SaltCritters.com

Water change questions! Please Help

Nanoreefjoe

Nanoreefjoe

Do i need to buy two heaters and two power heads so i can keep my tank flowing and heating at the same time I am heating my new water for the water change the following day? is it mandatory to have a power head in the mixing bucket?

Heating up the water to your tank temp stabilizes the pH. For a big system it's not a big deal if you have lets say 80g tank and you are doing 10g water change and pH is a couple points different but it's a huge difference on a small tank.

fishfreak0114

You can get a small filter instead of a power head. It circulates the water too. You can

Probably but one at Walmart for Less Than $15

Do i need to buy two heaters and two power heads so i can keep my tank flowing and heating at the same time I am heating my new water for the water change the following day? is it mandatory to have a power head in the mixing bucket?

No and no.

How big of a tank and how much water you changing? For my 34g I mix up 10 gallons of saltywater (that I mix with a stick) and then I fill 5 one gallon jugs and put them on a shelf. I do a 1g WC every other day. I don't heat the water and use it room temp. IMO temp swings are not the big bugaboo some people think. I don't test pH, but Mg, Ca, Alk are consistent.

Also, water temp does not change salinity!

Archived