Favia

Lobo

Orange Leptastrea

FTS 6/17/15

20150617_104949_zpsei0axtmf.jpg

FTS: 5/12/15

20150515_170706_zpsupdfadqs.jpg

thestreetzking

Heres a quick update. I am getting the live rock tomorrow and still have more base rock unused. This is as far as I have gotten.

Does anyone think these lights will grow low light coral? theres 2 of them and people have said in reviews they did it with 1 but im worried lol They shimmer the sand though which is nice.

20150508_230004_zpsieocmzzq.jpg

Cycle is mostly done if you get some good live rock, you need those bacteria, and hitchhikers are nice also. Base rock isn't particularly nescesary, more lively the rock is the better. Once you get your rocks asses the hitchhikers, most are good a few though deserve caution.

thestreetzking

yeah like I said the live rock is tomorrow, I got some pics of it and its looking real nice, cant wait to put it in.

IMG959888_zpsfxzk4mjy.jpg

this is about 5 pieces he said

thestreetzking

Heres the rock in the tank. I like the layout not sure if its suitable or not lol

20150509_193039_zpswvenj8wu.jpg

If there are any hitchhikers, how long do they take to pop up?

Heres the rock in the tank. I like the layout not sure if its suitable or not lol

If there are any hitchhikers, how long do they take to pop up?

You could start seeing them right away. Anything from starfish,corals,pods, and maybe some pest as we'll.

Yeah, hitch-hikers don't take long to show up. The tiniest ones will probably be the ones you see first.

But many times plants and corals will already "on" the rock and just need time to start growing.

Have you put any thought into what fish and other animals you might put in there?

thestreetzking

I def. want a pair of clowns (ocellaris) , and some gobies. I know with a tank this size im probably only gonna get about 6 fish. Clean up crew of course when the time comes, some snails and shrimp, not sure if I want any crabs even though I think they look cool as hell.

As far as corals I really have no idea, probably zoa's and mushrooms and some other lower light stuff. I wanna see if I can get a hammer to work if I place it higher up on the rocks.

I def. want a pair of clowns (ocellaris) , and some gobies. I know with a tank this size im probably only gonna get about 6 fish. Clean up crew of course when the time comes, some snails and shrimp, not sure if I want any crabs even though I think they look cool as hell.

As far as corals I really have no idea, probably zoa's and mushrooms and some other lower light stuff. I wanna see if I can get a hammer to work if I place it higher up on the rocks.

if you get crabs, you might as well forget sessile invertebrates, even reef safe can go bad. But crabs are very fun pets, pretty smart also.

There's plenty of good CUC animals available.

Lot's of different snails, mini-brittles, spaghetti worms, and various shrimp.

Depends on how many types you want to try out.

With a medium level of lighting you can keep a wide range of corals.

I saw someone's hammer just the other day on here. I don't know much about them but I liked what I saw and want to look into them.

thestreetzking

I appreciate all the help guys. I will update as time goes on, but for now I will wait for the cycle to do its thing!

Cencalfishguy56

I appreciate all the help guys. I will update as time goes on, but for now I will wait for the cycle to do its thing!

6 fish is doable but just know you will have to be up on it more maintenance wise to keep it looking good haha I had 4 in a 10 gallon got tired after a while but it worked

thestreetzking

Alright so I think I have a problem

I added the live sand and the dry base rock, then added the live rock yesterday along with a bottle of bio-spira to hopefully help with the live rock.

I just tested today and im reading 0 across the board for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. I get like 8.0 for PH and hardness close to 180, KH is like 120.

I used the real ocean water which came in at 1.025 salinity.

What am I missing here?

thestreetzking

I did not, I thought that between the rock and sand and bio spira it would have done something. Can I add food to do this, I know I could get a shrimp or pure ammonia but im saying I got plenty of fish food laying around lol

I've used fish food to start past tanks.

If your LR is really really clean it could take a little while before there's some decay to start producing ammonia.

thestreetzking

Alright ill try the flakes and see if it works, if not ill look out for some ammonia. Thanks again!

thestreetzking

im returning the lights to buy a better led setup, found one that can be dimmed and go from 8k to 20k full spectrum. plus people reviewing it say they can grow hard corals and i like having the option lol

thestreetzking

Is there anything I can add to my c3 or change out to help? I did replace the carbon bag with chemi pure elite. but I see some people mention chaeto in the front of it, worth it?

thestreetzking

Ammonia went to 2ppm today thanks for picking up the ace hardware ammonia. What now? wait till the morning test again and re dose if it dropped? or wait till nitrates show up?

HarryPotter

Wait and test every other day or so, and see how long it takes for the Ammonia to get back to O.

Question-

How long was the live rock out of the water? Hopefully not TOO long, or it will be releasing a bunch of stuff later :(

thestreetzking

no it wasnt out to long, it was transfered in a day in bags of water, Came from a family member who owns a business

Archived