Top Shelf Aquatics

Just added a skunk shrimp to my 6 gallon fluval edge. Iodine question.

iammrhappy123

iammrhappy123

LFS guy told me that I should be added some iodine every 2 weeks to promote molting.

I'm thinking that the salt water during weekly WC's has enough iodine in it.

Anything I don't measure...shouldn't be added?

Any tips and suggestions on this topic?

Also how often should I feed the thing? I don't have any other livestock in it. Just live rock.

Cencalfishguy56

LFS guy told me that I should be added some iodine every 2 weeks to promote molting.

I'm thinking that the salt water during weekly WC's has enough iodine in it.

Anything I don't measure...shouldn't be added?

Any tips and suggestions on this topic?

Also how often should I feed the thing? I don't have any other livestock in it. Just live rock.

iammrhappy123

My water changes are all I did, he molts fine and I feed him everyday noticed he will become a predator if hungry

Everyday? That's a lot of feeding lol. LFS told me I could feed him twice a week with 1/4 a cube of brine shrimp. How big is your tank?

Cencalfishguy56

Everyday? That's a lot of feeding lol. LFS told me I could feed him twice a week with 1/4 a cube of brine shrimp. How big is your tank?

Lol well I mean I didn't just dump food in nor did I give him the good stuff like brine, I just give him one flake of food a day by hand he comes up to it haha and just a standard 10 gallon soon to be fusion 20

Also they can become predators as previously stated, I found him eating my peppermint shrimp while I was gone for two days, he didn't get food and found his own lol also snails

You don't want to be dosing iodine in a 6 gal tank! Just do regular water changes and you will be fine. Shrimp eat every day, so yeah, you should feed them daily. They don't need much. One clam, one silverside, and one cocktail shrimp would last you more than a month! Just shave off small chunks. The shrimp will figure the system out quickly and will take the food right off your feeding stick. If you use your hand, make sure it is very clean as they will dig around under your fingernails etc. It can get to be kind of a pain, so that is why I recommend a stick.

Cencalfishguy56

You don't want to be dosing iodine in a 6 gal tank! Just do regular water changes and you will be fine. Shrimp eat every day, so yeah, you should feed them daily. They don't need much. One clam, one silverside, and one cocktail shrimp would last you more than a month! Just shave off small chunks. The shrimp will figure the system out quickly and will take the food right off your feeding stick. If you use your hand, make sure it is very clean as they will dig around under your fingernails etc. It can get to be kind of a pain, so that is why I recommend a stick.

They do dig under the fingernails lmao it's kinda funny actually! And yes clean hands are a must in a tank like a reef

ittybittypilot

I had the same questions about iodine dosing and it was a resounding "NOOOO" from long-time hobbiests and pros. ESPECIALLY in these Pico tanks. You'd have to dilute the crap outta it and you'd STILL easily reach deadly levels. All (ok most) of the good commercial salt mixes contain enough iodine to replenish natural iodine, especially if you are doing regular water changes. I do a 25-30% water change in my 5 gal weekly using Instant Ocean.

I'm still a newbie, just passing on what was told to me. I'm still learning as well. :)

Archived