SaltCritters.com

My NanoCustom PAR38 LED bulb is flipping out!

Sailfish

Hey!

I just walked into the kitchen 5min ago to make myself an espresso. There I saw my trusty old PAR38 LED bulb flickering like crazy, over my 5G kitchen reef. I thought that the bulb might be loose, so I tightened it. No difference...

https://youtu.be/ArhIoaol4bw

What is most likely wrong, and is it something I can fix?
The bulb is 4 years old, but has only been in use for a little less then 2 years.

It is really bad timing, considering I'm in the middle of wrapping up the semester with the last big tests in all my subjects before the exam period. I really don't have time for this right now :(

I have a Lumia 5.2 build kit that I was supposed to use for my next 24G cube. Will it be easier and quicker to put that together, then to fix the PAR38?

The coral growth was actually really starting to take off under the PAR38, especially my green M. capricornis with purple edge, so really a shame for the light to quit now. <_<

How many days without light before Acropora, Montipora and other corals start to suffer?

Haven't seen one freak out like that before. I wouldn't be surprised if a cap is dead on the power supply. You could open it up and see if any of the electrlytics (large cylindrical caps) have the top swollen or ruptured. If that's the case they can be swapped easy enough.

Archived