Pod Your Reef

My 20 Long Journey

Mom2many

I moved out the frogspawn and singulara yesterday. A friend bought them. I will miss them. sniff sniff. They were beautiful and offered a lot of pretty movement to the tank. But they were both trying to reach out and touch someone. Sigh. Hard to keep certain corals in smaller tanks.

Beautiful pick-ups, and beautiful FTS. =) very excited for you! Keep feeding!!

Thank you so much. I love getting new coral. Well...anything new for the tank. It is like gardening in a box...in water...

• Like 1

After almost three months of living in the same aquarium, at opposite ends, my pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby finally found each other and have become friends. The area they picked to occupy is the back of the aquaruim where my goby has lived for a while but I can still see them a little bit if I look in from the side. I am just happy they are together as they should be and seem to be happy. :)

I think it took them so long to find each other because when I bought the Randalls pistol, he was only about a half inch long and terrified of the world. He made a little den and I have been throwing food down there every few days for months. I see him come to the front of the den occationally and I have been able to watch him grow. His den was right in the front of my aquarium. He is now gotten much bigger so I guess he is not terrified of the goby and such anymore. This made my day.

In other aquaium news I think my green poccillapora spawned today.

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

How does a poci spawning look?

goby/pistol pairs are so great. =) i love mine. i watched them find each other too when i put the pistol in. it was adorable. the goby sort of peeked hopefully around the rock and then when he confirmed that it was a pistol shrimp, swam right up to him and snuggled him.

• Like 1

How does a poci spawning look?

goby/pistol pairs are so great. =) i love mine. i watched them find each other too when i put the pistol in. it was adorable. the goby sort of peeked hopefully around the rock and then when he confirmed that it was a pistol shrimp, swam right up to him and snuggled him.

Awww..... that is so cute about your littel pistol goby pair. I have seen the pictues of them together on your thread. Very colorful and cute!

I believe it was a spawning of my poccillapora. I sit by my tank to feed our babies their bottles as it is time consuming and gives me something to look at and enjoy, while the babies eat. I saw cloudy water coming from it over a short span. Then little minicule white tread like things comming off of him? My fish and coral went crazy. Today my tank is totally clear and every one looks happy. I am glad it didnt crash my tank as I didnt know what to expect as that piece is rather large. I was ready to jump into action if I saw anything in distress. But looks like all is well. :)

I was looking at my tank this morning and realized I never put an end shot on here. It is the end that is exposed to view from my living room. I put my ORA neon polyped toad stool back in this corner because he likes it and because he can get a large as he wants. The area is all his!

post-87944-0-62550200-1432390810_thumb.jpgpost-87944-0-58819200-1432390900_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Love the side shot, and your tank is so clean!!

Thank you so much. I am trying very hard to find a good healthy balance in the tank to avoild using any other equipment. I want to keep it all as simple as possible. The worst thing I have, algae wise right now, is diatoms on the sand that come and go with my photo period. Not a terrible thing and should resolve itself over time. I had to stop using reef pearls and coral frenzy as they were giving me algae trouble. I put Phoslock in my filter and it helped a bit, but once I stopped using those foods, it cleared up very quickly. I am going to rehome my Coco worm as I dont think he will live long with out me using them. I have had him almost four months and he looks very good and I see him potty so I guess he is eating. I dont want him to die so he is going to live with a friend of mine who has a skimmer and feeds fine particle foods daily. :) I do use Red Sea's reef energy and my coral love it so not worried about the filter feeding corals. Love watching your tank. The kitties still loving it?

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

I use red sea's reef energy and notice great results too. when I miss a day things don't seem to pop as much.

kitties are loving the tank, and since i've started the setup of the fluval edge, they love that room even more!

• Like 1

I really like my little blue porcaline crabs. I have three of them. They were very shy for about a month and I had to look for them all thru the rock work to find them all. Now they can be seen day and night out and about. They are either standing boldly on my rock work somewhere, using their fans to filter particles to eat or are cleaning my sand bed. Here is a picture I caught today of two doing both at the same time.

post-87944-0-17195300-1432843393_thumb.jpg

Here is one eating diatoms off the sand bed during the day today.

post-87944-0-03855200-1432843456_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of him. He uses his fans to help with this task as well.

post-87944-0-35721900-1432843497_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Did a little rearanging of corals today. This is what things look like currently.

post-87944-0-13880700-1432844099_thumb.jpg

I have noticed over the last few days that my diatoms that appear daily and disappear at night are not as bad as they have been. So hopefully the extra silicates that are in my sand are about consumed and I will have a better looking sandbed soon.

• Like 1

Very nice! I'm about to set up a 20L myself and trying to decide on how to do the rocks. Yours looks great! :)

Thank you so much! This 20 long is my most favoite tank I have had so far. It is not so big as to break my budget and water changes are so much less on this tank so I don't dread them. But this tank size is also not so small that the water gets out of wack on me.

I looked on line at all the long reef tanks I could find to try to get a feel for what I wanted for this tank as far as the rock scapeing goes. I played around with the rocks on a piece of news paper for days before set up. But I used dry base rock so I could do that. I had never set up a tank with it before. I have always used live rock bought locally. I didnt want any of the bad hitch hickers I encountered last go around.

I'll be watching for your tank thread to see what all you do! Happy reefing!

• Like 1

Thank you so much! This 20 long is my most favoite tank I have had so far. It is not so big as to break my budget and water changes are so much less on this tank so I don't dread them. But this tank size is also not so small that the water gets out of wack on me.

I looked on line at all the long reef tanks I could find to try to get a feel for what I wanted for this tank as far as the rock scapeing goes. I played around with the rocks on a piece of news paper for days before set up. But I used dry base rock so I could do that. I had never set up a tank with it before. I have always used live rock bought locally. I didnt want any of the bad hitch hickers I encountered last go around.

I'll be watching for your tank thread to see what all you do! Happy reefing!

I was thinking of a 3 island setup but still not sure. Need to go look at more 20L for more ideas. But I really like what you've done!

I've always loved the 20L. The dimensions are great. Not too big and not too small. I finally have one :).

• Like 1

I was thinking of a 3 island setup but still not sure. Need to go look at more 20L for more ideas. But I really like what you've done!

I've always loved the 20L. The dimensions are great. Not too big and not too small. I finally have one :).

There is an old thread on this forum of all 20 longs if you have not read thru it. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/227130-20-long-tank-thread/

• Like 1

My wonderful husband watches the children every Sunday morning for me so I can spend time doing weekly maintainance on my tank. I look forward to it every week. I take notes in my head all week long as to what needs moving, scraping, trimming and such and then spend several hours cleaning and working in the tank every Sunday morning. Here is after todays cleaning!

post-87944-0-51653000-1433082143_thumb.jpg

Full Tank Shot

post-87944-0-68078500-1433082181_thumb.jpg

Left Island

post-87944-0-10327400-1433082210_thumb.jpg

Right Island

• Like 4

I took a few pictures today for my computer file to keep up with coral growth and such and this is how the growth is so far under the Current Orbit LED's on a few of my corals. The colors do not run true to life because these are taken with a cell phone but it does show the growth!

I purchased these the second week in April. It grows very dense and anywhere the light does not hit it looses polyps.

post-87944-0-59968000-1433622081_thumb.jpg post-87944-0-51164600-1433622170_thumb.jpg

post-87944-0-67762100-1433622389_thumb.jpg post-87944-0-63103900-1433622408_thumb.jpg

The growth on this one amazes me

post-87944-0-12637400-1433622462_thumb.jpg post-87944-0-90325400-1433622580_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I am so happy...yesterday after feeding my Dendro I put him back into the tank and he looked like this!

post-87944-0-48964000-1434128798_thumb.jpg It is the farthest I have ever seen it open and largest I have seen his tentacles extended.

When he came to me from a disasterous order from Reefs2Go this is what he looked like.

post-87944-0-44493600-1434128913_thumb.jpg

This was after weeks of bowl feeding.

post-87944-0-70602800-1434129017_thumb.jpg

And this recent shot...What an improvment! Prasie God!

post-87944-0-03215000-1434129143_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you...I was getting so discouraged. I am so grateful that it is perking up and doing better. I am looking forward to the day I can feed it while it is still in my tank. :) Will be so much easier.

Two very great things happened today! First I was looking over my tank and found this!

post-87944-0-21467400-1434395071_thumb.jpg

I had witnessed my green and yellow poccillapora spawn about a month ago and that is one of its babies! I know some people feel poccillapora is the xenia of the sps world but I think it is easy to care for and cool! Here is a blurry top down view of how pretty the parent coral is.

post-87944-0-84754900-1434395264_thumb.jpg

The other happy good news is that after a lot of Inspiration gotten off FlowerMama's threads, I drove the hour drive to my favorite salt water store and I bought one of their rock flower anemones! I took in two coral frags for some credit so got a good deal on it. It is such a bright green. They had a pretty red one as well but could not get it out of the tank it was in easily and I would have had to go back later to get it.

The owner is going to Florida two weeks from now to hand pick and bring back more. I will be buying another one or two at that time.

I put it on the rock I wanted it on and it has slowly moved lower down that rock towards the sand bed but I think it is happy now where it is. So pretty!

post-87944-0-01344200-1434395561_thumb.jpg

I am hooked by the way and when our little infant no longer needs to sleep in our bedroom, I am thinking I will move the crib out and put up a 10 gallon just for rock flower anenomes.

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

Wow! So much wonder news on this thread lately. Your Dendros look awesome!! beautiful! and the growth is also very impressive. You must also be a great coral-mom!

Your rock flower is beautiful. I have a green one with a white skirt, but it walked all over the place and is now in a very inconvenient spot. I can't get it to budge- it's not hurting anything, but its out of sight. I'm happy yours stayed where you put it!

• Like 1

Wow! So much wonder news on this thread lately. Your Dendros look awesome!! beautiful! and the growth is also very impressive. You must also be a great coral-mom!

Your rock flower is beautiful. I have a green one with a white skirt, but it walked all over the place and is now in a very inconvenient spot. I can't get it to budge- it's not hurting anything, but its out of sight. I'm happy yours stayed where you put it!

I was so worried about this one going on a walk about as well, as my tank is soooo full. But he moved down just a few inches and has stopped. He is in a great spot so I hope he stays put.

Your green one sounds very pretty too! I love your tank. It has so much diversity. I am a scardy cat about putting certian things in my tank. This is the bravest I have been to put this RFA in there. I always said I would never own any kind of anenome and here we are!

My very first on line order, for this tank, was with Reefs2Go and was for just a seeding copeopod and amphopod pack. All went well. They sent me a sale notification several weeks later that was to tempting to pass up. The dendros were 4.99 a head, They are way more than that around here if you can even find them. So I placed a substantial order with them. It was a disaster. The only thing left alive from that order is my dendros that I have had to work dilligently to bring back to health and a purple sea whip. I immediatly looked up reviews on them and was so upset. I didnt even try to recoupe our money as I did not have the time or energy to do so. (I have 9 chldren still at home, all but one special needs) And from what I read online, most people did not get refunds but got credit for other purchases on their site after a huge drug out fight for something, so it just became a vicious cycle for them. I just gave it to God and let it go....

After buying my first rock flower anemone recently,I knew I wanted a few more and got on line to look around. Everyone seemed to say VIP reefs was the best and had the most beautiful and unusual stock but they recenly had medication they use wipe out most of their stock. So I found KP Aquatics. They had two colors in stock I wanted at good prices. they have good reviews. So.....my wonderful husband let me put in an order with KP Aquatics yesterday. I am so happy and excited!

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

My very first on line order, for this tank, was with Reefs2Go and was for just a seeding copeopod and amphopod pack. All went well. They sent me a sale notification several weeks later that was to tempting to pass up. The dendros were 4.99 a head, They are way more than that around here if you can even find them. So I placed a substantial order with them. It was a disaster. The only thing left alive from that order is my dendros that I have had to work dilligently to bring back to health and a purple sea whip. I immediatly looked up reviews on them and was so upset. I didnt even try to recoupe our money as I did not have the time or energy to do so. (I have 9 chldren still at home, all but one special needs) And from what I read online, most people did not get refunds but got credit for other purchases on their site after a huge drug out fight for something, so it just became a vicious cycle for them. I just gave it to God and let it go....

After buying my first rock flower anemone recently,I knew I wanted a few more and got on line to look around. Everyone seemed to say VIP reefs was the best and had the most beautiful and unusual stock but they recenly had medication they use wipe out most of their stock. So I found KP Aquatics. They had two colors in stock I wanted at good prices. they have good reviews. So.....my wonderful husband let me put in an order with KP Aquatics yesterday. I am so happy and excited!

So exciting! What colors did you order??

• Like 1