ReefCleaners.org

water changing

Lellynelly

Lellynelly

Just wondering how often people change water, and what % of water each time. Does the frequency depend on what equipment you have?

I have a 60 litre tank with one external filter containing live rock and one internal foam filter. no coral or invertebrates - just 2 clown fish

Once my tanks were well seasoned I was OK with 10% weekly water changes.

After cycled and before seasoned I'd do 10% every other day.

My past tanks have been 10g, 20g, and 29 gallon Seahorse or Pipefish tanks.

I change 5 gallons out of my 40 every 3 weeks and everyone seems OK with that.

Changing water is like getting new socks,just feels good.

Weekly 10 to 15% changes is waht I do. My only filtration on the JBJ 28 gal model is Purigen, Chemipure Elite and activated carbon replaced monthly. I mostly Zoas, two fish, snails, hermits, a favia, piporgan, GSP and clove polyp. The tank has been running this way for four days shy of a year. Picture is FTS a month ago.

Forgot picture :(

Also depends on your bio load. I'm running a fairly heavy load on my tank and do 15% once a week. A few weeks ago I noticed a ring bit of hair algae popping up so I've been doing two 15% changes a week since then just to squash out the problem. But a small load that is skimmed well could manage great with fewer changes.

Also depends on your bio load. I'm running a fairly heavy load on my tank and do 15% once a week. A few weeks ago I noticed a ring bit of hair algae popping up so I've been doing two 15% changes a week since then just to squash out the problem. But a small load that is skimmed well could manage great with fewer changes.

This is true.

aviator300

I may not need to do this much but on my 13.3 gal tank which holds 10gal water (after sand and rock were put in), but i do a 2.5 gal water change weekly (every week). That's a 25% water change that i got used to doing during a hair algae problem and i've just kept it up ever since.

Archived