ReefCleaners.org

Braaap's Reef - New pics page 18 2/5/17

braaap

Welcome to my reef journal. This is my first custom tank so I'm pretty excited. Also my first tank with a sump. So double excited. In over 15 years of reef keeping I've never had a sump. Too lazy and cheap I guess.

Anyways.

Tank. 36x20x14 Low Iron with center overflow. Using the Herbie method for my overflow. Here is a sketchup the builder did.

gallery_85640_8_20895.jpg

gallery_85640_8_46153.jpg

YESSSS!!!! 6/21/15 FTS

tank_zpsnmhw2aes.jpg

FTS 6/28/15

tank_zpsbxkjzoop.jpg

FTS 9/28/15

Photo%20on%209-28-15%20at%205.53%20PM_zp

FTS 3/7/16

IMG_0085_zps2kn0dhuj.jpg

FTS 5/8/2016

IMG_0291_zpsfdh4vkeb.jpg

Full Tank Shot 1/1/2017

IMG_1084_zpsk0grdfyy.jpg

FTS 2/5/2017

IMG_1346_zpswtzrxyoy.jpg

Equipment list

6x39w Dimmable ATI Sunpod T5

(2) EcoTech Vortech MP10wQD

(2) Cobalt Neo-Therm 150watt heaters

Full Apex with (2) EB8s, WXM and PM2

Spectrapure UPLC II

Spectrapure Litermeter 3

Reef Flakes

Sump - Trigger Ruby 30 with Jebao DCT8000 return

Skimmer - Bubble Magus Curve 5

My plan with this tank is to do SPS and zoas. No idea on fish except I want a Bluespot Jawfish.

It is going to be a few months until I get this up and running because I still have to build the stand for it and finish the remodel in the room where it is going.

• Like 9
Odyssey350kc

I like the look of the tank, seems like your gonna be dumping some money into this thing.

I got the vertex omega skimmer from bulk reef supply. Like everyone says it takes a little bit to get dialed in but once it is it works great. I'm pulling out about a half full cup once a week of dark brown crap.

I'm asuming you have fast toys by your name, sleds? dirtbikes?

• Like 1
VW_TDI_02

What size bulkheads are those for the drains? From the looks of it, they're about 2" which seems like quite a bit for such a small tank. Obviously you would slow it down with a gate valve but with a 2" drain, I would think that you're going to need to slow it down a lot or you're going to need a seriously powerful return pump to keep up. A 1" overflow would probably be more than enough.

• Like 1

I like the look of the tank, seems like your gonna be dumping some money into this thing.

I got the vertex omega skimmer from bulk reef supply. Like everyone says it takes a little bit to get dialed in but once it is it works great. I'm pulling out about a half full cup once a week of dark brown crap.

Thanks. I'll look into the skimmer. I've got wayyyyyy too much money into this right now. haha.

Few dirt bikes. No sleds currently.

What size bulkheads are those for the drains? From the looks of it, they're about 2" which seems like quite a bit for such a small tank. Obviously you would slow it down with a gate valve but with a 2" drain, I would think that you're going to need to slow it down a lot or you're going to need a seriously powerful return pump to keep up. A 1" overflow would probably be more than enough.

Ya they are (2) 1" and (1) 3/4. 2" would be massive! haha.

Anyone recommend a QUIET return pump? I've looked around a lot but want to hear from people's experience.

I got one of the sicce syncra silent pumps from bulk reef supply. Runs dead silent, love it.

I keep hearing that. That is a very good contender on my list. I really want a variable DC pump though.

So I MIGHT change my light plan. MIGHT. I'm considering picking up 2 Radion Gen 1s with TIR lenses. :o

VW_TDI_02

Good to know, haha. The top down picture made it look to me that they were 2" ones. Glad to hear they aren't. In regards to the pump, I've heard good things about the sicce syncra silent pumps. A lot of people have been getting the Jebao DC pumps but I've also heard a lot of people have them die out after a year or so.

• Like 1

Nanobox hybrid! Lol

Probably gonna take a lot of flak for this but the Hybrid fixture is UGLY. The lack of controller integration is also a bummer. I'll have one when there is an online/phone app to control it because you really can't beat the light output.

I'm working on getting a Gen 2 Radion. I want SPS. A radion will cover 90% of my tank. They cover 30x30 with very good PAR. Not like the outside edges will have anything anyways. If I need another I'll grab one. The Primes are good little lights but not enough for my size of tank I'm finding out.

Steensj2004

Probably gonna take a lot of flak for this but the Hybrid fixture is UGLY. The lack of controller integration is also a bummer. I'll have one when there is an online/phone app to control it because you really can't beat the light output.

I'm working on getting a Gen 2 Radion. I want SPS. A radion will cover 90% of my tank. They cover 30x30 with very good PAR. Not like the outside edges will have anything anyways. If I need another I'll grab one. The Primes are good little lights but not enough for my size of tank I'm finding out.

Meh, subjective I suppose. The Bluefish mini integrates wi-fi, phone app, webcam interface, and a laundry list more then any other light on the market without buying extra stuff.

Meh, subjective I suppose. The Bluefish mini integrates wi-fi, phone app, webcam interface, and a laundry list more then any other light on the market without buying extra stuff.

I'm talking Reef Controller mainly. I know the Bluefish mini does a ton of stuff but I'm not all that impressed. I also don't like the look of the fixture. I can get 2 Radion Gen 2s for the price of 1 Hybrid. I only need 1 Radion though.

Steensj2004

I'm talking Reef Controller mainly. I know the Bluefish mini does a ton of stuff but I'm not all that impressed. I also don't like the look of the fixture. I can get 2 Radion Gen 2s for the price of 1 Hybrid. I only need 1 Radion though.

Reef controller? Like an Apex?

Reef controller? Like an Apex?

Yes. I use Apex. Unless I'm missing something(most likely am) I don't see where they are controllable via Apex. I don't really want to use a breakout box. I had enough of those on my last tank.

So yesterday was Xmas for me. I got 2 new MP10wQD pumps and my Radion XR30W. I played with the Radion some but haven't taken the MP10s out yet. Not going to have my tank for a few months. :(

So with the Herbie overflow style do the returns just run up and over my overflow with lockline? I guess I never thought about that method.

Also what sump setup should I use? I was thinking a 20L but I'm concerned about a power outage and filling it. I calculated it out and if I had my standpipe 2 inches below the water and the power went out just over 6 gallons would head to the sump. 20L aren't truly 20 gallons. Especially with gear in them. Thoughts? I'm thinking a 29 would be a better option. Same width and length just 6 inches taller.

Steensj2004

So yesterday was Xmas for me. I got 2 new MP10wQD pumps and my Radion XR30W. I played with the Radion some but haven't taken the MP10s out yet. Not going to have my tank for a few months. :(

So with the Herbie overflow style do the returns just run up and over my overflow with lockline? I guess I never thought about that method.

Also what sump setup should I use? I was thinking a 20L but I'm concerned about a power outage and filling it. I calculated it out and if I had my standpipe 2 inches below the water and the power went out just over 6 gallons would head to the sump. 20L aren't truly 20 gallons. Especially with gear in them. Thoughts? I'm thinking a 29 would be a better option. Same width and length just 6 inches taller.

Most people just run up over the top with lockline.

I use a 20 L without issue, Although I am not runnign a herbie.....

Most people just run up over the top with lockline.

I use a 20 L without issue, Although I am not runnign a herbie.....

I just don't want the locline showing. Might notch out my overflow for it to run through.

20L is more than half of your tank. For me if I drain 4 inches of water then that is 13 gallons nearly. I think it will be ok but I think I'm just being extra cautious. I think a 29 is what I will make a sump out of. Just for the extra volume.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Anyone with the RMS mount for a Radion know how wide the portion that clamps to the tank is? Wondering if it will fit in my overflow portion.

Same question here, for mounting the Radion to my JBJ RL-45 rimless All-In-One

• Like 1

You have the Vertex Omega 130? I picked up the 130 and a Trigger sump.

• 3 weeks later...