ReefCleaners.org

Jake's 1/4 gallon PJ (Pico Jar) setup

ReeferMan01

ReeferMan01

I've been following the small but steadily growing Pico Jar movement on nano-reef and decided to share my experience with anyone interested (shout out to new-b-reefer for a good setup and providing inspiration).

I should start out by saying that I had a large 75 gallon salt water aquarium for about 4 years so I've had some experience in the hobby. I can personally attest to the frustration and learning involved in setting up a large tank, and know that a tank this small could potentially be even trickier to mantain!

The tank- A small 1/4 gallon jug from Michael's purchased for $5.

post-87974-0-90757000-1430866553_thumb.jpg

The heat supply - A small 8 watt terrarium heater from amazon which cost about $12. I'm keeping the setup at work and I'm afraid the water will cool over the weekend when the ac/heater are off. It's very temperate where I am in San Diego, but better to be safe than sorry.

post-87974-0-14352400-1430866555_thumb.jpg

The temperature controller - A Finnex MAX-300. This was the most expensive piece of the setup at $30. The terrarium heater doesn't come with a temperature controller, so I'm planning on using the Finnex to regulate the heat. It hasn't budged a single degree since the water has been heated to 79 degrees.

post-87974-0-46208200-1430866554_thumb.jpg

The light I got from ebay - 15w LED e27 bulb (again, thanks for new-b-reefer for the suggestion in his thread):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131104200274?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And lastly, the setup. I bought a cheap desk lamp from Amazon ($10) and installed the light.

post-87974-0-27480900-1430866627_thumb.jpg

So far I've got the water in and heat stable. The fully cured live rock will be chosen tomorrow and added to the jar. I want to give the live rock a week or so to make sure there is no die off on the way home from the fish store, then do a water change, wait a couple of days and add some very small frags of zoas and GSP.

More pictures to come!

Neat! That lamp will work for freshwater also? I have plants in my .7 gal Tetra tank that will need a bit better lighting.

ReeferMan01

Water temperature hasn't budged more than 1 degree since I set it up. Here is a pic with the rock included. Picking up some Zoas and macro algae this week:

IMG_0067_zpszngkg1mm.jpg

ReeferMan01

Heater is working perfectly. Temperature variation has been 1 degree or less since day 1- the Finnex control is doing its job. At 8 watts it doesn't get very hot but it doesn't need to.

Heater is working perfectly. Temperature variation has been 1 degree or less since day 1- the Finnex control is doing its job. At 8 watts it doesn't get very hot but it doesn't need to.

Does it matter that a lot of the pad is exposed? If not I am so buying one. :)

ReeferMan01

Does it matter that a lot of the pad is exposed? If not I am so buying one. :)

Not at all. It doesn't even get that hot. They say to keep it free from water but I spilled all over it while doing a water change and there has been no issue. Amazon has a few different sizes and wattages as well.

• 2 weeks later...
ReeferMan01

Picked up some orange and green zoas and a small frag of some GSP. Also got some red macroalgea. The zoanthids opened up within about 10 minutes and although the GSP is opening, it is doing so at a slower pace.

Looks like there is a very tiny hitchhiker snail and copepods swimming all over the place.

Everything is looking good so far! Hopefully there won't be any algae outbreaks...

IMG_0097_zps6pptutnq.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived