed frag two weeks ago. Now it has, lets say 9 heads and they're BIG!

Im funding my new upgrade (To RL-45) with these Duncans and Zoas, its awesome. Im so curious if there is something weird in my well water contributing to this- if so I gotta try to commercialize this! :lol:

IMG_0414_zpshr0l2ive.jpg

It would not have an effect on nutrient export. Do you feed heavy? Do you have any fish in there? Might not be much to export (although it may be only a matter of time until it does become a problem).

Certainly your well water can be adding Ca and other minerals and trace elements the reef needs. Remember, every element on earth is in seawater at some percentage--some are important for reef tanks, some not so much, and others are bad. Again, you may have well water that is just right for your tank. Which would be just luck, BTW.

HarryPotter

It would not have an effect on nutrient export. Do you feed heavy? Do you have any fish in there? Might not be much to export (although it may be only a matter of time until it does become a problem).

I feed moderately heavy- there is a Gobie, a filefish, a yellow damsel, and 1.5" Scopa Tang (Will be returned shortly). A cube of Mysis every day, small pinch of pellets every day, and a garlic soaked algae sheet every three days.
The mysis goes mainly to the corals, and I feed half one day, half the corals the next.
True, if my well water is truly unique and assisting my aquarium there is an element of luck. Still, not all IMO

The area where you are at used to be a reef. The well water is being filtered through what is essentially live rock. The water is picking up dissolved reef rock, which is exactly what the tank needs. But there isn't much nutrient export going on here, and that is going to become a problem.

HarryPotter

The area where you are at used to be a reef. The well water is being filtered through what is essentially live rock. The water is picking up dissolved reef rock, which is exactly what the tank needs. But there isn't much nutrient export going on here, and that is going to become a problem.

At what point? The tank has been running for 2 years, and is as healthy as ever. I only recently bought a skimmer- before that no export whatsoever.

I mix up all of my sand, brush the rocks, have Chaeto, change floss, etc. That can't be enough to self-sustain?

Nutrient export wise I think you are fine with the cleaning method you mentioned. I'm curious to see the test results. Do you make water change water with the well water or RO/DI?

HarryPotter

Nutrient export wise I think you are fine with the cleaning method you mentioned. I'm curious to see the test results. Do you make water change water with the well water or RO/DI?

I don't follow- I don't do water changes anymore. I top off with well water
You want to see the Mg/Ca/Kh details of the well water or the actual aquarium?

At what point? The tank has been running for 2 years, and is as healthy as ever. I only recently bought a skimmer- before that no export whatsoever.

I mix up all of my sand, brush the rocks, have Chaeto, change floss, etc. That can't be enough to self-sustain?

For a while, yes. It all depends on what is in the water, what is building up, etc. Different corals can tolerate different parameters, some are quite resilient while others might freak out and die if they touch your water. That's why people want you to test your current tank water to see where you are at.

Just a note though. The problem with using any method you don't have control over is the inconvenient fact that in life, everything is just fine right up until it isn't. :) If the well water would become contaminated, for example, it could spell doom for the tank.

It would be interesting for you to test both tank water and a fresh cup of tank water to compare the parameters. Maybe your well water is high in calcium ... I'm not sure how that might effect Alkalinity.

HarryPotter

Just tested the well water twice.

The scale is beyond testable with reef testing kits!

Well water:

Ca: <290 ppm

Mg: <760 ppm

Kh: 14+ dkh

Double checked with two test kits! I will now test the tank water.

Edit:

Misread titrant- fixed scale

Just tested the well water twice.

The scale is beyond testable with reef testing kits!

Well water:

Ca: 500+

Mg: 1600+

Kh: 14+ dkh

Double checked with two test kits! I will now test the tank water

Well that explains everything, unless the kits aren't valid for freshwater. :)

Here's a good page.

http://www.water-research.net/index.php/water-treatment/tools/hard-water-hardness

Very hard water.

HarryPotter

Sorry I screwed up the testing. See above.

Dang I'm going to redo them. I used a new Red Sea pro test kit and think I made experimental error.

Sorry I screwed up the testing. See above.

Dang I'm going to redo them. I used a new Red Sea pro test kit and think I made experimental error.

Yea, the red sea mg test is crap. Drop, shake, drop, shake. I like all the Salifert tests better, but I use the Red Sea bottle holders.

High KH water still explains the success as many corals can survive on lower calcium levels.

HarryPotter

Okay I officially HATE Red Sea test kits. They are impossible! Takes 5 minutes per test, the colors keep on changing after the test, etc.

My KH is 7.7, the Ca is 360, and the Mg is IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND. Growl.

I'm going to buy salifert test kits and get back to you.

I'm so aggravated! Ahaghagah

HarryPotter

I can't get a NEARLY similar reading twice. What the heck.

I hate this titration thing. Impossible! 5 minutes after the test the titrant turns back to the original color! Growl.

Never again...

Archived