ReefCleaners.org

The new vase reef

VaseReefing

VaseReefing

So a little background first. First off, hello to all you nano reefers! I have lurked around this forum for a couple years now and it has been a great source of knowledge when I used to own my 3 reef tanks almost 5 years ago. I used to have a 400 gallon reef/fish tank, a 100 gallon octopus tank, and a 3.5 gallon pico reef. I took a long break from reefing due to me moving into a new house and have a baby. Well now I feel Things have settled down enough to dip my feet back into this awesome hobby.

My 3.5 pico I used to have was in fact a vase. And I've always enjoyed the look and idea of creating a reef inside a vase. I have had a couple others too, but just for testing purposes. Well I decided for my first project back into reefing, I am going to do a .5g vase. I enjoy the challenge, but I also think that keeping things simple, along with religious water changes weekly, I can create an amazing little tank.

Heres what I got:

.5g glass vase (Walmart $4.97)

2 lbs of live rock (Lfs at $7.99 per lb)

Live sand (Lfs $10.00)

Air pump (re-used from previous tanks) <--- only source of water movement

Led ABI bulb (12w 6 actinic blue 450-470nm + 6 white 15k) ($24.95)

Light stand ( simple desk lamp / $14.00

Got everything setup last night. Sorry for the bad first pic, I will be taking better ones with my good camera once I start adding frags and its past its cycling stage. The plan is rics, gsp, shrooms, xenia, and a macro algae of some kind, maybe dragons breath. We will see how it goes from there, I'm sure I will add more. Stay tuned guys! Can't wait to get this thing going. If all goes well on this one, I plan on doing many more vases of various sizes! I have a huge one I've been saving for something special. ;)

post-88003-0-27311100-1430546672_thumb.jpg

Archived