Coral Vue Hydros

This Acan started out a vibrant green with blue streaks. It's morphed into a rainbow pattern and pops out babies every other week. The LFS called it an "Elfs Blood" Acan. It's been a fun coral to watch settle in

E6882177-3D9C-4936-9D46-01B45D0E0A40.jpg

In other news. This guy is like a puppy. So much character.

DSC_0212.jpg

That acan is beautiful. I've really found them to be very interesting corals when you get a good color morph and it's in just the right lighting to bring out the colors.

And I like your puppy :D

• Like 1

That acan is beautiful. I've really found them to be very interesting corals when you get a good color morph and it's in just the right lighting to bring out the colors.

And I like your puppy :D

Thanks Teeny. Agreed. I've really enjoyed watching it grow and settle. If I can find another that would offset this one in color, I'll scoop it up and make a mini garden.

The Midas had a great cave front and center. Most people that see it for the first time think its some sort of yellow eel.

DSC_0239.jpg

• Like 2

Just caught up on your thread, you have beautiful tank! I recognize a lot from New wave too - that's been my weakness this summer and now with their anniversary sales it's going to be really hard to not go there and buy too much! Fun seeing updates on this :)

• Like 1

Just caught up on your thread, you have beautiful tank! I recognize a lot from New wave too - that's been my weakness this summer and now with their anniversary sales it's going to be really hard to not go there and buy too much! Fun seeing updates on this :)

Thanks! Do you remember when I bought the strawberry zoas from you? I think we met up in the Trader Joes parking lot.

I'm trying to figure out my plan for that New Wave sale. The prizes are really good. I may use the 40% off coupon and one of the spend $50 save $x coupons.

Have you seen their Ultra Rock Flower bin? They are pretty pricey but there are some beauties in there... (I'll try to post edit this cell pic)

5E3DBC9E-1E15-42E1-8058-9D68F21A7A41.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks! Do you remember when I bought the strawberry zoas from you? I think we met up in the Trader Joes parking lot.

I'm trying to figure out my plan for that New Wave sale. The prizes are really good. I may use the 40% off coupon and one of the spend $50 save $x coupons.

Have you seen their Ultra Rock Flower bin? They are pretty pricey but there are some beauties in there... (I'll try to post edit this cell pic)

5E3DBC9E-1E15-42E1-8058-9D68F21A7A41.jpg

I think I remember the zoas you got?! It's been awhile though if I remember right?

As far as the sales, I was just in on Wednesday to look and saw everything - great as always! I really want to get a possum wrasse for my classroom tank, but they didn't have any in. I might go back today and see if I can get one ordered?

The rock nems are beautiful as well, but I usually get mine from VIP reef as pricing is better.

We'll have to see how this sale plays out and like I said before, great looking tank!

• Like 1

Looking through the side of the tank makes me wish I didn't have a black background. I really like the openness of clear glass on the back. #upgradegoals

DSC_0211_1.jpg

• Like 3
Elizabeth94

I agree. Black backgrounds can be nice, but I fell in love with light backgrounds, which is why I put blue acrylic in my fusion 20. Makes a big difference!

• Like 1

Pretty sure this is red bubble algae. Despite its evasive nature it's really quite cool to look at. This strand has remained very confined to a single location for months. Doesn't spread like green.

DSC_0218.jpg

• Like 2
pimp4cheddar

Wow...beautiful tank. Absolutely stunning!!

I just read all 16 pages and was blown away. I was actually looking at this tank earlier today and pricing it out with LED's (thinking AI LED's)...but wasn't sure where to put it in the house.

My LFS was trying to sell me on the Kessil Spotlight but I feel like the coverage is an issue compared to something like the AI Hydra 26 HD. I'm not a fan of the spotlight effect...figured it'll look better with a decently wide unit (12-15 inches wide).

I'm most likely going to pull the trigger on this and upgrade my 6 gallon (the time has come).

Any issues with the filtration, also what are you running in the back for filtration? Any negative feedback on the tank? I hear the return pump should be upgraded and a powerhead needs to be added...but that's not to bad.

• Like 1

Wow...beautiful tank. Absolutely stunning!!

I just read all 16 pages and was blown away. I was actually looking at this tank earlier today and pricing it out with LED's (thinking AI LED's)...but wasn't sure where to put it in the house.

My LFS was trying to sell me on the Kessil Spotlight but I feel like the coverage is an issue compared to something like the AI Hydra 26 HD. I'm not a fan of the spotlight effect...figured it'll look better with a decently wide unit (12-15 inches wide).

I'm most likely going to pull the trigger on this and upgrade my 6 gallon (the time has come).

Any issues with the filtration, also what are you running in the back for filtration? Any negative feedback on the tank? I hear the return pump should be upgraded and a powerhead needs to be added...but that's not to bad.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. It's been a lot of fun.

No major complaints on the tank. The ONLY thing I wish was better is the media baskets. The are pretty poor. I have an intank media basket in the return that receives the most flow and the stock IM basket in the other. Both just hold filter floss- nothing else.

You are correct. Most likely you will want to upgrade the return. I run a sicce 1.5 return and an rw-4 power head at 40-50%. I have been really happy with both.

I also run an IM reactor- switching between carbon and GFO every month or so. Gotta be really careful with GFO. Too much and yer toast.

Other than that, weekly 1.5-2gal water changes do the bulk of my nutrient maintenance. As long as you can stay on top of that, I don't see anything better.

I'd definitely go AI over the Kessil. Both are great lights, but I just don't see the growth results with Kessil.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help at all.

My first and only clam sitting in the SPS forest. In hindsight I wish I would've placed her in the sandbed rather than on a rock. She's growing well and very content, so she gets to stay where she is. It'll be interesting as the SPS continues to grow around her.

DSC_0221.jpg

Random lil Acro. I believe its some sort of Tort. Very blue with really solid PE.

DSC_0217.jpg

• Like 3

Experiencing a Bristle Worm boom. Creepy lil dudes. They don't seem to be bothering anything so I'll let them stick around. Welcome to the CUC.

FDB67C9A-B172-4DB1-93D7-C9E9D42C883F.jpg

• Like 1

Other than that, weekly 1.5-2gal water changes do the bulk of my nutrient maintenance. As long as you can stay on top of that, I don't see anything better.

I'm starting to get the feeling I change out too much water at once? 4 gallons every 2-3 weeks. I should probably do something similar to what you're doing, but the ease of filling up a 5-gal bucket and using it all at once is quite nice. Maybe a 3-gal bucket is in my future...

• Like 1

I'm starting to get the feeling I change out too much water at once? 4 gallons every 2-3 weeks. I should probably do something similar to what you're doing, but the ease of filling up a 5-gal bucket and using it all at once is quite nice. Maybe a 3-gal bucket is in my future...

I struggle with this too. I use a 5gal pale and often end up tossing about 2 gallons of it. I don't like the aging saltwater to go into the tank.

I think you can definitely do a 4 gal water change IF you can really match the parameters. I know I can't match them to the extent that I would like so more frequent smaller changes work well.

I use aquavitro salt, and keep the tank around the same alk/mag/salinity, so it's not too drastic a change. It still feels like something about the new water 'startles' the corals, even if it's not outright harmful.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick cell pic. Added two Acros today.

I believe this one is an Aqua Delight (left center). Time will tell as it colors up.

09DFFF63-6AA3-4B90-BE2A-03AF6E65B338.jpg

The other Acro is a very small light purple deepwater.

• Like 4

My G2 Radion schedule. Been running this for a bit and getting good colors but slow-ish growth on some. I'll be moving my whites up to 35% at peak over the coming weeks.

14A3EC52-5F13-4D3C-A547-0B1BCD778CDF.png

ADDB7398-C178-4389-ACFF-D3B9A01D814A.png

• Like 1

Quick cell pics of some additions.

Wheeler Goby. Hopefully it'll pair up with the Pistol near by.

20160831_132442.jpg

Two Red Dragon Acro's (one for a bud)

20160831_132414.jpg

Things are full. After I glue down the Red Dragon I am done with any coral additions.

20160831_132946.jpg

• Like 7

Very nice! :)

Thanks man. Fully focused on getting some upwards growth now. I messed around with my power head to get better flow to the SPS. I'm set at about 33x turnover now. Polyps look happier already

• Like 1

Thought this was interesting to see. When young brittle stars reach a certain development point they lose their larval arms. Those arms can then grow into other brittle stars. I'm assuming that's what happened here.

20160827_100456.jpg

• Like 3