Coral Vue Hydros

Active carbon

Murphs_Reef

Murphs_Reef

Hi would there be an issue with putting a net if active carbon into an internal filter inside the tank? I assume not as if in sump or HOB is still within the water column, but my assumptions have cost have hard cash In the past so...

DurocShark

Not that I can think of, but why? What are you trying to accomplish? Do you already have another filter in place?

DurocShark

Ahh.

What size is your tank? An inexpensive canister filter may be better for your needs.

Regardless, as long as it's well rinsed, carbon is fine wherever the filter is.

Murphs_Reef

Thanks it's a 25 gallon. Don't run a skimmer (which I am now thinking about as well)

Did a water change today, dropped the jug I was using into the tank, in my panic to grab it pushed some rock over which in turn pushed a cloud of sh#t up into the water column. On testing the water a few hours later.... Nitrates are up to 20 ppm.... So the water change ended up making things worse in a round about way,

So another change tomorrow! And as a helping hand was going to get some carbon in too.. But if I had a skimmer it would pull out the rubbish before it became nitrates??... Oh and just before tomorrow's change I will be repointing my wavemaker a bit I think to look at those dead spots...

DurocShark

That's what a skimmer's for, yep.

You can use other things to provide the same functionali8ty though. I'm skimmerless on my 9. I use carbon and Purigen, combined with lots of macro algae. But it isn't perfect. Poly Filter may work at least as well as Purigen.

No way I'm doing that on my 70 though. Chemical media are expensive. Terrible ROI on larger tanks.

Archived