Top Shelf Aquatics

Algae ID please

timger

Hi all,

New to the hobby, but long time reader in here. Now it's my turn, to need some help ID some macro algae spreading in my tank.

It started on a LS, sitting on top like a bunch of grass. Now it's spreading to the entire stone, and the stone next to it.

The algae is kind of "strong". Is not moving in the flow from the pump, and it hard to pull of the rock.

I hope I described it ok, English is not my native language, so just ask if I forgot to say anything, or there is something not making sense.

I hope you guys can help me, I really need to get rid of this, before it takes over the entire tank. Thank you

One more picture :-)

post-87757-0-86925600-1429871751_thumb.jpg

post-87757-0-92144700-1429871761_thumb.jpg

post-87757-0-29134600-1429871798_thumb.jpg

post-87757-0-22560400-1429871960_thumb.jpg

Do you own any snails? how quickly does it grow?

I have 2 turbo snails - I think they're called that in English too? - and some hitchhikers I think is Stomatella?

On the last picture, it only was on the top left, and a little on the rest of that stone. I added it around 3 month ago, and now it's all over the stone next to it. But not as heavy, but more single algae growing all over.

Is there some snails or other I could add, that maybe would eat it? And help with the manual picking up :-)

I should add,,that the tank is a little more then 3 month old, 54liters, or around 14g, there is 2 clown, a little corals and then the snails, and nothing else :-)

Whats your native language? Yes turbo is the right name. I hear some sea urchins will do the job well, a few extra species of snails shouldn't hurt but an urchins teeth can do much more damage to the algae. Plucking it is also a good way to eliminate some of it, but it will regrow. How often do you feed the tank?

wrassegauche17

well, same problem, and 3 turbos, 3 astreas, tuxedo urchin and was sea hare cant tackle it. going the tech m route.

hope this helps :)

Hi again,

I'm from Denmark :-)

Maybe I should try get a sea urchin. Can they live in a relatively small tank like mine?

And any recommendation on snails? Astreas and some more maybe?

Usually I feed them 1-1 and a half flake every day, now the get food every second day.is that ok?

Tim

Turf algae, I've always though that they we're kind of soft, and is dancing in the circulation?

I just discovered, that the algae is starting to grow on a new LS. They're kind of hard to pluck off. They're attached really well to the stone, and I have a bad hand - not a good combination:b

Hi again,

I'm from Denmark :-)

Maybe I should try get a sea urchin. Can they live in a relatively small tank like mine?

And any recommendation on snails? Astreas and some more maybe?

Usually I feed them 1-1 and a half flake every day, now the get food every second day.is that ok?

Tim

Denmark, nice, closest I've been to there is Finland, is Denmark much like Finland? I would definitely go for the urchin since the extra cellulose in these algaes are often too much for snails to penetrate much due to the actual feeding mechanisms, snails use extremely small tooth like pieses on a radula to scrape some algae, so snails in general are awesome at microalgaes, and often cyanobacteria. Urchins on the other hand are extremely well built to kill macroalgaes using five self sharpening teeth and having a digestive system well designed to get good nutrition from tough algaes, and for some species a scavenging lifestyle. Not all snails are I'll equipped for the job though, I am not positive of any species that certainly will destroy your algae. chitons I've heard are very good at killing tough marcoalgaes, also some limpets.

Archived