Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MakerDriver 2up

Reefkid88

Reefkid88

Pretty cool concept,but I was wondering are these worth getting for $20 if you're not worried about sunset and such, Seeming you only need a 48v PSU ? I'd much rather look at these then a huge driver and all that jazz..

jedimasterben

The MakersDriver 2up is $62 including the pair of LDD, not including a power supply, so not sure where the $20 is coming from?

Reefkid88

On Makers website it's $20 for the basic one,with no port to connect to the controller. Just connections to the Ldd's and the terminal for the PSU. I take it I'm missing something then lol ?!

jedimasterben

On Makers website it's $20 for the basic one,with no port to connect to the controller. Just connections to the Ldd's and the terminal for the PSU. I take it I'm missing something then lol ?!

The only ones LEDgroupbuy sells is the MakersDriver 2up Pro and 5up Pro, not the basic, so I assumed that is the one you were talking about.

Reefkid88

The only ones LEDgroupbuy sells is the MakersDriver 2up Pro and 5up Pro, not the basic, so I assumed that is the one you were talking about.

That be it lol. That was my fault,I wasn't specific on which one. I figure if all you need is a PSU then,for just manual control on a timer,shits not bad ?!

If I didn't have all the things for making my own circuit board for my next light then I'd probably use these since it doesn't need that much control.

Reefkid88

If I didn't have all the things for making my own circuit board for my next light then I'd probably use these since it doesn't need that much control.

It really is nice,you can swap out the drivers,you can dim the Ldd's when you'd normally need a 5v controller and no open boards and it's only like $23 after shipping added on. Only downside is,from Makers I think I only comes with 1000mA's and I wish it was compatible with a 36v PSU like my CLG-150.

Why isn't it compatible?

It's probably just a circuit with a voltage step down into an asymmetrical 555 or 556 circuit on the back for control. If anything 36v would probably be preferable as there's less voltage to step down.

There are other circuits that could be back there but the voltage drop would be necessary either way.

Did you ask Makers if lower voltage supplies would work?

jedimasterben

It really is nice,you can swap out the drivers,you can dim the Ldd's when you'd normally need a 5v controller and no open boards and it's only like $23 after shipping added on. Only downside is,from Makers I think I only comes with 1000mA's and I wish it was compatible with a 36v PSU like my CLG-150.

The MakersDriver supports a maximum of 50v input, and I would assume a minimum of 12v.

jedimasterben

Oops, I lied. The MakersDrivers 2up and 5up Pro are now $43 ($57 including two LDD) and $61.50, respectively.

Reefkid88

The MakersDriver supports a maximum of 50v input, and I would assume a minimum of 12v.

So a CLG-150 would be fine then. I just saw it say 48v. Which I mean a open frame from LGB or Steve's isn't expensive so it wouldn't be that bad. I just have a CLG already. Yeah they dropped their prices. The only place that has the basic 2up is Makers themselves. But it's all good.

Reefkid88

Why isn't it compatible?

It's probably just a circuit with a voltage step down into an asymmetrical 555 or 556 circuit on the back for control. If anything 36v would probably be preferable as there's less voltage to step down.

There are other circuits that could be back there but the voltage drop would be necessary either way.

Did you ask Makers if lower voltage supplies would work?

They said anything between 12-48v is compatible,so that's good new !! And I have 2 LEDs already. 1x 700 and 1x 1A.

Archived