Top Shelf Aquatics

My 20 Long Journey

Mom2many

Wow awesome tank!

Love the ponci'! If more spawn feel free to send some to me :)

Yeah VIP Reef has a RFA disaster- it was terrible :(

Thank you so much! I have been having a lot of fun with this tank and working hard in it to get it to where I would like it to be.

I love Poccillaporas and my green one is so bright and beautiful. It did spawn and as the lights go out at night I can see several tiny babies glowing on my rock work. 7 at my last count of ones I have found!

This is the third time I have tried to write this. Our internet is spotty and going in and out over the last few days so checking in and posting has been hard to do. I am terrible with electronics so cant figure out how to post from my phone.

I recieved my KP Aquatics order yesterday. I was so excited as I had heard such good things about them. It was very well packed and everything arrived in great condition.

I ordered two rock flower anemones...a white and an orange. The white one has cozied up with my originial green one.

post-87944-0-90316100-1435196727_thumb.jpg

They also sent me a free little green one with white stripes. The orange one and green one have decided to hang out together.

post-87944-0-01075900-1435196861_thumb.jpg

I also ordered a nano sized pin cushion urchin. They must have been out of that size as they sent me a small which is a lot bigger than I expected. Pretty big for my tank size. I love his deep purple color and will see how he does in my system. If he is really to big I will gift him to my friend who has a much bigger tank. I really like him though so I hope he works out.

post-87944-0-51383900-1435197075_thumb.jpg

I ordered a purple sea plume

post-87944-0-87031000-1435197338_thumb.jpg

a spiny orange (backround) and a yellow feather (foreground). I did not order the basket sea star that came on the yellow one. He was just on it when it arrived.

post-87944-0-37168000-1435197557_thumb.jpgpost-87944-0-37168000-1435197557_thumb.jpg

I also orderd three sexy shrimp and they sent four.

post-87944-0-88529000-1435197804_thumb.jpg

The last thing in my order was a small red feather duster rock. It is very pretty and all the little dusters came out right away.

I had fun deciding where to put everyone and moving things around till they liked it and I liked it. The tank is always a work in progress.

• Like 3

Here is my most recent full tank shot.

post-87944-0-13417900-1435198562_thumb.jpg

A view from the end that is seen from my living room.

post-87944-0-64510400-1435198663_thumb.jpg

Left Island

post-87944-0-31660200-1435198731_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I really like my purple urchin. I wish he were a bit smaller but so far not to many issues with his size. Except for the fact, he not only picks ups small rocks and some snails to camoflage himself...

post-87944-0-37255500-1435773924_thumb.jpg

Not to big of a deal...

But also my one good sized rock of zoa's that was not glued down.

post-87944-0-57347700-1435773993_thumb.jpg

I rescued them and put them back where they go.

post-87944-0-75165200-1435774141_thumb.jpg

I guess I will be gluing them down next time I clean the tank.

• Like 1

The purple urchin is going to have to go. :( I had ordered a nano sized one, in a recent online order and was given a size small that is much larger than I was wanting. I was going to let the small one grow and when it got to big for my system rehome it. This one is at least three inches. I love his color and will miss him. I dont mind him eating off the rocks and making them white at all. It is that he is trying to go inbetween my corals and accidently breaking tips off all the birdsnest that are very fragile. sigh.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

awe. i love how they wear things as hats- mine picks up snails too. i don't think the snails are amused by this, but i personally find it hilarious. I have a blue tuxedo urchin, and from what I've seen they tend to stay small. also they don't have a lot of the hard spikes so mine never breaks anything, just re-arranges stuff. it's definitely not the pretty bright purple, but i like royal blue in my tank since it's so hard to find corals that color. just a thought!

• Like 1

I could really use an urchin right now but don't want to deal with it rearranging my corals :). Your tank looks fabulous! I love your new gorgonians...been thinking about ordering a yellow one from KPA but I'd need to get more than that to make it worthwhile and not sure what else I would need.

That's so awesome that your coral is spawning. It will be cool to see those babies grow!

• Like 1

awe. i love how they wear things as hats- mine picks up snails too. i don't think the snails are amused by this, but i personally find it hilarious. I have a blue tuxedo urchin, and from what I've seen they tend to stay small. also they don't have a lot of the hard spikes so mine never breaks anything, just re-arranges stuff. it's definitely not the pretty bright purple, but i like royal blue in my tank since it's so hard to find corals that color. just a thought!

He left yesterday to go and live in a friends tank. :( I miss him already. I will try to find one like you have in a very small size as I really did enjoy him.

I could really use an urchin right now but don't want to deal with it rearranging my corals :). Your tank looks fabulous! I love your new gorgonians...been thinking about ordering a yellow one from KPA but I'd need to get more than that to make it worthwhile and not sure what else I would need.

That's so awesome that your coral is spawning. It will be cool to see those babies grow!

I miss the urchin very much already and am going to try to find one like Morgans. As small as I can purchase one. The one I had was very beautiful and had hard spikes all over it. It really did do alot of damage to all the tips of my birdsnest corals as they are very frigile on the tips as they grow. I carefully mounted all the broken pieces and gave them to a friend to grow out for her tank. It was amazing the size of stuff that purple urchin could carry. He also broke off my small purple gorgonia and was carrying around. I took it away and put him in time out and reglued it back down but it still has not opened back up yet.

Thank you for the compliments on my tank. I enjoy it so much. I only have one person in my life that I can physically talk reef talk to, so this forum has been a happy place for me. I really like my yellow gorgonian and it seems very hardy so far. The polyps are less fuzzy and more spiny. A nice addition to my tank. The orange one seems to be hardy as well. But the purple plume has some areas that tissue is receeding. I am going to trim all of that away tomorrow when I do my water change. I take a turkey baster to them about every other day to keep them clean and free of coral snot and such. :)

It was the large green poccillapora that spawned. I have counted seven babies so far and they are growing very fast. Two of them are about pea sized and the rest about half that size.

I really love your tank by the way. One of my favorites on here!

• Like 1

I clean the tank every Sunday while my husband makes breakfast for the children and they eat together. Here is what my tank currently looks like.

post-87944-0-14462100-1436110232_thumb.jpg

I have run out of room for adding much more...so moved a few corals out and replaced them with others I wanted more. Like my orange digi with an ORA Bird of Paridise frag I had found and been wanting. I also had to move a few frags because of wandering Rock Flower Anemones. They stay put and happy and then my pistol shrimp will decide to do some excavation right by their foot and they will move and start to sting something. They stay pretty low on my rock work so cleared pretty much everything for them to move around down there and not hurt anything. I can not move my ricordia so they will have to just tough it out.

I also trimmed back some recieding tissue from the Purple Plume. I moved my power head slightly to give it more flow, thinking that might be the problem, as all my other ones seem to be doing well.

The little hitchhicker sea basket sea star moves about every night to a differnt Gorg. This morning he was on the little dark purple sea whip in the front. I did some research on them and feel badly for him, as I guess they dont do well long term in captivity.

I am finally not worried about my dendros anymore. I can just spot feed them two or three times a week and they are eating and have good puffy tissue all around thier skelotons now. So I hope we are out of the woods with them now.

My yellow watchman goby. My children wonder why he is so unhappy all the time with that big frown on his face. I try to tell them he is a very happy little goby.

post-87944-0-30544400-1436110843_thumb.jpg

Everyone here seems to spend a lot of time infront of the tank enjoying it. Even our youngest.

post-87944-0-68209300-1436111522_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I miss the urchin very much already and am going to try to find one like Morgans. As small as I can purchase one. The one I had was very beautiful and had hard spikes all over it. It really did do alot of damage to all the tips of my birdsnest corals as they are very frigile on the tips as they grow. I carefully mounted all the broken pieces and gave them to a friend to grow out for her tank. It was amazing the size of stuff that purple urchin could carry. He also broke off my small purple gorgonia and was carrying around. I took it away and put him in time out and reglued it back down but it still has not opened back up yet.

Thank you for the compliments on my tank. I enjoy it so much. I only have one person in my life that I can physically talk reef talk to, so this forum has been a happy place for me. I really like my yellow gorgonian and it seems very hardy so far. The polyps are less fuzzy and more spiny. A nice addition to my tank. The orange one seems to be hardy as well. But the purple plume has some areas that tissue is receeding. I am going to trim all of that away tomorrow when I do my water change. I take a turkey baster to them about every other day to keep them clean and free of coral snot and such. :)

It was the large green poccillapora that spawned. I have counted seven babies so far and they are growing very fast. Two of them are about pea sized and the rest about half that size.

I really love your tank by the way. One of my favorites on here!

Well thank you! Yours is one of my favorites too! I think you've scaped it and stocked it perfectly :).
  • Like 1

Sweet tank I setup a 20l at my office with the same light and it still shocks me what it can grow I have a range of sps up high and they all do well anyway nice tank keep up the good work

• Like 1

Sweet tank I setup a 20l at my office with the same light and it still shocks me what it can grow I have a range of sps up high and they all do well anyway nice tank keep up the good work

Thank you so very much! I have been very happy with my lights as well. I had read so many reviews saying that they would not grow much but got them anyways because I was trying to stick to a budget and I knew my tank was going to be so shallow. I have been very suprised how nice they are. They have went above and beyond my expectations for what I wished to grow under them. Some things I have even had to move down because they have bleached.

Would love to see your tank! And thanks for the encouragment!

• Like 1

Here is one of my little porcelain crabs cleaning my sand bed of diatoms. I have three of them and they are always out in the open, either waving thier litttle filter fans in the water collum to eat or cleaning the sand. So cute and facinating to watch.

https://youtu.be/ChwZxf-JzIc

• Like 2

Here is one of my little porcelain crabs cleaning my sand bed of diatoms. I have three of them and they are always out in the open, either waving thier litttle filter fans in the water collum to eat or cleaning the sand. So cute and facinating to watch.

https://youtu.be/ChwZxf-JzIc

Cute video! Didn't know they ate diatoms....that's convenient :).

• Like 2

I have been having issues with my two newest purchased rock flower anemones.

The ones I bought in the past were larger than these. I had bought two very large ones that had been hanging around at my LFS. The owner said he was going to florida to hand pick some extra special ones and would call me when he got back. He called and I went and they were all much smaller than I had thought they would be. About the size of a fifty cent piece. They all looked inflated and healthy so I picked to zebras. One with a Yellow skirt and one with a green one.

I have had them over a week and one just attached yesterday but has faded alot since I got them. It is the zebra with a yellow skirt. I have not gotten either to eat.

Here is the Yellow that finally attached. It picked a very shaded spot in the back of my rock work but at least it has attached. His mouth is not gapping any more and he is looking a little better.

post-87944-0-59827100-1436625483_thumb.jpg

The green one still has an open mouth and I found him upside down on the sand yesterday. He has not attached yet. I put him in a divit in my rock work last night in a low flow area. I was suprised to see him in the same place this morning but he is still not attached. As my lights started ramping up I saw him with a sexy shrimp on him activly cleaning him. You can see his mouth gapping pretty wide in this shot.

post-87944-0-61707200-1436625644_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot that you can see him not attached at all and his foot exposed. Kind of an angle shot downward.

post-87944-0-76985200-1436625776_thumb.jpg

Here he is after the lights ramped up to full.

post-87944-0-67511000-1436625902_thumb.jpg

I dont know if they are traumatized from handling or moving to so many places so quickly. I just hope these two little ones make it.

When you say lights ramped up to full, what do you mean? I only ask cuz my blues are 100% but at max my whites are like 40%. I wonder if the sexy is messing with him too much?

• Like 1

Sounds like rough handling. There really isn't anything you can do if the foot was torn. If it's flopped over face down I would fix it but otherwise I would leave it alone. Hopefully it will pull through!

• Like 1

When you say lights ramped up to full, what do you mean? I only ask cuz my blues are 100% but at max my whites are like 40%. I wonder if the sexy is messing with him too much?

I have the Current Orbit LED's...Not the pro. They have a morning ramp up as the lights come on very slowly over the corse of 15 minutes or so. Then ramp down in the evening to just the blues for a few hours of moon light before turning totaly off. These lights are not very strong but have been great for my shallow tank.

My sexy shrimp stay on the Left Island in my rock scape. The little green RFA and the little Yellow one, I have had on the right island the whole time I have had them. When I fished him out yesterday, when I saw him upside down in the sand, I moved him to the lowest flow area in my tank, which is on the left front where the sexy shimp live. Should I move him back to the other side? Whould he recover better with out the sexy's on him? I have four Sexys and they walk/dance all over my healthy RFA's and ricordia all day long. The shrimp was difineitly cleaning him or eating slime off him this morning though.

awe- pistol shrimp are sure characters. i love mine. sorry about the RFA drama. hopefully he puts his foot down soon.

I really like mine as well. I wish he was out more as he is beautiful with his red and white stripping.

Thanks I hope he attaches soon as well. I am worried for him.

Sounds like rough handling. There really isn't anything you can do if the foot was torn. If it's flopped over face down I would fix it but otherwise I would leave it alone. Hopefully it will pull through!

I will keep righting him if he is upside down. He is almost upside down again in the divit I have him in. :(