Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tank not cycling?

Galli

So I'm sitting at week 2 of a 20L with one twenty something pound rock, 20lbs of live sand, two (about to be three) 425 gph powerheads, and an AC70 HOB. My ammonia is 8.0+, my nitrites are 5.0+, and my nitrates are 160+.

Should I do a water change to lower all of them to give the bacteria a lesser load?

I am beginning to think it's my light, because I'm having to ghetto-rig a 10 gallon light fixture with two really weak lights to use as a light until my 4x24watt T5HO fixture gets here.

Is the lack of algae growth a factor in this?

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

I would advise you to turn off your light, and your skimmer if you have one running.

With Ammonia this high, i would also do a 25% waterchange now.

How have you been cycling? As in what with? Just with whatever dead material there is? Or with food additions? Or?

Also yeah, light and skimmer are not recommended during the cycle.

Is the parameters basically like this since forever? Any previous measurements for comparison?

I started cycling with a chunk of frozen mysis shrimp (San Fran brand) and after a few days it jumped up to all three readings.

So, no light and do a slight water change now is the general consensus?

I started cycling with a chunk of frozen mysis shrimp (San Fran brand) and after a few days it jumped up to all three readings.

So, no light and do a slight water change now is the general consensus?

Well there is potential for your parameters to be too high. But hard to say if it's true, as you don't know exact numbers - I am assuming the numbers you have are the highest on the chart, right? It's hard to say if the numbers are decreasing or otherwise, since it would just keep measuring the same.

Archived