Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clowns acting crazy

gus6464

A while back I got pair of Onyx Perculas and one decided to jump out of the tank not 12 hours later. The other one liked the place so decided to stay. I recently replaced the one that died with a misbar Onyx Percula and lately they seem to be acting all crazy.

The will get fully vertical facing each other with one at the very top of the tank and the other at the bottom. Then they will stare at each other for a while and all of a sudden dart off towards each other basically heatbutting themselves and swimming in circles around each other. At first I thought it was aggression but then they stop and swim together not doing anything until they get bored and start the staring contest all over again.

Both are eating fine and very active. Are they just seeing if they are compatible mates?

ReefSafeSolutions

Yeah, probably just working out the kinks with each other to see if they're compatible.

I'm no expert, by any means, but I do know clowns are crazy little fish. They do the weirdest things! Super fun to watch...I've got a new clown who hung out by the frogspawn for a while, but he kicked the other little clown out of the hairy mushroom and took over that coral haha!

All clowns start as male and then the dominant one becomes female (generally becomes larger). It's always risky introducing clowns at different times as a clown on it's own will become female and if the new addition just so happens to be female they will fight to the death as they can't go back to male.

But yeah basically it sounds like they are trying to establish a pecking order to see who is dominant and therefore who will become the female.

Archived