SaltCritters.com

Mini Bookshelf Frag tank

aviator300

aviator300

I love going frag shopping and especially like to pick up 5 and 10 dollar frags whenever i'm in my LFS but dont always want to add them to my 13.3 gal display tank..

I decided to pick up a Mr Aqua 3 gal Bookshelf tank ( 18 x 5.4 x 7.1) and use it for a small frag tank as well as a quarantine tank for all corals that i get. I'm using a AC 20 on one end for filtration and a RIO 90 pump on the other end for circulation. I'll probably order an In Tank Media Basket to hold floss and some Chemi-pure Blue.

I'm going BB on this one for ease of cleaning as well as higher circulation without a sandstorm.

I really want to keep a heater out of the display and have come up with an idea that i want to run by you guys for opinions or alternatives.

I only need to heat the water about 3 or 4 degrees because it stays at 74 as it is but i want to keep things stable because i'll probably try some SPS in there. So, what about a small under the tank heater like they have for reptile tanks, etc, or maybe even a vinyl heating pad i have used under seedling trays to provide heat. I could hook this up to a Finnex heater controller (with an in tank sensor). I use one of those for my display tank and it works great.

I'll put in a chunk of LR that i got from "Gulf Live Rock" six months ago in and build a frag rack out of egg crate.

I'm just putting it all together today and will post pics tomorrow. Thanks for following. Aviator.

I think the idea of heating pads are a great option for tiny tanks. The only thing is making sure that there is ample room between the coral and the heating pad below - those things can get really hot. Also, make sure that you won't start a fire if the tank leaks at all. Can't have much of a drip loop with the under-the-tank-pad-heaters

I had been looking for a small QT tank with possibly of maybe going as a display as well. I went the Eheim aqua style kit route and got myself the 6 gallon one.

It will be BB as well and will be lit by an Al prime(white) . I got the stand as well (white) but not sure if I am gonna use it.

The vinyl heating pad sounds like a good idea. If u find something do post a pic. I might go the same route.

Here is the new setup right out of the box. Leak test next

17208649267_b7eec0c7e7_h.jpg

Oh god, I never thought about that.... buying cheap frag for a frag tank Squeee! sorry too much excitement at the concept!!

Oh for heater, I just typically run a heater in my AC 50 I think its 50, could be a 20. I am operating a 1.5 gallon display. I almost cooked it when the heater got stuck on. But I currently have a betta bowl heater in the filter which is keeping it at a decent level. I saw some heaters that will maintain a tank at 77.

aviator300

Oh god, I never thought about that.... buying cheap frag for a frag tank Squeee! sorry too much excitement at the concept!!

Oh for heater, I just typically run a heater in my AC 50 I think its 50, could be a 20. I am operating a 1.5 gallon display. I almost cooked it when the heater got stuck on. But I currently have a betta bowl heater in the filter which is keeping it at a decent level. I saw some heaters that will maintain a tank at 77.

I went to "Petdumb" tonight and picked up a "great Choice" 7.5 watt betta bowl heater. It's a very tiny, thin heater that looks like a miniature rubberized pad (4" tall by 2" wide and about 1/4 "thick. It fits perfect in the AC 20.

It has no thermostat but i have it hooked up to a Finnex controller set at 77 degrees. I will let you know how it works tomorrow as well as post some pics.

I went to "Petdumb" tonight and picked up a "great Choice" 7.5 watt betta bowl heater. It's a very tiny, thin heater that looks like a miniature rubberized pad (4" tall by 2" wide and about 1/4 "thick. It fits perfect in the AC 20.

It has no thermostat but i have it hooked up to a Finnex controller set at 77 degrees. I will let you know how it works tomorrow as well as post some pics.

I am thinking of this : http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-Aquarium-Heater-Tanks/dp/B001768RQK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1431057338&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=7.5+watt+betta+bowl+heater

aviator300

Looks exactly like the one i got except for the brand name. Some company must make them and sell them to various companies who, in turn, put their name on it. I got the 7.5 watt version cause it's smaller.

Looks exactly like the one i got except for the brand name. Some company must make them and sell them to various companies who, in turn, put their name on it. I got the 7.5 watt version cause it's smaller.

that is what is currently in my 1.5 gallon tank.

Archived