Coral Vue Hydros

Reefkeeper Lite -- SL2V2 or SLX

ManGups

I have a Reefkeeper lite (Basic) which come with the a PC4, Basic controller and temp sensor.

I am looking to expand this to measure PH as well and I would need a SL1 Unit and a PH probe.

However, there seems to be 2 more of these modules - SL2V2 and SLX

All 3 have

1 x pH port

1 x ORP port
1 x Temperature port
2 x Switch ports

So what the difference b/w them? The Digital aquatics has the same info for each.

1) SL1 : http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/modules/sl1/

2) SL2V2 :http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/modules/sl2v2/

30 SLX : http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/modules/slx/

The only thing the seems extra in the SL2V2 is the isolated Ph and salinity port so not sure if this is the same for the SL1 and/or SLX.

Anyone know what the difference is?

SL1 and SLX have an ORP while the SL2V2 has a salinity port.

[Edit]

With the SLX you can run two pH probes instead of just one like with the SL1 and SL2V2.

SL1: Switches, pH, ORP

SLX: Switches, pH, ORP/pH

SL2V2: Switches, pH, salinity

SL1 and SLX have an ORP while the SL2V2 has a salinity port.

[Edit]

With the SLX you can run two pH probes instead of just one like with the SL1 and SL2V2.

SL1: Switches, pH, ORP

SLX: Switches, pH, ORP/pH

SL2V2: Switches, pH, salinity

Thanks for the clarification. I was getting confused and probably missed the Salinity measure in SL2V2.

What do you guys usually measure? ORP though considered Important and though used to give a generic idea is anything is amiss is really not considered on top of the things to do.

Salinity is something I would would like to be monitored ( I usually do one measure before and after every water change). This will save me some time.

However still wondering if I am thinking the right way. Do any of you monitor ORP and Salinity vai controllers?

Thanks for the clarification. I was getting confused and probably missed the Salinity measure in SL2V2.

What do you guys usually measure? ORP though considered Important and though used to give a generic idea is anything is amiss is really not considered on top of the things to do.

Salinity is something I would would like to be monitored ( I usually do one measure before and after every water change). This will save me some time.

However still wondering if I am thinking the right way. Do any of you monitor ORP and Salinity vai controllers?

Nope. From what I've heard, ORP should be monitored when running ozone but normally it isn't really necessary. Salinity takes all of two seconds to test any ways. The probes for it are really expensive too ($100+). The only thing I currently measure is temperature. I bought a used SL1 here yesterday or the day before and eventually I'm going to snag a pH probe as well. The main reason I got the SL1 is because I want to run my ATO off of my ReefKeeper and need the switches. The pH probe will be more of a back up. I'm running kalk in my ATO so if for any reason my ATO won't turn off with the float switches, the pH probe will be set to turn off the ATO at a certain pH level.

Nope. From what I've heard, ORP should be monitored when running ozone but normally it isn't really necessary. Salinity takes all of two seconds to test any ways. The probes for it are really expensive too ($100+). The only thing I currently measure is temperature. I bought a used SL1 here yesterday or the day before and eventually I'm going to snag a pH probe as well. The main reason I got the SL1 is because I want to run my ATO off of my ReefKeeper and need the switches. The pH probe will be more of a back up. I'm running kalk in my ATO so if for any reason my ATO won't turn off with the float switches, the pH probe will be set to turn off the ATO at a certain pH level.

I was trying to get the SL1 here too .. missed it : :( Probably to you :o

Also wanted to do the same as you to measure ph. I probably need to start dosing kalk and ph testing/monitoring was something i wanted to automate. I don't intend to get a ORP or salinity probe now - I saw those as quite expensive. I do need to pick a module so was wondering which would sever better in the long run.

I was trying to get the SL1 here too .. missed it : :( Probably to you :o

Also wanted to do the same as you to measure ph. I probably need to start dosing kalk and ph testing/monitoring was something i wanted to automate. I don't intend to get a ORP or salinity probe now - I saw those as quite expensive. I do need to pick a module so was wondering which would sever better in the long run.

If you're going new then I would probably just get the SL2V2 and call it a day. I had a thread here looking for one for about a month and a half and nobody messaged me. I did see someone put one up for sale but within a few hours someone else had bought it and I didn't see it in time. Got lucky and found someone selling two SL1s. One was sold and then I took the second one. Waiting to receive it and hopefully will get that set up relatively quickly.

Thanks for the help. I am also thinking the SLX (not sure if I will ever get the probe for salinity).

BTW - I have only 1 PC4. Do you need another PC4 for either an SL1, SL2v2 or SLX. I tried searching for it and not sure. The whole package of a reefkeeper lite plus comes with 2 PC4 and the SL1 and the Ph probe. But it never says you need another PC4 for a SL1 or SL2V2 or SLX module.

With the ReefKeeper Lite you have a maximum of four modules. Each PC4 counts as a module and so does the SL1 so as long as the total amount is 4 or less, you're good.

Archived