Coral Vue Hydros

Eventually are you planning on getting another KESSIL? Just waiting for the wallet to cooperate?

Nope. No additional Kessils needed. The 360 has plenty of spread to cover the 24' tank length. I could have a very healthy tank with just the Kessil powering it. I only added the additional bulb because I already had it. The single point light source of the Kessil does lead to some additional shadowing on the corals. The Par38 is there to ensure that light hits all the way around.

nanolutionary

Heya nice tank, if you're using red seas complete reef care program (including no3: p04x) you're going to want to ditch the chaeto.

• Like 1

Heya nice tank, if you're using red seas complete reef care program (including no3: p04x) you're going to want to ditch the chaeto.

Thanks. Not using the full Red Sea program yet. Just Reef Foundation A, B, C. (Calc, Alk, Mg)

Thanks for the heads up though. That makes sense. Have you had success with the program?

Nice setup!!..what settings are you with kessil?

Right now... I max out at 60% color and 55% intensity. My photo period is about 9hours. I have the controller so much if that time is ramping up and down.

I'm adding 5% weekly to the intensity. I'd like to get to 65%-70%.

Do you have a Kessil? Any suggestions from your experience?

• Like 1

Right now... I max out at 60% color and 55% intensity. My photo period is about 9hours. I have the controller so much if that time is ramping up and down.

I'm adding 5% weekly to the intensity. I'd like to get to 65%-70%.

Do you have a Kessil? Any suggestions from your experience?

Yes..i go with 360we as you for 6 months ago...i do 25%color 30%intensity(i have super shalow(7inch tall)...

Yes..i go with 360we as you for 6 months ago...i do 25%color 30%intensity(i have super shalow(7inch tall)...

I bought mine from a local guy that ran it at 70%intensity. His tank was a deeper style but had some great results.

In unrelated news...The super long distance FTS. Is that a thing? It is now....

DSC_0930.jpg

• Like 3

Great results from the Red Sea Reef Care Program, would recommend it.

Great to hear. I've been really happy with the alk, calc and mg. Once my tank gets fully stocked, I plan to start the program.

Do you by any chance use the red sea pro salt??

yeah i do, love it mixes so quick too

Do you run your system at the 12 dkh it mixes at?! I have a bucket but have only been using it for water changes. That dkh makes me nervous

Looking good! Following along.

Looking good. Love that rock on the left. Tank looks very clean.

Thanks! It's been a fun tank so far. I'll update some pics in a bit. I went to the LFS and got Sun Polyps, a Red Planet Acro, a Rainbow Goniopora and a Six Line Wrasse.

Until then... I found this pest(?) hitched on to my snail. Not sure what it is but I pulled it off, put it into a bucket of gasoline, threw a match in and mailed the ashes to the South Pole.

20150529_155235_edit_1432951840764.jpg

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Really pumped for this guy. He's been in the tank for about 5 days now. Very scared at first but now he can't stop moving.

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0671.jpg

Also... just like in board games... if you aint cheatin you aint tryin.

DSC_0675.jpg

That little guy in my tank can't get enough of my hand when I put it in to mess with the tank! Awesome little invertebrate. Your tank is looking very nice BTW!

• Like 2

That little guy in my tank can't get enough of my hand when I put it in to mess with the tank! Awesome little invertebrate. Your tank is looking very nice BTW!

Mine is doing the same. He will sit in hiding until my hand goes in the tank. As soon as I am in there, he is like a puppy when you get home from work. Great shrimp!

New additions. I suck at pictures and don't have any any desire to edit. So WYSIWYG :D

Sun Polyps. Opened up in the first 30 mins in the tank.

DSC_0935.jpg

DSC_0942.jpg

Rainbow Goniopora ( Goniopora Stutchburyi) Polyps still waiting to extend. The mother colony has blue, green, red and yellow polyps. Excited to see it grow.

DSC_0941.jpg

Red Planet Acro. Garf Bonsai in the right backround. Unsure of the acro in the left background.

DSC_0939.jpg

Pink Lemonade Acro. Slowly coloring up.

DSC_0940.jpg

Clam hitch hiker I found. Seems to be happy. Very small <2mm opening with what looks to be fleshing protruding.

DSC_0943.jpg

• Like 2

I see people having success feeding corals. I've tried in the past and haven't been convinced.

Regardless of impact to sps, now that I have Sun Polyps and a Rainbow Goni, I have to feed. Hoping everything sees a benefit

Current foods added to the tank....

Roti-feast

Oyster- feast

New life - nutricell

New life - fish food pellets

Mysis

• Like 1

I was worried when I added the Six Line that he would be aggressive towards my Clown. Not at all though. Every time I look at the tank they are cruising around together. Reminds me of a cat and and dog hanging out.

CSC_1002.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Nanofreak79

I had an extra CC Par38 so I added it to shine over the SPS rock. I'll only run it for about 5hrs/day but I think it'll help ensure light hits the corals from all angles.

DSC_0858.jpg

Really love this pic for some reason. I finally have a dslr back. its not like my newer canon, but just a canon xt, still does great pics. I only have a 50mm right now, which sucks for close ups.

I see people having success feeding corals. I've tried in the past and haven't been convinced.

Regardless of impact to sps, now that I have Sun Polyps and a Rainbow Goni, I have to feed. Hoping everything sees a benefit

Current foods added to the tank....

Roti-feast

Oyster- feast

New life - nutricell

New life - fish food pellets

Mysis

try reef roids, corals love it and pods reproduce like crazy.

• Like 1

Thanks! It's been a fun tank so far. I'll update some pics in a bit. I went to the LFS and got Sun Polyps, a Red Planet Acro, a Rainbow Goniopora and a Six Line Wrasse.

Until then... I found this pest(?) hitched on to my snail. Not sure what it is but I pulled it off, put it into a bucket of gasoline, threw a match in and mailed the ashes to the South Pole.

20150529_155235_edit_1432951840764.jpg

Looks like a chiton. Good guy!

• Like 1