inTank Media Baskets

Water params and xenia

Austintylerl

Austintylerl

So I love Xenia and I want a full Xenia farm in my 8 gallon. I just tested my water after no water changes for two weeks. According to Api I have no ammonia nitrite or nitrates. Im running an Aiprime and a big bag of matrix and purigen. Are the purigen and matrix keeping my water too clean and inhibiting my xenia growth bc my xenia looks happy but has not spread in two months. I've read xenia enjoys a little extra nutrients.

Just a thought

Thank you

Thomas898

I don't imagine just running matrix and purigen would strip the water too clean in all honesty, I run chemi pure elite and purigen and my xenia grows very fast, and I have 0 nitrates also. If you run a skimmer, that will remove a lot of the dissolved organics in the tank that xenia feeds on. Some Xenia species also do not spread, at least IME, mine will just grow tall stalks that will split into two after a few weeks, but it never spreads from the rock it starts on. I started with about 4-5 heads and over a few months ended up having over 16 large frags at one point that were cut from the main colony.

What is the lighting like?

Thomas898

Add a clownfish. It will host in the Xenia and feed it like an anemone.

Not always, they will use whatever they want as a host, mine never touch the xenia.

Austintylerl

Thanks Thomas, my lighting is the new AI Prime LED unit. I run the whites at about 35% with blues about 65%, a little green, UV and violet too. The xenia is red sea variety. I have no skimmer

Archived