Pod Your Reef

40 Breeder and Newb Introduction

rm420

Just would like to introduce myself.

I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I started out with a standard 5 gallon

tank, a power filter, and an incandescent hood. The water stayed a constant 76 degrees,

even without a heater. I (stupidly) went out and bought a ~1.5" Ocellaris clownfish.

I didn't listen to forums (don't be me). The ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates weren't the problem.

This clownfish is literally the total opposite of any discription of clowns. She would make laps, and laps, around

that tank. 3 weeks later, she still looked uncomfortable, and by then, I knew it wasn't just because she was

in a new tank. She was eating fine, Brine shrimp and Hikari S pellets(A+++), but I started to see white dots.

At this point I seriously had gotten attached to this fish. I knew a 5 gallon was inhumane. I got a 40 gallon

breeder that I had sitting around, and started to work.

Current tank Specs:

-54lbs rock (4 lbs live 50lbs dry)

-Roughly 35lbs of sand (roughly .5" sand bed)

-2 Aquatop powerheads (1 256gph, 1 660gph)

-Aquatop heater (150w)

-Quad T5 HO

-Protein Skimmer (Hydor Slim Skim)

-1.023 Salinity

-0 Ammonia

-0 Nitrite

-5 Nitrate

-8.0 PH

I cycled this tank with table shrimp and Seachem Stability(A+++++)

Current stock:

-2 Ocellaris clowns(This includes my original clown that was in the 5 gallon)

Both of these clowns literally have the cheekiest personality. My original clown will eat a pellet off the tip of your finger.

The other added clown has no problem taking pellets and brine shrimp. They have already accepted each other. And the smaller, added clown,

already twitched a little to the larger, more established clown. All in all, comical little inhabitants.

-Bicolor Angelfish

Yes, I was willing to take a chance on the possibility of this fish nipping corals.

Shockingly, this fish is very healthy. Accepted brine shrimp and pellets on the second day I had her, along with constantly grazing rocks.

Constantly crusing in and out the rock work. Really stunning colors, that the camera just doesn't show. Yes, that's her in my profile pic.

All in all, shy, but absolutely stunning fish with a sweet personality.

I am looking to add one more fish to my tank. Preferably pink or purple. That color, IMO, would top the tank off. (Pun intended :lol:) Open to any suggestions.

An Orchid Dottyback looks nice. How's their temperament?

Here's the FTS

Pretty mellow. best to have only 1 per tank though.

Archived