inTank Media Baskets

maxima, crocea, or both?

Fishy41212

Fishy41212

I have a 30 gallon tank with 250 watt halides 1 foot above the water. Will this keep maximas or croceas? They are 20k lamps.

jedimasterben

I have a 30 gallon tank with 250 watt halides 1 foot above the water. Will this keep maximas or croceas? They are 20k lamps.

is that supposed to be plural? :o

Fishy41212

Yes it is plural, especially since we are talking 20k. I would never try that with 10k. With the lamps a foot above the water I get no heat in the tank. I have red mushrooms and a trumpet coral happily splitting away on the sand bed atm. As for inverrts I have a peppermint shrimp and two hermit crabs. Going to add more CUC and i will be several months before this tank is clam ready but I want to know from now so I am prepared.

Yes it is plural, especially since we are talking 20k. I would never try that with 10k. With the lamps a foot above the water I get no heat in the tank. I have red mushrooms and a trumpet coral happily splitting away on the sand bed atm. As for inverrts I have a peppermint shrimp and two hermit crabs. Going to add more CUC and i will be several months before this tank is clam ready but I want to know from now so I am prepared.

you could easily do both, the maxima would be best on the sand and the crocea would be best on rock. youll also have to make sure you has some nutrients for the clams health

Fishy41212

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure since we are talking 20k. I also intend to keep some sps in this tank. I really want some Goniastrea and Platygyra and a few other relatively shallow water corals also so this lighting will be put to work. I also don't like the look of just one light over a 36 inch tank. At some point it is conceivable that I will upgrade this tank but I really like it so far and have plenty of room for more reefage in there. :D

HarryPotter

you could easily do both, the maxima would be best on the sand and the crocea would be best on rock. youll also have to make sure you has some nutrients for the clams health

Wow Wow Wow lets slow down a bit! Don't just give the "Okay" from knowing lights and a few softies :lol:

I disagree that just because mushrooms and trumpet are doing well the tank is stable enough for a clam!

How old is the tank? What are the parameters?

Do you have a picture?

What is your Alk? I doubt you dose or test much because you just have those corals, but once you get your clams you NEED to dose. They suck up Ca and Mg CONSTANTLY!

Sorry to put a damper on things :(

I have 4 clams, I had one at less than 2 inches for over a year in a pico with no testing no dosing amd hardly any water changes. The age of the tank is less important because you can have success early if you know that your swings are with in the preference of the clam. I only recently startes to test and dose and had two clams at the time, my derasa doubled in size over the span of 6 months. Again, before all my testing amd dosing. And you didnt damper it, this is what forums are for.

Fishy41212

This tank has a good several months before a clam will be in it. I was just making sure the lighting wil be ok for when the time comes.

HarryPotter

I have 4 clams, I had one at less than 2 inches for over a year in a pico with no testing no dosing amd hardly any water changes. The age of the tank is less important because you can have success early if you know that your swings are with in the preference of the clam. I only recently startes to test and dose and had two clams at the time, my derasa doubled in size over the span of 6 months. Again, before all my testing amd dosing. And you didnt damper it, this is what forums are for.

I have a single Ultra-Maxima, and it forced me to dose because the SPS were furious (Calling me names) that there wasn't enough calcium.

Right, a day old tank in theory can support a Clam- I'm just saying that it should be established that there is not 40ppm nitrate or 150ppm Ca before the OP invests :)

My current (and first) clam resides in my 28g NanoCube and loves it. I traded 10 duncan frags for the 3" beauty, and hope that eventually it will be the centerpiece of the tank.

Question- how does one remove GHA from its shell? Its just a bit, but I would like to keep it nice and white if possible

I have a single Ultra-Maxima, and it forced me to dose because the SPS were furious (Calling me names) that there wasn't enough calcium.

Right, a day old tank in theory can support a Clam- I'm just saying that it should be established that there is not 40ppm nitrate or 150ppm Ca before the OP invests :)

My current (and first) clam resides in my 28g NanoCube and loves it. I traded 10 duncan frags for the 3" beauty, and hope that eventually it will be the centerpiece of the tank.

Question- how does one remove GHA from its shell? Its just a bit, but I would like to keep it nice and white if possible

even if the op uses the salt you can get from any pet store there will be pretty sufficiant calc for most coral and inverts, sps are calc hogs haha, you wont be able to keep the shell white, my oldest clam has a nice yellow sponge growing on it, or you can put zoas or star polyps on the shell

HarryPotter

You obviously have more experience with clams than I- what do you think? Sadly its an Iphone Macro (AKA blurry mess), but hopefully I can borrow my sisters t3i later.

IMG_0417_zpswnmrir9b.jpg

You obviously have more experience with clams than I- what do you think? Sadly its an Iphone Macro (AKA blurry mess), but hopefully I can borrow my sisters t3i later.

IMG_0417_zpswnmrir9b.jpg

nice looking clam, you said you have hair algae, is it a whole tank issue?

HarryPotter

over the last week the hair algae has arrived.

I'm pretty sure that it is because of no skimmer, heavy daily coral feeding, old carbon, and old GFO.

Sucks, (ugly), but hopefully this weekend I can dedicate some time to maintenance.

This is the tank now- two minutes ago

CC9952FE-D389-4B8D-9EA8-940D5512478E_zps

I personally love skimmers, I highly recommend one, I also dont run carbon or gfo, my filteration is a fuge, BP reactor, skimmer and filter socked

HarryPotter

I personally love skimmers, I highly recommend one, I also dont run carbon or gfo, my filteration is a fuge, BP reactor, skimmer and filter socked

Im completely redoing the filtration when I upgrade to the RL-45 this month. Its going to be beastly- Super Reef Octopus skimmer, BRS deluxe reactor, filter sock, macro refugium, etc. Really excited to have the chance of having a blank slate to work with- after all, the NanoCube is my first reef aquarium!

Im completely redoing the filtration when I upgrade to the RL-45 this month. Its going to be beastly- Super Reef Octopus skimmer, BRS deluxe reactor, filter sock, macro refugium, etc. Really excited to have the chance of having a blank slate to work with- after all, the NanoCube is my first reef aquarium!

check out avast marine products, they have stuff you can build yourself, its alot of fun, plus might save some money,

HarryPotter

check out avast marine products, they have stuff you can build yourself, its alot of fun, plus might save some money,

Looking at their "DIY" skimmer, am definitely interested. I love hands on work, but need to be convinced that the performance of the CS1 compares to the SRO. The pump is also not included :(

Looking at their "DIY" skimmer, am definitely interested. I love hands on work, but need to be convinced that the performance of the CS1 compares to the SRO. The pump is also not included :(

yea thats the kicker, but you can get the pump its like 300 something dollars with the pump, their media reactor was fun to build

HarryPotter

yea thats the kicker, but you can get the pump its like 300 something dollars with the pump, their media reactor was fun to build

I think that for $300 I can get a pretty nice SRO skimmer, and have a great warranty and assurances that I can't screw it up.

The media reactor looks cool as well, but the BRS reactors are MUCH cheaper and work the same! I like the idea of working with acrylic though, and will try to incorporate some of that :)

Archived